Terminology

kiakaha

This is the start of my personal quest to rid the world of the term "double eagle"

birdie = 1 under

eagle = 2 under

double eagle, by literal interpretation should therefore be 4 under (2 x eagle), but it is irritatingly used to describe a score of 3 under.

Please world, especially Americans who have a knack of bastardizing the lovely English language, 3 under is an ALBATROSS. Enough said.

Just for your information, I am an American and I have always said Albatross, the many times I have had one, that is.

A Double Eagle is a $20.00 gold coin from the 1800's, in another bastardization.

Mate,

These are so rare, if you are lucky enough to make one or see one, then I think you could call it whatever the heck you want to. I'm also a Yank and in my book, it is an albatross. One thing is for sure, you'd never have to worry about a half! :o

What a silly english man you must be.

I guess to most it is a double eagle, and to those that must be different, British or foolish!

http://www.will-golf-for-food.com/Golf_Glossary.php

Albatross - A different word to describe a double eagle. There must have been a bird lover somewhere in the early days of golf, albatross, birdies, eagles, who knows.

http://www.usga.org/questions/faqs/usga_history.html

By analogy with 'birdie,' the term 'eagle' soon thereafter became common to refer to a score one better than a 'bird.' Also by analogy, the term 'albatross' for double eagle - an even bigger eagle!

Khun ? - Take some time to read the links that you posted before attempting to use them to disagree with my initial statement.

The first one issues the disclaimer, 'This website is presented "As is" There is no guarantee of its accuracy'. - Certainly not regarding punctuation it would seem. Probably not the place to cite as proof of a point.

Your second proof, which seems more serious, starts with the phrase "By analogy....." which means that they think this is the case but they don't know. ie. There is no proof!

You may well be right in your assertion, but if you want to take a shot at me at least try to have some ammo before you point the gun.

• 1 month later...

Albatross

Three-under-par (-3) which is also sometimes called a double eagle despite the fact that it's technically an eagle and a half. These are extremely rare, and most commonly occur on par-fives with a strong drive and a holed approach shot. Holes-in-one on par-four holes (generally short ones) are also albatrosses.

Sounds like everbody is correct! :o

More interestingly though;

Condor

Four-under-par (-4). Also known as a vulture, triple-eagle or a double-albatross. Scored by hitting a hole-in-one on a par-five or getting the ball in the cup in two strokes on a par 6, (there are no par-6s in the professional game).

I was watching the European Masters today aired by the Golf Channel,

Some 16 year old kid from Hawaii made a 2 on the 9th hole, a 630 yard par 5.

One of the announcers called it an "albatross" and the other one called it a "double eagle". Both announcers were British.

It appears you can call it by either name.

This is the start of my personal quest to rid the world of the term "double eagle"

birdie = 1 under

eagle = 2 under

double eagle, by literal interpretation should therefore be 4 under (2 x eagle), but it is irritatingly used to describe a score of 3 under.

Please world, especially Americans who have a knack of bastardizing the lovely English language, 3 under is an ALBATROSS. Enough said.

Well, I guess another approach to your logic is to say that an eagle is one stroke less than a birdie, so a hole that's completed two strokes less than a birdie can be called a double eagle (2x1=2).

Edited by pattyboy

What is a sceptic tank?

SCEPTIC

"One who instinctively or habitually doubts, questions, or disagrees with assertions or generally accepted conclusions."

TANK

1. "A large, often metallic, container for holding liquids or gases."

2. "A usually artificial pool, pond, reservoir or cistern, especially one used to hold water for drinking or for irrigation."

3. "An enclosed, heavily armored combat vehicle that is armed with cannon and machine guns and moves on continuous tracks."

I hope this helps.