O-A to O money

My O-A visa expires on Dec 5 and I'll change to an O visa. Border run next week and enter on 30 day voa. Applying for an O visa, is there a two month money in the bank requirement on application day? That would be impossible for a 30 day visa holder but I've read it is / it isn't needed. Anyone know what's what for Jomtien? 

44 minutes ago, Fujionrye said:

My O-A visa expires on Dec 5 and I'll change to an O visa. Border run next week and enter on 30 day voa. Applying for an O visa, is there a two month money in the bank requirement on application day? That would be impossible for a 30 day visa holder but I've read it is / it isn't needed. Anyone know what's what for Jomtien? 

I suggest you immediately do one of two things.

Go into the Jomtein Immigration Office and ask those questions and find out what is needed and how best to do it.

Go and see an Agent and ask those questions and find out what is needed and how best to do it - and how much they charge for doing it.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Fujionrye said:

My O-A visa expires on Dec 5 and I'll change to an O visa.

OP, assume that you are aware that if your O-A visa is still valid you can border bounce prior to Dec 5 and obtain another 12 month permission of stay.

Of course you would need to obtain insurance for that period.

Aside from that...how long have you had the funds in Thai bank account in your name only. 

Jomtien is rogue and as pointed out previously have been asking for 2 months seasoning on day of application for non O which of course is not correct..

As for proof funds came from o/s you can obtain "credit advice" from bank.

• Like 1

I think suggesting you go to the local immigration office before you leave the country was a good idea.  As noted ask them (confirm they will accept the money already in your Thailand account that came from abroad and that you have been using with your type-OA for years as proof).

A couple of years ago I switched from a Type-OA to Type-O visa , where the immigration office I go to is Phuket immigration. I had been on a Type-OA (with annual extensions) on this Type-OA since year 2019, .. I used the exact same fixed account for the Type-O as I had previously used for the Type-OA.  They did not in my case ask for proof for the 'new' Type-O that my money came from abroad.  If they had checked their records they would have seen it was the identical bank account.  If asked, I probably could have dug up the proof (dating back to year ~2016) but it would have been a pain to dig up.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

As noted ask them (confirm they will accept the money already in your Thailand account that came from abroad and that you have been using with your type-OA for years as proof).

Where did OP state that he has been obtaining ongoing extensions from his non O-A. 

The OP stated ...."My O-A visa expires on Dec 5 and I'll change to an O visa. 

Just another example of confusion from OP,s that do not state correct information and expect helpful replies.

Also do not contribute to their own thread. 

23 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Just another example of confusion from OP,s that do not state correct information and expect helpful replies.

Also do not contribute to their own thread. 

Suspect some people post and then return later to read rather than stay watching forum - especially when it is as slow as it is today.  His last post was made 5 hours age and that was when he seems to have departed.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Suspect some people post and then return later to read rather than stay watching forum - especially when it is as slow as it is today.  His last post was made 5 hours age and that was when he seems to have departed.

He was in forum 30 minutes ago. 

Just ridiculous not to address his own OP.

Happens all the time. 

States in OP that he has valid non O-A.

Waste of time. 

• Confused 1

Ok, here's what happened. My first year OA visa is multiple entry, expires November 22. Arrived swampy Oct 14 and Immigration stamped my passport visa expires Dec 5, the date my insurance expires. Renewed  the insurance for a year, went to Jomtien soi 5 for a year extension and they said nope, year two is done Dec 5. Didn't expecting this. I did wire 1.5m baht just before I left Canada and it arrived Oct 17. So, not two months and now have to go to O visa. 

I have the wire transfer receipt from Canada and got a letter today from Krungsri bank. The letter says the money arrived Oct 17 and was transferred through Bangkok bank. Doesn't say it was from off shore but the amount lines up. Good enough?

Thanks for your replies. 

11 hours ago, Fujionrye said:

. So, not two months and now have to go to O visa. 

I have the wire transfer receipt from Canada and got a letter today from Krungsri bank. The letter says the money arrived Oct 17 and was transferred through Bangkok bank. Doesn't say it was from off shore but the amount lines up. Good enough?

You need to get the credit advice from Bangkok Bank.

You didn't receive the 12 month stamp for your most recent entry as you did not have insurance.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Fujionrye said:

I was going to do the same, but at Samui Immigration. After three visits to make sure it was possible and even taking a printout of the conditions from the RTPI website, I was told" you cannot". "This is from Bangkok, go to Bangkok", and threw the printout back at me. 

So, Samui doesn't allow this!!

Thanks for the helpful replies. My insurance agent told me not to renew from Canada. Note to self..change insurance agent. 

Checked the Krungsri letter again, it does show the transfer coming from my Canadian bank swift code through Bangkok bank.

Is this too tight of a window? Close to New Years, busy time of year. Maybe get a 30 day tourist extension and then apply for the O visa.

1 hour ago, Fujionrye said:

Thanks for the helpful replies. My insurance agent told me not to renew from Canada. Note to self..change insurance agent.

~

Your insurance agent has a point. When applying for the 1-year ME Non Imm O-A Visa you can - when certain conditions are met - make use of foreign Health-Insurance to meet the insurance requirement. 

However, when applying in Thailand at your local Imm Office for the 1-year extension of that Non Imm O-A Visa, ONLY policies from Thai insurers associated with the TGIA are accepted.

And likewise, it might cause a problem when wanting to re-enter Thailand at the end of the 1-year Visa validity with a renewed insurance policy that was not issued by a TGIA associated Thai insurer. 

Is this too tight of a window? Close to New Years, busy time of year. Maybe get a 30 day tourist extension and then apply for the O visa.

~

You can only apply for a 30-day extension of stay when having entered VisaExempt or on a Tourist Visa.

In your case - being on a Permission to stay from a Non Imm O-A Visa - your only extension option would be to apply for a 60-day extension for reason of visiting your Thai wife, but obviously that can only be done when you are married to a Thai national. 

So in your case - due to the rogue Jomtien office requiring 2 month seasoning of the funds for your 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement - your only option would be to do a border-run and return VisaExempt which will provide you with a 30 day Permission to stay.  Exiting Thailand 5 Dec (last day of your current Permission to stay) and applying 18 or 19 Dec for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement (at least 15 days before Permission to stay expiry date), is tight but is doable. 

And of course you could also apply for a 30-day extension of stay after having returned VisaExempt, which would give you ample time to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement. 

• Like 1

Didn't know visit my wife extension was a thing. Could I 60 day extend then apply for an O visa based on Marriage?

You can apply for 60 day extension to visit wife.

You do not need to "get rid of " your non O-A.

An extension from a non O-A based on marriage does not require insurance. 

You do not need to exit country.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1

Didn't know visit my wife extension was a thing. Could I 60 day extend then apply for an O visa based on Marriage?

~

When you are married to a Thai national you can always apply once per Pemission to stay for the 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your Thai wife.

Be it when you entered VisaExempt or on a Tourist Visa, or whether you have a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement or for reason of marriage.

And just to clarify > When you are married with a Thai national (like in your case) you can apply for that 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your wife.  It can be done only once per original or extended Permission to Stay.  It costs 1.900,- THB (like any other extension) and you would need to bring your original marriage certificate, as well as a Marriage statement certificate (Kor-Ror-2) which is an extract from the Thai national Marriaqe register showing that on date of issuance of that document you are still married to your Thai wife.  It can be gotten at any Thai amphur for approx 50-100 THB. When dong the application your wife has to be with you.

Note that such 60-day extension is not linked to an application for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage, so you can get that 60-day extension for reason of marriage to your thai wife and subsequently apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.

Edited by Red Phoenix
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You can apply for 60 day extension to visit wife.

You do not need to "get rid of " your non O-A.

An extension from a non O-A based on marriage does not require insurance. 

You do not need to exit country.

~

Dr Jack is correct. But there is a small snag.

You can apply for the 60-day extension of stay to visit your wife to bridge the 2-month seasoning requirement imposed by Jomtien Immigration, and then apply for the 1-year extension of your Non Imm O-A Visa. 

However, the first time you do this it has to be 'for reason of retirement', which requires both +800K on your personal Thai bank-account and a Non Imm O-A compliant health-insurance policy issued by a Thai TGIA-associated insurer.

For your NEXT 1-year extension you could then consider switching to apply for the 1-year extension for reason of Marriage, as in that case there is no need for a health-insurance policy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Red Phoenix said:

However, the first time you do this it has to be 'for reason of retirement',

Exactly.

I was about to edit my post realizing that it was OP,s first extension from a Non O-A.

He will need to apply based on retirement hence his plan to ditch the O-A and reenter visa exempt.

• Like 2

To summarize > In your case 3 options are open.

1 - First applying for the 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your wife, and then applying for the 1-year extension of your Non Imm O-A Visa.  Which on first application needs to be done for reason of retirement (and requires a Non Imm O-A compliant health-insurance policy issued by a Thai TGIA-associated insurer). 

2 - You can do a border-run on the last day of your current Permission to stay and after returning VisaExempt, then apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement or for reason of Marriage. As the window to do that is very short, you could of course also on return first apply for a regular 30-day extension of stay, which would give you ample time to then prepare for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa application.

> Since you already have transferred the +800K to your personal Thai bank-account, I would recommend doing the border-run and then apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.  Having done this, you have effectively gotten rid of the dreaded Thai health-insurance requirement which is connected to Non Imm O-A extensions for reason of retirement.

• Agree 1

On 11/24/2023 at 4:45 AM, Fujionrye said:

is there a two month money in the bank requirement on application day?

No, only money in the bank.

It's when you apply for extension of stay, there is a two month maturing demand.

4 minutes ago, khunPer said:

No, only money in the bank.

It's when you apply for extension of stay, there is a two month maturing demand.

The OP, is applying for non O at Jomtien.

The 800k in bank is only required on day of application, however Jomtien is rogue on this and is asking for 2 months seasoning for non O.

Mentioned few times in the thread. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1