Visa when half year Thailand and half year home country

Some years I have lived full time in LOS, now I want to change to only stay here only half of the year and stay the other part of the year in my home country.

Until now I have used the 800.000 in bank retirement visa/extensions.

I was thinking to keep this visa, maybe change to 65.000 fixed income a month.

This visa I had in some years, it is maked here in LOS, without the health assurance requirements, I will be good covered in my homecountry with health assurance,so I dont want to make new non O visa from my home country with expencieves thai health assurances.

My plan is to stay here about 5.5 month a year in the future without travels outside LOS, can/shall I keep my good old non O retirement visa, even I am not here the hole year ?

I know I must inform the immigration office before I go abroad, to keep the visa.

What about the 90 days information, will it be canceled, in the half year I am abroad and start again when I return to LOS ?

• Like 1

You do not have a "good old retirement visa" 

You have a 12 month permission of stay.

One option to spend 6 months in Thailand and 6 in USA is to simply continue to re apply for annual extension of your permission of stay.

The 90 day report is irrelevant.

You will do those during your 6 months in Thailand.

You do not need to notify immigration that you are leaving country at any point.

Insurance is not required for extensions from a non O .

I also use money in the bank method.

My most recent extension was last Oct.

I'm changing to "income method" .

For the next 12 months I will maintain the 800k+ in Thai bank and at same time do monthly transfers of 65k+ 

AU is same as USA in that embassy does not provide income letter. 

My overlap of both methods for one year is to cover any possible nonsense from immigration.

There are other ways of spending 6 months in Thailand....however thinking annual extensions best option 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, finnsk said:

Some years I have lived full time in LOS, now I want to change to only stay here only half of the year and stay the other part of the year in my home country.

Until now I have used the 800.000 in bank retirement visa/extensions.

I was thinking to keep this visa, maybe change to 65.000 fixed income a month.

This visa I had in some years, it is maked here in LOS, without the health assurance requirements, I will be good covered in my homecountry with health assurance,so I dont want to make new non O visa from my home country with expencieves thai health assurances.

My plan is to stay here about 5.5 month a year in the future without travels outside LOS, can/shall I keep my good old non O retirement visa, even I am not here the hole year ?

I know I must inform the immigration office before I go abroad, to keep the visa.

What about the 90 days information, will it be canceled, in the half year I am abroad and start again when I return to LOS ?

You don't have to inform immigration when you are leaving the country, just don't forget to get a re-entry permit before you leave, 90 day reports only have to be done when spending 90 consecutive days in the country, the count will restart when you come back to Thailand

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You do not have a "good old retirement visa" 

You have a 12 month permission of stay.

One option to spend 6 months in Thailand and 6 in USA is to simply continue to re apply for annual extension of your permission of stay.

The 90 day report is irrelevant.

You will do those during your 6 months in Thailand.

You do not need to notify immigration that you are leaving country at any point.

Insurance is not required for extensions from a non O .

I also use money in the bank method.

My most recent extension was last Oct.

I'm changing to "income method" .

For the next 12 months I will maintain the 800k+ in Thai bank and at same time do monthly transfers of 65k+ 

AU is same as USA in that embassy does not provide income letter. 

My overlap of both methods for one year is to cover any possible nonsense from immigration.

There are other ways of spending 6 months in Thailand....however thinking annual extensions best option 

Thanks for given a detailed ansver, it is very usefull,

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, flexomike said:

You don't have to inform immigration when you are leaving the country, just don't forget to get a re-entry permit before you leave, 90 day reports only have to be done when spending 90 consecutive days in the country, the count will restart when you come back to Thailand

Thanks for your answer and specially your point about the reentry permit, I think that is important to keep the visa. I will go for keep on with my yearly visa extensions

20 minutes ago, finnsk said:

I will go for keep on with my yearly visa extensions

Think that's best option. 

Regarding reentry permit...seems you will only require single reentry permit.

That can be obtained on same visit to immigration for your extension.

Single reentry 1000b .

Multi 3800b. 

Can also obtain at airport on day of departure. 

The window you need to keep eye on is your extension.

Obviously you need to be in Thailand to apply.

That can be done up to 30 days prior to expiry of your permit or 45 days prior at some offices. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Think that's best option. 

Regarding reentry permit...seems you will only require single reentry permit.

That can be obtained on same visit to immigration for your extension.

Single reentry 1000b .

Multi 3800b. 

Can also obtain at airport on day of departure. 

The window you need to keep eye on is your extension.

Obviously you need to be in Thailand to apply.

That can be done up to 30 days prior to expiry of your permit or 45 days prior at some offices. 

Thanks for using your time, your answers is very usefull.

14 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You're absolutely right about that (as you helpfully point out every single time the subject arises) but almost everyone refers to the extensions as "retirement visas" and everyone knows what those who do choose to use the term means.

Also Re-entry permit at airport is mentioned on 99% of his post - he loves it...

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Liquorice said:
16 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You're absolutely right about that (as you helpfully point out every single time the subject arises) but almost everyone refers to the extensions as "retirement visas" and everyone knows what those who do choose to use the term means.

Those that use the term 'retirement visa' for extensions of stay are simply ignorant of the conditions by which they are permitted to stay in Thailand.

How could you ever know that "they are simply ignorant"?  Perhaps it's easier just to refer to them as retirement visas, as most people do.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How could you know that?

Know what exactly? (Note, you've edited your post since my reply).

Because I've questioned them and get that 'blank' stare.

There is no such visa type as 'retirement', or 'marriage', only Non Imm O single or multiple entries issued for the purpose of 'retirement' or 'Thai spouse'.
The Non Imm O-A visa is issued only to those for the purpose of retirement.

The words 'retirement' or 'Thai spouse' will never be displayed on a visa issued by a Thai Embassy.
Visas display the 'type', the 'category' and the permitted number of 'entries'.

1 year extensions of stay issued by local Immigration offices are 'permits', not 'visas'.
A stamp 'retirement' or 'Marriage' is hand stamped above the extension, denoting the purpose and reason of the 1-year extension.

Here's a typical question posted on the forum for you to answer!
I have a Non O visa but have to leave the Country for a family emergency. Will I have an issue on re-entering?

Edited by Liquorice

1 hour ago, Liquorice said:

Those that use the term 'retirement visa' for extensions of stay are simply ignorant of the conditions by which they are permitted to stay in Thailand.

While it's always best to use correct terminology, it's a bit harsh to suggest that it's "ignorant" if one refers to their long-term stay here as a retirement visa.  Most expats here in Chiangmai do refer to it as their "retirement visa".  Multiple signs in the Chiangmai Immigration office expressly refer to "retirement visas" but might be wise not to tell those officials they are ignorant.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

You don't really mention WHY you want to stay consecutive ONLY days  in Thailand OP?? But if you are aiming at " about 5.5 months " as you stated it's pretty easy to get a 60 day tourist visa in your home country and extend 30 days easily in country. Then take a short holiday anywhere like Saigon KL etc for week or so. Enjoy another place or a new place and return to Thailand visa exempt for 30 days and extend easily 30 more days in country. Then go to your home country.  A METV would work as well with just one short trip out.  Why keep 800k here in Thailand if you are away 6.5 months?? You also won't have to do the 90 day report here this way. 

17 hours ago, flexomike said:

So if you extend your 1 yr (say in March), then leave a week later with a Re-Entry permit, there is no worries if you arrive back just in time to run the paperwork for another extension in say February of the following year?

3 minutes ago, CMBob said:

While it's always best to use correct terminology, it's a bit harsh to suggest that it's "ignorant" if one refers to their long-term stay here as a retirement visa.  Most expats here in Chiangmai do refer to it as their "retirement visa".  Multiple signs in the Chiangmai Immigration office expressly refer to "retirement visas" but might be wise not to tell those officials they are ignorant.

Most Immigration officials are totally ignorant on the issue of what constitutes a visa, as they've never travelled overseas.
It's clearly written in both Thai and English language on the documents you complete and sign at Immigration that you are submitting, and acknowledging an application for a 'permit' (of stay).

Not being native English speakers, it's far easier for an Immigration official to refer to everything as a 'visa' (like the re-entry visa) rather than the mouthful of 'extension of stay'.
They may be under the illusion you are extending your visa, which you can't, and they need to read their own written documentation.
I seriously doubt they know the difference, however that doesn't excuse those who speak and read English from understanding and using the correct terminology.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

So if you extend your 1 yr (say in March), then leave a week later with a Re-Entry permit, there is no worries if you arrive back just in time to run the paperwork for another extension in say February of the following year?

Correct.
Provided you still meet the criteria and financial requirements.

Edited by Liquorice
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, garygooner said:

If someone decided to stay just 3 months every year in Thailand and 9 months in their home country would it still be a good idea to just continue their annual retirement extensions? 

3 months or 90 days, there could be a difference.

A tourist visa will grant a stay of 60 days on entry, and your period of stay can be extended for a further 30 days.

A Non Imm O single entry visa will grant a stay of 90 days on entry.

A Non Imm 0-A (multiple entry, requires mandatory Health Insurance) grants a stay on 1 year on entry.

Entering visa exempt will grant a stay of 30 days and your period of stay can be extended for a further 30 days.

Alternatively, you could further make up to 2 land border crossings and re-enter VE, which grants a stay of 30 days each entry and each period of stay can be extended for a further 30 days.

• Thanks 1

In Phuket the Immigration Office has prepared a useful leaflet with a list of requirements necessary for the annual renewal  of the permit to stay, and the title of the leaflet is "Check List for One Year Retirement Visa".

Wrong, but I certainly won't be the one to explain them that they are wrong....

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, my comment was not nonsense.

Of course you don't realize it, but most of your comments are nonsense.

Just use the correct terms, how difficult can it be. Visa for a visa. Extension for an extension.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, federicoP said:

In Phuket the Immigration Office has prepared a useful leaflet with a list of requirements necessary for the annual renewal  of the permit to stay, and the title of the leaflet is "Check List for One Year Retirement Visa".

Wrong, but I certainly won't be the one to explain them that they are wrong....

It's easier that way. If they used the correct terminology it would just confuse the ignoranuses...oops ignoramuses. 

On 11/23/2023 at 6:37 PM, DrJack54 said:

Agreed. But the OP will need to ensure

he is here for the renewal date and make sure he gets a re entry permit before he leaves Thailand or his extension of stay will be cancelled by exiting.