Payment of income tax under Section 41, paragraph two of the Revenue Code

webfact

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

How easy is it to take my car?  I accept it will be a righthand drive amongst most lefthanders.

Good point - Laos and Cambodia do it on the right.  That is another tick for Malaysia then. 

No it is not 'easy' - but it can be done - never done myself - but once read about doing it somewhere.

I think you need to get a Visa approved/stamped and get Raod Transport documentation done first.

Many years ago I did the border run to Vientienne for another 12 months on my O-A Retirement Visa and was thinking of driving over.

I parked in Nong Khai and took the bus instead :biggrin:

Maybe talk to an agent who could organise the Visa and Car approval (for a fee).  Worth it if it is something you are going to do every 6 months or so over future years. 

2 hours ago, Andrew Mind said:

... There is a slight exception, if you do not have a Thai bank account or you close your Thai bank account, then the tax office in Thailand simply most likely will not be able or will not initiate a request to the CRS system, since you simply do not have a bank account in Thailand and Thailand banks simple no have information about your foreign bank accounts, that is, it is very problematic to somehow do it manually and compare data with the data of the foreign account from which you sent money transfers to a bank in Thailand to the personal account of the Thai wife, son, friend and so on. But if you have always previously sent money from your foreign bank account to your bank account in Thailand, and from 2024 you will send money from the same account, but to the account of your Thai wife, son, friend then the tax office will quickly identify this method of tax evasion.

So someone who: i) is not a Thai national, ii) does not have a Thai bank account,  and iii) does not meet the Thai tax-resident threshold of staying in Thailand for more than 180 days, were to wire from abroad a < Bt10 million gift to a Thai national, that gift is unlikely to be subject to this proposed income tax nor any Thai gift tax?

3 hours ago, salween said:

So someone who: i) is not a Thai national, ii) does not have a Thai bank account,  and iii) does not meet the Thai tax-resident threshold of staying in Thailand for more than 180 days, were to wire from abroad a < Bt10 million gift to a Thai national, that gift is unlikely to be subject to this proposed income tax nor any Thai gift tax?

Yes in this case, for example if you transfer money from foreign bank account to foreign bank account of your close relative or friend(whom is not stay or stay <180 days in Thailand). And then him transfer money as gift or as support funds to your Thai bank account(when you are tax resident(>180 days in Thailand) not more than 10 millions baht calendar year, then you and him do not need to pay any Thailand taxes. Or not then more 20 millions baht if this your close relative, but in this case you need to make some paperwork verified in consular of Thailand (marriage or born certificate, etc) for proof about you close foreign relatives for Thailand bank and for Thai tax office. And someone(close relative or friend) also can be a Thai national and also have own bank account in Thailand and a foreign bank account, but not a tax resident in Thailand (stay <180 days in Thailand).

Also, if your foreign friend or relative(whom is not stay or stay <180 days in Thailand) transfers money to your Thai wife, for example if you do not have an account in a Thai bank, but your Thai wife does. Then in this case up to 10 million baht per calendar year because your foreign friend or relative is not a close relative of your Thai wife, so the gift tax-free limit will be 10 million baht per calendar year.

And someone whom transfer money to your Thailand bank account or your Thai wife bank account or friends bank account in Thailand (close relative or friend) also can be a Thai national and also have own bank account in Thailand and a foreign bank account, but not a tax resident in current calendar year in Thailand (stays <180 days in Thailand). In this case also no need to pay any Thailand taxes nor you nor Thai national.

Edited by Andrew Mind
Additional information

And also... if your foreign close relative or friend will be come in Thailand and open Thai bank account, then leave Thailand(for example him not like Thailand and not want stay at Thailand), then him can transfer money from his foreign bank account to his Thai bank account without any limits, and then him will transfer this money as gift from his Thai bank account to your bank account or to your Thai wife bank account or to your friend Thai bank account (with proof of your and him are close relatives <20 millions of Thai baht) or without proof <10 millions of Thai baht, then nor you nor your foreign close relative or friend do not need to pay any Thailand taxes. Also this is true, if your foreign friend or close relative is a Thai national with bank account in Thailand, but not stayed in Thailand more than 180 days in current calendar year.

Edited by Andrew Mind
  • Like 1

If someone wants a simpler explanation, then essentially in 2024, if the Thai tax office and Thai banks want to check every personal money transfer, then quite by chance everyone here will become each other’s best friends. Not rich remote workers will find their friends on both sides, retired grandfathers will find other retired grandfathers and everyone will send money as gifts to each other or to Thai close relatives or Thai friends.

Yes, the scheme will certainly become more complicated, maybe there will be scammers, maybe there will be companies that have a number of trusted persons with personal accounts in different countries and who are not tax residents in Thailand.

As for wealthy foreigners, those who need to transfer more than 10 or 20 million Thai baht per year to Thailand, they will simply apply for loans, eternal credits, or debts abroad, and as you know, loans, credits and debts are not taxed(Loans you take out abroad to live in Thailand as a Thai tax resident). This also applies to the tax legislation of Thailand. Just to formalize all this they will need to do a lot of hard paperwork, but rich people will not personally do this work themselves, they will hire lawyers on both sides and they will do everything for them. And they will repay the loans abroad, and in Thailand they will not pay taxes.

After all, no one wants empty paperwork. This means that many who are not ready to leave Thailand, for example, for family reasons and pay taxes, will begin to transfer funds to Thailand in this way.

And then what will happen in the end? At the most, Thais can tighten the tax legislation in the field of gifts and material assistance, but this will only affect poor people, the collection of taxes from whom will already be very small compared to the budget of Thailand.

But no one will collect taxes on loans, credits and debts, because all over the world this is how it works for rich and very rich people and no one will allow it to be changed somehow. And for these people, now and then it turns out to be much cheaper to pay interest on loans and credits.

If Thailand wants to change its tax laws in the future so that any money earned abroad will be subject to income tax, and not just money that was transferred to Thai banks from foreign bank accounts, then this will again only hit the poor and people with an average income, but will not in any way affect the rich and very wealthy people who will continue to use loans, eternal credits and debt obligations abroad(I am not 100% sure about this at this time).

There is nothing good and nothing funny about this, but this is the reality. There was a conditional tax paradise in Thailand, apparently it will end soon. Otherwise, if poor foreigners don’t make friends and don’t want to pay full taxes, they will live in Thailand for less than 180 days a year.

I hope this message will help to people realize that there are a lot of ways to get around the restrictions. Otherwise, the rich will again become richer and the poor will become poorer.

Edited by Andrew Mind
  • Confused 1

On 11/23/2023 at 11:02 AM, TroubleandGrumpy said:

What is needed is for the Thai RD to clarifiy what type of Expat's money remitted into Thailand is deemed as 'assesable income'.  

Until then we dont know what is going to be viewed as taxable income, and we are all stil 'watching this space'

They aren't even thinking about expats in this new law.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Andrew Mind said:

This is taxable income and with Thailand connected to the CRS system and other tax data exchange tools, they will know about the transfers of your money for a particular calendar year from your overseas bank account. There is a slight exception, if you do not have a Thai bank account or you close your Thai bank account, then the tax office in Thailand simply most likely will not be able or will not initiate a request to the CRS system, since you simply do not have a bank account in Thailand and Thailand banks simple no have information about your foreign bank accounts, that is, it is very problematic to somehow do it manually and compare data with the data of the foreign account from which you sent money transfers to a bank in Thailand to the personal account of the Thai wife, son, friend and so on. But if you have always previously sent money from your foreign bank account to your bank account in Thailand, and from 2024 you will send money from the same account, but to the account of your Thai wife, son, friend then the tax office will quickly identify this method of tax evasion.

Interesting.

I can buy Bitcoin and top up my crypto.com, or Revolut card and buy gold in Thailand. I could also get a WISE card I think.

I can sell my Bitcoin P2P on crypto exchanges, getting Thai baht sent to my Thai bank accounts.

There are so many different ways.  

Are WISE, Revolut, actual banks that the Thais can ask for details?

Edited by Neeranam
  • Haha 1

On 11/25/2023 at 10:44 AM, Andrew Mind said:

you cannot gift funds without first paying income tax on them

This is your interpretation or can you provide a legal source?

AFAIK tax liability is on the person who receives the gift not the gifter (Anyway gifter can be totally out of reach from TRD).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

But I will say this - the more we expats talk and complain - the more chance we have that they will make exemptions and allowances. Socila media silence achieves nothing - all the Thai partners complaining that their Farang is going to leave Thailand is a good thing. Clearly this Thai Govt is reactionary - I say give them something to react too.

Maybe, but maybe staying quiet is better and remain under the radar. 

Are the many resident foreigners who don't already pay tax on the income they take into Thailand?

7 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Maybe, but maybe staying quiet is better and remain under the radar. 

Are the many resident foreigners who don't already pay tax on the income they take into Thailand?

Yes - for those in that position they are better off if it all remains quiet and they stay under the radar.

But the majority are not in that situation and we just want certainty.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Yes - for those in that position they are better off if it all remains quiet and they stay under the radar.

But the majority are not in that situation and we just want certainty.

Hmmm....maybe the majority wants to stay under the radar, therefore not posting....

• Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

No - social media complaints and media stories can and do.

I don't think so in this case.It's been a theme for successive Thai governments to upgrade the quality of foreign tourists and residents, specifically discouraging the indigent and encouraging the wealthy.I can assure you that the concerns of some foreign residents fretting about paying a limited amount of income tax will not weigh heavy with Thai decision makers - however many whiny social media posts are made.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, The Cyclist said:

Did you miss this part of the original announcement ?

Any chance that you could calm down to a panic.

The only people who are going to get caught up in unintended consequences are people who have not been paying the correct taxes that they should have been paying

That comment is a generalised opinion - it is not a statement of fact. I know you want that satement to be a fact, but it is not.

Clearly you not understand how DTAs work. You (company) have to claim 'tax credits' on taxes already paid, and/or you have to provide proof that the money received here in Thailand comes from sources already taxed, and/or that the money received here in Thailand is exempt from taxes in Thailand. AND the Thai RD has to accept your 'proof' and the Thai RD has to agree that you are not liable for income taxes.  Unlike what some people think - DTAs are not a 'get out of jail card'. 

Here is a link to something that is no longer true from 1 January 2024. 

Do you need to pay income taxes when retiring in Thailand? | Thaiger (thethaiger.com) 

This one is more up to date - however what is deemed to be 'taxable income' (eg. is a pension) has not been declared.

Thailand Foreign Source Income Personal Tax - SHERRINGS

No one knows until Thai RD providses the details - but it would be wise to plan ahead, and stay across the issue. 

image.png.172a0730e85b144b0c6ed58080e5416a.png

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

That comment is a generalised opinion

That comment comes from the original declaration from the Thai RD. So it is hardly a generalised opinion.

I have told you and others ( IMO ) income that has been taxed in your home Country is very unlikely  to be subject to Thai tax.

The only people ( IMO ) that is going to smacked in the goolies are people who have ( by means legal and by using loopholes ) avoided paying taxes.

32 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

his one is more up to date - however what is deemed to be 'taxable income' (eg. is a pension) has not been declared.

No pensions haven't been mentioned because

A resident of Thailand* who, during the course of a preceding tax year derives assessable income under Section 40**, from a post or office of employment outside Thailand or a business outside Thailand or assets outside Thailand, shall pay tax, 

It again focus's on the initial 3 things mentioned in the original RD announcement

* Employment

* Business

* Other Assets

You do fully understand the meaning of this ?

Also exempt will be those who have been taxed in a foreign country that has a standing Double Tax Agreement with Thailand.

Stuff that has already been taxed  will be exempt for those that come from a Country that has a DTA with Thailand.

2 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

People wanting certainty in their lives, shouldn't live in Thailand

Fair enough overall - but not when it comes to income taxes.  As Capone and many others have found out the hard way, they are as serious as not wearing a helmet when riding a motorbike. You can ignore them all you want, but the 'penalty' when 'caught out' can be very bad for both - not worth the risk IMO.  But yes the is never certainty here - and it is up to you whether you care or not.

2 hours ago, jayboy said:

I don't think so in this case.It's been a theme for successive Thai governments to upgrade the quality of foreign tourists and residents, specifically discouraging the indigent and encouraging the wealthy.I can assure you that the concerns of some foreign residents fretting about paying a limited amount of income tax will not weigh heavy with Thai decision makers - however many whiny social media posts are made.

Yes that is true - but there are also thousands of Thai wives/partners also expressing their opinions.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Cyclist said:

That comment comes from the original declaration from the Thai RD. So it is hardly a generalised opinion.

I have told you and others ( IMO ) income that has been taxed in your home Country is very unlikely  to be subject to Thai tax.

The only people ( IMO ) that is going to smacked in the goolies are people who have ( by means legal and by using loopholes ) avoided paying taxes.

No pensions haven't been mentioned because

It again focus's on the initial 3 things mentioned in the original RD announcement

* Employment

* Business

* Other Assets

You do fully understand the meaning of this ?

Stuff that has already been taxed  will be exempt for those that come from a Country that has a DTA with Thailand.

Plus re-read that part above in my post which clearly states under the Thai RD latest directive, " 2. ALL rulings, regulations, orders, response to consultations or practices that are contrary to or inconsistent with this Instruction are cancelled: and 3. This instruction shall apply to foreign sourced income brought into Thailand from 1st January 2024 onwards."  What that means is that all bets are off and everything starts again from scratch. However, the Thai RD initial directive in September and all since then, including the one above provided on 20 November 2023, are likely to be challenged in the Courts. 

Mate - let me finish with this - I hope you are right - but you might be wrong - I will plan accordingly.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

2. ALL rulings, regulations, orders, response to consultations or practices that are contrary to or inconsistent with this Instruction are cancelled: and 3. This instruction shall apply to foreign sourced income brought into Thailand from 1st January 2024 onwards.

Do you think that the above could possibly pertain to the loopholes that they are currently trying to close. And is nothing whatsoever to do with income remitted to Thailand from 01 Jan 2024 that has already been taxed in the source Country ?

This is not an exercise in trying to catch people who have already paid tax. It is an exercise to catch people who are not paying tax.

On 11/23/2023 at 9:06 PM, Mike Lister said:

"In the future".....that people can see such things is truly amazing, presumably an AI system will calculate such tax!   

Ah Mr Farang, we assess you owe us X Baht tax this year because you have a rental property/investment account in the UK that will have earned Y income, okay? 

If anyone believes that will come to pass, I own a bridge that's for sale in San Francisco.

Our home countries (UK, DE, FR, you name them) are perfectly able, if they so want, to collect every last tax penny on money we hold in any country in the World, so why would Thailand be per se unable to do so? To bank on the Thai bungling because they've been known to bungle in other fields is of little help. Would you feel comfortable using hard drugs in Thailand just because Thai police is much less efficient than US or UK police at catching the occasional hard drug user?

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1