Transport Ministry Commits to Full EV Transition

snoop1130

6dbbaa23f21c6f387a98ac78e57fc5b3_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Transport Minister Suriya Juangroongruangkit announced Thailand’s move towards a 100% electric vehicle (EV) public transport fleet, beginning with the Airports of Thailand (AOT) limousine service. The statement was made during his visit to the 40th Motor Expo at Impact Challenger Hall.

The expo, displaying a variety of EVs, underscored the increasing interest and sales in electric vehicles, demonstrating the government’s successful efforts to promote EV use. Suriya anticipates a 30% growth in EV usage across the nation by 2030, in line with the government’s policy to tackle air pollution and affirm clean air as a fundamental human right.

Under Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin’s instructions, the ministry aims to switch expiring vehicle rental contracts to electric alternatives. The move is part of a larger agenda that includes 72 new initiatives from 2023 to 2027 designed to enhance different transportation methods.

These initiatives include replacing conventional vehicles with EVs, constructing three new motorways that are expected to open by 2031, and improving local transportation in special economic zones. Plans also involve refurbishing Krabi, Phuket, and Chiang Mai airports, the introduction of 22 new national railway services, and the transformation of various piers on the Chao Phraya River in Bangkok into smart piers, along with the development of cruise terminals to support marine tourism.

By Krajangwit Johjit

Full story: NNT 2023-12-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, ricklev said:

I expect to see those 50 year old (literally) red non-AC buses chugging along twenty years from now.  

I traveled from my neck of the woods to Rai Khing the other day on a local bus.. 22 kilometres for 25 baht..

The bus I think was registered the same year as I was born, and looks like it's done the same mileage.

A real old diesel burner with rickety old bench seats, and roof fans that long since stopped working.

The driver was in his autumnal years but at least he was steady, an average 50 mph and double de-clutching every gear as he manage the 3ft long gear stick... impressive.

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

the government’s policy to tackle air pollution and affirm clean air as a fundamental human right.

So we can look forward to no burning pollution this year then...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, ricklev said:

I expect to see those 50 year old (literally) red non-AC buses chugging along twenty years from now.  

The first time I caught one of those buses the floor was wooden planks, took me back to me 'ol primary schools days it did.

I've been reading reports and viewing some news that EV's are now just sitting on lots in the US and the demand for them is way down compared to gas burning vehicles due to a number of factors including higher costs, low ranges in winter, the hassle of finding charging points etc.

My local authority in the UK run hybrid diesel/electric buses but only within about a 5 mile radius of the city centre. Services to outlying areas and connected towns are all diesel since these are the most practicable and cost effective.

For Bangkok, jumping direct from ICE to EV without essential charging infrastructure is fraught with potential problems. I wish the Minister luck. I can't see AOT EV limos proving services at distances beyond the city limits and the charges will undoubtedly increase.

Trolley buses!

I had some lunatic friends who took one from Reading to South Wales. Rigged up a generator on the ground floor and off they went. There was some minor interest shown by the constabulary on the Severn Bridge, but they were allowed on their way.

Bish ( as was his name) was either a genius or mad as a hatter, I was never sure which! His party piece was keeping the scores for pub darts matches on a blackboard, in Roman numerals!