Geert Wilders' victory in Netherlands election spooks Europe

CharlieH

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

You clearly don't understand what Brexit was about. It wasn't about the past, it was about the future. The EU has morphed from a simple trading bloc into a political project aimed at creating a United States of Europe. A federalist, anti-democratic project which the majority of UK citizens that cared enough to vote, could see and roundly rejected in one of the greatest examples of Democracy in recent history. We got out while the going was good. While we were still able to. 

There has been no chaos. Project Fear has been proven to be a lie. In fact, the UK economy is doing well and out performing many of it's European counterparts, including France and Germany. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/09/29/uk-economy-growth-france-germany-sunak-inflation/#:~:text=The UK economy has performed,a boost to Rishi Sunak.

Wilders victory is just more evidence that voters are rejecting the EU. Rightly so. Expect more to come. 

Even Wilders himself didn't see that coming, so he can hardly be said to be riding a clear wave of sentiment. I suspect, much like brexit, it's the nutters who won it while the majority are turned off by the rantings of extremists at both ends of the spectrum.

I am glad to hear that, after all these years, the objective of brexit has finally been confirmed. But can you expand it beyond nebulous, meaningless soundbites? 

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

The majority (of those who cared enough to vote on Brexit) voted to leave the EU. The minority that wanted to stay, lost.  

I guess 7 years hasn't been long enough for you to comprehend that. Yours is a minority position.  

Let's hope Wilders gets his wish for a referendum on Nexit. The Dutch people deserve to be given a say on their country's future, the country's future lack of sovereignty. For anyone who wishes to deny them the right I have one question, what are you so afraid of?

Wilders' share of votes reflects the results of polls asking about Nexit, around 25%. Why waste time and money for a referendum about it?

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, sirineou said:

Given what you know, what you said might make sense to you, but unfortunately for you and many others , what you know is not the full picture. 

When trump was elected, I often posted that trump was a danger, but that he was not the real danger. 

The real danger is that the players saw how much more  they can get away with, and how much the electorate would buy.

and players will be players,

I said, "one way of another trump will go away, but trump wannabes will always be around. and now they have a new play, in their play book

And we see this play all around the world. 

Most countries are depopulating, this is a fact, first world women are not having enough children. That is a fact.

The US has an advantage in this paradigm, they have an immigrant culture, and are a desirable immigrant   destination, so they are able to maintain population and grow. 

If they are to survive as viable economies, European countries need to learn from the above lesson. Either have more children or replace your population with immigrants.

It is as simple as that. 

But the immigration issue is a wedge issue that players will use, and "players will be players" they will play every card they have, and Ethnocentrism is a card the hold. 

The Brits shot themselves in the foot by it, the Netherlands will shoot their foots also , and I am afraid that unless the immigration issue is addressed in a sustainable fashion, and a way that it is palatable to all involved, more countries are not far behind. 

Trump in at line 3! Nothing like staying on topic! Brilliant!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, RayC said:

Perhaps those of the opinion that the UK has no need of immigrants could explain why - having left the EU and now being fully in control of immigration - the UK government has simply decided to replace the work-shy, lazy EU nationals - who used to take all our jobs and scround off the British state (err ...🤔) - with lazy, scrounging Indians, Nigerians, Pakistanis and Ukrainians?

Bad policy I agree. But what's new there?