Thai village bans road rice drying after tragic motorcycle accident

webfact

4 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

SO does genital mutilation in some countries............ doesnt make it right in fact Id  say its a rather stupid and dangerous practice that needs  changing, they arent  all riding buiffalos anymore.....even in Issan. They should be prosecuting the rice grower.  The road is not their personal drying area its for pedestrians and vehicluar traffic

You probably can offer an alternative way to dry rice? I can't understand the 'rice pile' bit, rice is spread out evenly on plastic netting and at night is rolled back to cover it in case of rain, dumping a huge pile of rice on the road is unusual and negligible, rice is delivered off road from the fields on a patch of land next to the road. The farmer in this case is responsible.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

SO does genital mutilation in some countries............ doesnt make it right in fact Id  say its a rather stupid and dangerous practice that needs  changing, they arent  all riding buiffalos anymore.....even in Issan. They should be prosecuting the rice grower.  The road is not their personal drying area its for pedestrians and vehicluar traffic

Did you consider the merits of your silly argument? what if that guy would have run into a power poll and died? would that mean that all power pools should be removed?...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 2

When we built our house on a property near the village, the wife put in a paved area I queried as akin to Cole's carpark.

I subsequentially found out its other purpose was as a drying area for rice. The clan finished the drying and bagging of this year's crop yesterday. We can move the car again now.

I just asked her how they do it in the village. Apparently, some still use parts of the road - mainly a small cull de sac. There is also a large, paved area in a common meeting place that is used by some. The wife has an unoccupied house in the village, with a paved area in front, that neighbors make use of. 

The main highway past the village is obviously not used and the crappy condition of the roads in the village preclude boy racers from doing their thing.

Incidentally the head man uses a group message board on DRIVE to inform locals of matters of interest. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Anyway, i don't understand why is the big noise about some dude who dies on a rural road? I'm sure that there are many fatalities everyday owing to all sorts of situations, what so special about this one i ask? how many other bike riders run into cars trucks or live stock wondering about?...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Where did you see the suggestion that he could have been drunk, on his phone and not paying attention

There wasn't a suggestion, but anyone who has spent any time out in the boonies will know that any of the 3 are distinct possibilities.

With a big emphasis on the possibility of being drunk at the end of the rice harvest.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

And so, if boring Falangs have their way, what's interesting and different in Thailand will slowly be eliminated and you might as well stay in your boring little suburb in Falangland.

It's a Thai who had his way.....the village headman has banned it now.

"Interesting and different" = Primitive ideas and practices that keep vast numbers of Thai people living in ignorance, semi-poverty and squalor.

Their retarded social-economic situation allows you to live the high life in a way you could not if you were back in the country that actually enabled you to do it in Thailand.......no wonder you would not want them to change. 

Truth is that the Old Order think just as you do, they exploit the situation just as you do.

They, the "Internal Colonists"........you, their ally.

Edited by Enoon
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Did you consider the merits of your silly argument? what if that guy would have run into a power poll and died? would that mean that all power pools should be removed?...

To use your words, did you consider the merits of your silly argument? 

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Enoon said:

It's a Thai who had his way.....the village headman has banned it now.

"Interesting and different" = Primitive ideas and practices that keep vast numbers of Thai people living in ignorance, semi-poverty and squalor.

Their retarded social-economic situation allows you to live the high life in a way you could not if you were back in the country that actually enabled you to do it in Thailand.......no wonder you would not want them to change. 

Truth is that the Old Order think just as you do, they exploit the situation just as you do.

They, the "Internal Colonists"........you, their ally.

My point was & is that what makes a country interesting is what makes it different. What our wunnerful modernity imposes is universal sameness, so everyone might just as well stay at home. That's why tourism is a self-defeating industry: The more successful it is, the more quickly it destroys the reasons why people want to visit.

Edited by mfd101
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Er, yes it was, it was suggested by ezzra, that's why I commented on how unjustified it was.

So you personally have never seen the drunken state of some Thais at the end of rice harvest riding motorbikes ?

That might be why you think it was an unjustified comment. 

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, The Cyclist said:
25 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Er, yes it was, it was suggested by ezzra, that's why I commented on how unjustified it was.

So you personally have never seen the drunken state of some Thais at the end of rice harvest riding motorbikes ?

No, I did not say that but ezzra and you seem to think that every Thai motorcyclist must be in a drunken state just because they're Thai and it may be the end of the rice harvesting season.   There was no suggestion that the man who died was drunk, on his phone or riding irresponsibly.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, I did not say that but ezzra and you seem to think that every Thai motorcyclist must be in a drunken state just because they're Thai and it may be the end of the rice harvesting season.

Can you explain how you come to the conclusion that I think every Thai motorcyclist must be drunk ?

I stated that I have seen drunken Thais on motorcycles in villages at the end of the rice harvest. Therefore it is not beyond the realms of possibility that the person who died, could have been drunk, could have been on a telephone, or could just have not been paying attention. Just because it is not mentioned in the news article, does not mean it could not have happened.

All 3 are a common occurance on Thai roads everywhere, not just in villages at the end of the rice harvest.

Edited by The Cyclist
typo

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Looking at the headline "Thai village bans road rice drying after tragic motorcycle accident"

does that mean it is legal to do this anywhere, except if the village bans it?

I didn't know that villages can make up their own traffic rules village by village. 

And do they have signs out of the village if they allow or don't allow this?

You need to get out more....you sound like a noob...lol

• Confused 1

Here we go again ! 

Fair out side big c the other day.

Table next to us an artic driver semi for the sceptics , downed two jugs of beer then got in his truck and drove off.

Big wheels are rolling

10:4 ! 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Following the accident I spoke of earlier, our local government authority passed out instructions banning this practice. Now whether it was at their own behest, or whether they were enforcing existing  laws I do not know, but it certainly worked. No one around obstructs the roads with rice, peanuts or anything else nowadays.

My point is they never had the permission to put anything on public streets. They are streets for vehicles, not for rice. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, cranki said:

You need to get out more....you sound like a noob...lol

I go out all the time - within Bangkok.

I don't see a reason to go up country.

The only reason could be the cute girls from Buriram and some other provinces. But it seems they come anyhow to Bangkok. 

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

My point is they never had the permission to put anything on public streets. They are streets for vehicles, not for rice. 

There you go again...."permission|".......pffft....that word doesn't exist up country....lol

10 hours ago, webfact said:

a ban on drying rice on the roads, following a fatal accident involving a young motorcyclist who collided with a pile of rice. 

What a load of BS is being posted by the "townies" and "beach bums". Although a pile of rice on the road was responsible for the demise of the young motorcyclist (38), drying rice on fine mesh nets laid on the roads is very common practice during the harvesting season. Where I used to live in rural Khon Kaen Province, driving over them in my pickup was inevitable where the road was narrow. Never any bans, it was a way of life for the locals. RIP motorcycle man.

image.png.0630dce1c52a285bcb0e59ddf8454e64.png

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

What a load of BS is being posted by the "townies" and "beach bums". Although a pile of rice on the road was responsible for the demise of the young motorcyclist (38), drying rice on fine mesh nets laid on the roads is very common practice during the harvesting season. Where I used to live in rural Khon Kaen Province, driving over them in my pickup was inevitable where the road was narrow. Never any bans, it was a way of life for the locals. RIP motorcycle man.

image.png.0630dce1c52a285bcb0e59ddf8454e64.png

They should get some inspiration from Japan.

210524-zen-garden-bd-2x1-updated.jpg

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, mfd101 said:

And so, if boring Falangs have their way, what's interesting and different in Thailand will slowly be eliminated and you might as well stay in your boring little suburb in Falangland.

Very true. Differences like drying rice in the roads, the mindset that says it's ok to drive drunk, roundabouts...motor bike helmets....to name a few.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, The Cyclist said:

There wasn't a suggestion, but anyone who has spent any time out in the boonies will know that any of the 3 are distinct possibilities.

4 hours ago, cranki said:

There you go again...."permission|".......pffft....that word doesn't exist up country....lol

Don't mention the types of unlicensed vehicles they use on the roads to cart produce and workers around.

I had to buy a box of Leo :bah: for the rice workers, which they quickly consumed before getting on their bikes and tak taks to drive home.

7 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

What a load of BS is being posted by the "townies" and "beach bums".

Neither a townie nor a beach bum here but a road is for vehicles, not for drying rice. Just because locals have done it for years, that doesn't make it right.

A farmer where I live in the UK has just been prosecuted for leaving muck on the road after he'd been muck spreading. A motorcyclist came around a corner, skidded on the muck and went under a truck - dead. There are often accidents around here during the silage season when farmers sometimes work all night to bring in the crop - very often using vehicles with no lights and poor brakes. They don't seem to think that the laws are there for a reason and that reason applies to them and everyone else. When we were building some houses just 2 miles from where the above accident took place, on the same road, we had to clean the road every time a vehicle from our site left mud on it and we had to keep a record of all that activity.  A guy from the council came around regularly to check we were doing that.

People moving into the countryside and complaining about the smell, yes, on that I'd agree that its part. Farmers are not immune from basic safety practices - they must adhere to the rules just as everyone else must. People don't move around on Buffalo carts at 5kph any more - you can't mess around with the roads.

As a motorcyclist, I'd be appalled if I came around a corner and found rice spread out across the road.

The roads are built to allow vehicles, including farm vehicles, to get around. It may be a tradition to dry rice on a public road road but that doesn't make it right - its a tradition that needs to be stopped.  I wonder how the farmers would be if people were to start driving around and parking their cars in their fields. Farmers in all countries seem to think they are a special case and laws don't apply to them - they do.

Seems that the village headman should be looking for better alternatives for his parishioners who need to dry their rice.

But, it surprises me that a local man was not expecting to come across piles of rice in the road at the end of rice harvesting season. When I first experienced this tradition, near to my wife's land in Surin, it took me no more than 2 minutes to adjust my driving accordingly.

Anyway, RIP young man - 38 is way too young to die.

21 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Yeah, it'd be more interesting and exciting to go back to the frequent shower electrocutions, driving or even walking into construction holes at night, etc, etc, etc We wouldn't want to impose what we might think of as logic onto their paradigm!

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

A disturbance but not a big issue.

It's a bit of a mystery how one can kill himself by riding into a pile of rice. Sleepy or careless.

You might notice sometime that you don't even need to be going over 10kph to fall on a motorcycle, smack your helmetless head, and die.... It's not a "mystery" at all.
Leaving rice drying on the road is more than a "disturbance" and can become a very "big issue" - as witnessed in this case and many others.
I don't think it is right to say, "...how one can kill himself by riding into a pile of rice." It is more accurate to say that the rider is killed by the negligence of the farmer.

• Like 1