Onward Ticket Question

6 hours ago, leosmith said:

Agreed; I bought one already for $12 usd. This return flight is in 25 days. I'm probably overthinking it, but if they ask me how long I'm going to stay, do I say 25 days per that ticket, or 58 days per my condo booking receipt? :biggrin:

Just a reminder - I already have this. Technically, I have purchased a reservation for a ticket, or as some say, I have rented a ticket, for this price. I always do this because it is much cheaper than a "normal" cheap ticket (hard to find one for less that $50 ime) or reserving a ticket then cancelling/getting a refund (hard to escape with fees less than $50 ime).

6 hours ago, DFPhuket said:

I'd say there is less chance of an issue at check in because you're on a round trip ticket. But as technology related to visa and immigration gets more sophisticated, the check in screen could notify the check in agent to ask for proof of an onward ticket within the 30 days. For peace of mind and for a small amount of money, I'd get an onward ticket at https://onwardticket.com/

Please read before you post - I already have one. Also, I'm not on a round trip ticket. I have an onward ticket 58 days out.

3 hours ago, khunPer said:

You are entering visa exempt and granted 30 days of stay. The immigration normally won't check your ticket, but the airline might do it when checking in at departure. Your need an outgoing ticket from Thailand within the 30-days period to be safe. It can be a budget airline ticket to a neighboring country, like a ticket from Hat Yai to Kuala Lumpur – short distance, different prices depending on week day – the price range might be in the area of$30 to $50.

no, this is more expensive than what I've already done

3 hours ago, Jimjim1 said:

If you are determined to fly out after 58 days why did’nt you just buy a return ticket and visit immigration for an extra 30 day extension before the 30 day visa exempt is up? Unless I am missing something in your post.

Per my OP, I have a real ongoing ticket (as opposed to a return ticket) 58 days out. Sorry if it wasn't obvious that l intend to get the extension just before the 30 day mark. 

2 hours ago, gargamon said:

If they ask, just log into expedia and buy a fully refundable if cancelled within 24 hour ticket to show them. Then when you've cleared security and are at the gate, cancel the ticket. Easy, free. What more could you ask for. Note: this doesn't work with the cheap-o airlines, only the major ones. Expedia will tell you before you input your credit card info if it's a refundable ticket. 

Maybe you have some special deal with Expedia, but when I checked into this in the past, the refund/cancellation fees were far more expensive than the $12 I spent.

2 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

If you say 58 days to the airline then what was the point of buying the fake onward ticket 😆 

I personally think you wouldn't have had an issue as you have a return flight on same airline so no risk/cost to them to fly you back. Plus a 30 day extension is a valid tourist approach as it's stated on every Thai embassy site that a visa exempt can get a 30 day extension in country

You are right - I should have said that my second question was about Thai immigration, not boarding in Korea. 
But I do not have a return flight on the same airline; not sure where you go that. I have an actual ongoing ticket out in 58 days on another airline. The rest of what you wrote is probably right; I'll stop worrying about Thai immigration.

Edited by leosmith

2 hours ago, Jimjim1 said:

Methinks you may have misread my question to the poster.

I asked him why he did not simply buy a return ticket when he bought the one way ticket if he was definitely leaving after 58 days, thereby notifying the points he was enquiring about namely the airline staff asking questions

He said he already has a real onward ticket at day 58.

1 hour ago, leosmith said:

Maybe you have some special deal with Expedia, but when I checked into this in the past, the refund/cancellation fees were far more expensive than the $12 I spent.

As i noted, not all flights on Expedia can be cancelled for free. The major non-discount airlines will. The cheap ones like air asia won't. Try booking a flight on each and see the difference. It will tell you on the last page before you confirm your purchase. 

5 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Because it's airline check-in procedure 😹

Is it ? No airline has ever asked me how long I'm going to be in Thailand that I can recall

I hand over my passport, asked about whether there are any bombs in my bags and given a ticket.

4 hours ago, kwilco said:

you need to be far more explicit than that.

Well I don't always have an onward or return ticket (though mostly I do) and I don't need a visa to visit Thailand :)

Edited by Chelseafan

On 12/2/2023 at 11:32 AM, leosmith said:

Agreed; I bought one already for $12 usd. This return flight is in 25 days. I'm probably overthinking it, but if they ask me how long I'm going to stay, do I say 25 days per that ticket, or 58 days per my condo booking receipt? :biggrin:

First of all, immigration never asks about return or onward tickets only the airlines. It is an official rule which is why airlines ask as they have to fly you back home if denied entry. It's not a policy decision of the airline but just depends on how sharp your check-in agent is. The rules for travelling are supplied by IATA and appear on the screen as you check-in. I recently travelled to Perth WA and on the return flight to Bangkok my wife and son were denied boarding as they didn't have a return/onward flight (I had a re-entry permit). They had travelled on their UK passports but both are Thai citizens so on producing their Thai passports the problem went away, but my point is they WERE asked so all the ppl who say I haven't been asked in 20 years are not helping anybody. BTW you are overthinking it so don't offer up your $12 ticket unless the check-in agent asks and at immigration just hand in your passport and boarding card for the flight you arrived on then he/she will stamp you in for 30 days. Enjoy.

• Agree 1

Not worth the risk, what are you going to do if you are denied boarding which the airline are perfectly within their rights to do?  Depending on your arrival time, it could be too late to buy an onward ticket and receive confirmation/could be a Wifi problem, anything could go wrong. Sh*t happens!

I saw one guy doing a visa run and they forced him to book a hotel on his phone.  He stood at the side of the queue and did it.

So you need a return ticket and hotel booking.  No exceptions if you want to pass smoothly.

Edited by Chris Daley
  • Haha 1

On 12/2/2023 at 5:15 AM, pest said:

but i have been in and out on tourist visa's since and never been asked to show onward ticket

Are you saying you travelled one way all of these times?

Firstly why would they ask on a tourist visa? Secondly you don't know they weren't checking as they would only say something if they thought there was a problem. 

Edited by kwilco

8 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

First of all, immigration never asks about return or onward tickets only the airlines. 

I just arrived to Thailand yesterday, and I was asked by immigration to show my onward ticket.  This was the first time I have ever been asked to show it by immigration.

I was travelling on a oneway ticket, so I was quite happy I had purchased a real fully refundable return ticket which I promptly refunded after I collected my luggage.

22 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

I just arrived to Thailand yesterday, and I was asked by immigration to show my onward ticket.  This was the first time I have ever been asked to show it by immigration.

I was travelling on a oneway ticket, so I was quite happy I had purchased a real fully refundable return ticket which I promptly refunded after I collected my luggage.

to be clear - were you on a visa exempt entry?

where was your POOT to?

Will you buy your ticket home in Thailand or are you continuing on?

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

to be clear - were you on a visa exempt entry?

where was your POOT to?

Will you buy your ticket home in Thailand or are you continuing on?

I arrived visa exempt.  I flew from San Francisco to Bangkok.  This was my third trip to Thailand this year visa exempt, and I extended last time, which is my guess why they asked me.

I will be continuing on to another destination, but didn't decide when or where yet.

1 hour ago, Phillip9 said:

I arrived visa exempt.  I flew from San Francisco to Bangkok.  This was my third trip to Thailand this year visa exempt, and I extended last time, which is my guess why they asked me.

I will be continuing on to another destination, but didn't decide when or where yet.

so you arrived with an onward proof of travel?....but not a return ticket? Did you have the POOT when you boarded the plane in San Francisco?

2 hours ago, kwilco said:

so you arrived with an onward proof of travel?....but not a return ticket? Did you have the POOT when you boarded the plane in San Francisco?

I purchased a one way fully refundable ticket from Bangkok back to San Francisco before I checked in for my flight.  Then I refunded that ticket when I arrived.  That's my normal strategy when traveling on a one way ticket, and I don't know how long I will stay in a country because usually the airline will ask for an onward or return ticket at checkin.

On 12/2/2023 at 7:12 AM, impulse said:

The only definitive answer is that the airline can deny you boarding without an ongoing ticket.  Whether they will or not depends on which airline, which country you're flying from, and the mood of the agent at the gate. 

In 7 or 8 flights to Thailand this year (US citizen, visa exempt, from Singapore and China) I've been asked to show an onward ticket just about every time.  I've also been asked to flash cash 3 or 4 times, as the gate agents simply ran down the checklist on their screen prompts.  May happen the same way for the OP, or he may breeze through.  But why risk it as cheap as rental (and short range) tickets are? 

At the very least, have the rental ticket website bookmarked so you can step out of the queue and buy one on the spot with no muss, fuss or payment issues.  Frazzled, time crunched, in the airport queue isn't the time to figure out which credit cards they take...

With onward tickets if you are in que at check in and need to step out of line you may not receive your confirmation ticket immediately if its outside their office hours. I had that happen 2 months ago and didnt get the confirmation for about 8 hours. Luckily for me it was the day before the flight not at check in. 

Also just to clarify a bit, the airlines are the ones checking as its a regulation under the IATA guidelines issued by Thailand. Very Seldom will imm ask for either a ticket or money but can. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/2/2023 at 12:51 AM, Chelseafan said:

I think you'll be fine unless you have a history of overstay. if that's the case then they may ask you more questions but with the onward ticket within the scope of 30+30 days it would be a churlish IO to refuse you entry.

Nothing to do with immigration really, it will be the air carrier that denies boarding.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

Nothing to do with immigration really, it will be the air carrier that denies boarding.

If you are going to quote me at least read the rest of the thead. I've already said that I misread his post.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/2/2023 at 10:18 PM, Chelseafan said:

Is it ? No airline has ever asked me how long I'm going to be in Thailand that I can recall

I hand over my passport, asked about whether there are any bombs in my bags and given a ticket.

Bro, there's a new thread about this every other week. It's a subject that's been done to death.

The airline is required to check that you meet the requirements to enter the destination country. If they don't, and you get denied entry then they are responsible for repatriating you and they can cop a fine of up to $10,000.

In practice it depends on the airport and the individual check-in staff. You might get asked, you might not. YMMV as the Americans say.

Are we clear now?

On 12/3/2023 at 4:27 PM, Jaggg88 said:

First of all, immigration never asks about return or onward tickets only the airlines.

Many reports on here of people being asked for onward ticket/proof funds. Replace "never" with "unlikely" and you might be closer to the mark.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

I purchased a one way fully refundable ticket from Bangkok back to San Francisco before I checked in for my flight.

Therefore you had POOT - your earlier post didn't make that clear.

"I arrived visa exempt.  I flew from San Francisco to Bangkok.  This was my third trip to Thailand this year visa exempt, and I extended last time, which is my guess why they asked me.

I will be continuing on to another destination, but didn't decide when or where yet."

Edited by kwilco

2 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Bro, there's a new thread about this every other week. It's a subject that's been done to death.

The airline is required to check that you meet the requirements to enter the destination country. If they don't, and you get denied entry then they are responsible for repatriating you and they can cop a fine of up to $10,000.

In practice it depends on the airport and the individual check-in staff. You might get asked, you might not. YMMV as the Americans say.

Are we clear now?

It is NOT the airlines responsbility to check how long you will be in Thailand which is ALL I have said.

I have NOT mentioned anything about airlines respinsbility to check you meet the requirements which as a frequent flyer I am very well aware of

Are we clear now...Bro?

4 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Many reports on here of people being asked for onward ticket/proof funds. Replace "never" with "unlikely" and you might be closer to the mark.

I would agree with the 'unlikely' assessment ... and further, I wonder, if asked and one did not have such, what would immigration do?  Tell one to go to the back of the immigration line and book a throw away ticket?  In a large airport such as Bangkok, one can stay in the international area (before passing thru immigration) for a very long time with no issue (while one leisurely proceeds to get a throw away ticket).  The issue, as many pointed out, is the danger of being denied boarding before flying to Thailand.

Recently, when I invalidated a previous Type-OA visa (by leaving Thailand without a re-entry permit), I re-entered Thailand from Frankfurt, visa exempt.  In Frankfurt, when checking-in "on-line" with Thai Airways I obtained a popup advising me that proof of departure from Thailand could be asked for at the airport.  

When I arrived at Frankfurt airport, I was not asked to show a departure ticket (at Thai airlines counter) when I checked in my luggage.  However when at the gate, in the international area (I had already passed Frankfurt immigration) I was called to the counter and I was asked for my passport.  I anticipated I would be asked to show a departure ticket (which I actually had, a cheap Krabi-to-KL on a discount airline, where I previously bought the ticket on sale).  The people at the counter stared at my Type-OA visa (which in fact was invalid due to me departing without a re-entry permit), and waived me through, NOT asking to see my departure ticket from Thailand.

My guess is they mistakenly thought my Type_OA visa was still valid.

But when I arrived in Bangkok, visa exempt, I went through the Thai line with my Thai wife (I immediately followed her) , when unexpected to me, the immigration officer asked for my ticket. I asked myself, what ticket?  I had no clue.  I pulled out my boarding pass, and give it to the IO who appeared to me not satisfied (but maybe they were satisfied ), and I then proceeded to fumble throu my paperwork to find my 'throw away' ticket (which I never did show to the IO), when my wife said some things to the IO in Thai, and at that point the IO waved me through into Thailand.  Later she said that she advised the IO we were married and I intended to apply for a Type-O visa.

Regardless, being stopped in Bangkok at immigration and asked for a ticket leaving Thailand (which I believe must be incredibly rare) surely is very very easy to deal with. IF there is no departure flight to catch (ie unless a tight domestic connection somewhere) ... one has lots time to obtain a throw away ticket if such a very very VERY rare immigration request might happen.  I would weigh odds most people are never asked by immigration for such.

However prior to boarding, to fly to Thailand, is a different story (if on a one-way ticket).  I know of a couple cases where friends were asked for such (and where they were prepared).

Edited by oldcpu
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

I wonder, if asked and one did not have such, what would immigration do?  Tell one to go to the back of the immigration line and book a throw away ticket?

I don't know as it's never happened to me and I can't dredge up any memories of old posts on the subject.

Maybe they'll let you book a ticket out on your phone and accept it without a physical printout.

Or maybe they don't like the look of you and it's off to the back room for the third degree. No onward ticket, no proof of funds and it's a day or so in lockup until you get sent back where you came from, or wherever you can negotiate a ticket to.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I don't know as it's never happened to me and I can't dredge up any memories of old posts on the subject.

So why post something you know very little about.

I fly out/in Thailand every month .

Some routes, some low cost airlines 100% require onward fight if flying to Thailand visa exempt.

Only accurate post you have stated is .....

" I don't know as it's never happened to me" 

Travel more and come up to speed.

Edited by DrJack54