Parnpree to bring Thailand back on radar screen amid superpower rivalry

webfact

Keeping Thailand's foreign policy in ' balance ' is the right thing to do for Thailand . Better not to take sides , but stay ' neutral ' , if possible .

Thailand has a lot of internal problems that should be solved before it's foreign policy gets out of balance and drags the country into a conflicting situation with another country .

You will not hear a word from the Thai government condemning the war in Israel or Ukraine .

Thailand still is a ' holiday destination ' and , as such , desires the best of all what foreign countries can contribute to Thailand's economy , their money , of course .

Not matter if it's yuan , rubles , dollars , euros etc ... money is what counts .

2 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

in ww2 they actually were going to declare war on the us and its allies, but the diplomat did not deliver that declaration. as history goes it will always seem like thailand was neutral when in fact it wasn't. i have a feeling of deja vu here. honestly i don't think they are neutral. one more thing. they mention '2 superpowers'. i guess they don't consider russia as being powerful, but heck... are they ever catering to them. seems to me thailand is playing on 3 fronts. dont military strategists always say never manage 2 wars at the same time?

Many people do not realize Thailand was declared an enemy of the allies, and the US bombed Bangkok several times. Thailand was occupied by Japan for three long years, until the Thais finally kicked them out, when they were getting their butts kicked in Burma and throughout the Pacific.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

in ww2 they actually were going to declare war on the us and its allies, but the diplomat did not deliver that declaration. as history goes it will always seem like thailand was neutral when in fact it wasn't. i have a feeling of deja vu here. honestly i don't think they are neutral. one more thing. they mention '2 superpowers'. i guess they don't consider russia as being powerful, but heck... are they ever catering to them. seems to me thailand is playing on 3 fronts. dont military strategists always say never manage 2 wars at the same time?

Not my reading of Thailand in WW II. Thailand did declare war, for example, on Britain. That is why the Brits wanted to treat Thailand as an enemy combatant after the war. The failure to deliver the declaration dealt with the USA. That is why the USA did not want Thailand treated as an enemy combatant after the war. other interests played into this. The "Free Thai" forces worked with the Allies during the war. Thailand played off western powers during the colonial era to maintain its independence. France in Indochina and England in Burma. And now? China versus the USA, trying to maintain balance will not be easy as we see the struggle coming out in authoritarian model versus a more democratic model.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Many people do not realize Thailand was declared an enemy of the allies, and the US bombed Bangkok several times. Thailand was occupied by Japan for three long years, until the Thais finally kicked them out, when they were getting their butts kicked in Burma and throughout the Pacific.

8 minutes ago, Wrwest said:

Not my reading of Thailand in WW II. Thailand did declare war, for example, on Britain. That is why the Brits wanted to treat Thailand as an enemy combatant after the war. The failure to deliver the declaration dealt with the USA. That is why the USA did not want Thailand treated as an enemy combatant after the war. other interests played into this. The "Free Thai" forces worked with the Allies during the war. Thailand played off western powers during the colonial era to maintain its independence. France in Indochina and England in Burma. And now? China versus the USA, trying to maintain balance will not be easy as we see the struggle coming out in authoritarian model versus a more democratic model.

an interesting lesson in history this morning. you guys just added a few facts to the limited knowledge of thai history i have despite having been here quite a stretch

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Wrwest said:

Thailand was an enemy of the allies during World War II and they were treated fairly afterwards just like Germany was. The extremist within the Senate were the ones who forced the hand of the moderates and by late 44 when Japan was getting its butt kicked all over the Pacific and in Burma, the moderates in the Senate kicked Japan out of Thailand completely. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

Thailand was occupied by Japan and occasionally was bombed. It was not an enthusiatic supporter of Japan.

On 12/3/2023 at 7:10 PM, newbee2022 said:

Only 2 super powers??

There is one permanent power missing: Russia.

Russia is a superpower if the title is determined by nuclear weapons.  If "superpower" is determined by economic power or other measures, Russia isn't a contender.

18 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Russia is a superpower if the title is determined by nuclear weapons.  If "superpower" is determined by economic power or other measures, Russia isn't a contender.

Hahaha, you definitely believe in Santa🧑‍🎄🧑‍🎄🧑‍🎄

• 2 weeks later...