Trump sidesteps question when asked if he plans to abuse power if re-elected

CharlieH

image.png

Former President Donald Trump has repeatedly told his supporters he will serve as their “retribution” if he is elected again in 2024.

But pressed by Fox host Sean Hannity in a Fox News town hall Tuesday about whether he would abuse his power or seek retribution against his political enemies as president, Trump first sidestepped the question –and then seemed to minimize its seriousness, responding on a second round that he would only be a “dictator” on Day One of his presidency to address the border and domestic oil production.

“I’m going to be, you know he keeps, we love this guy, he says, ‘You’re not going to be a dictator, are you?’ I said, ‘No, no, other than day one. We’re closing the border and we’re drilling, drilling, drilling.’ After that I’m not a dictator,” Trump said.

The former president’s comments came days after former Wyoming Rep. Liz Cheney, a Republican who lost her seat to a Trump-backed primary challenger last year after she participated in the House commission that probed the January 6, 2021, insurrection, said the nation would be “sleepwalking into a dictatorship” if Trump wins next year.

“Do you in any way have any plans whatsoever if reelected president to abuse power, to break the law, to use the government to go after people?” Hannity initially asked.

Trump did not directly answer that question and instead pointed to his own four indictments and dismissed the 91 criminal charges he faces as “made up charges.”

Later, Hannity again pressed Trump, asking, “Under no circumstances, you are promising America tonight you would never abuse power as retribution against anybody?”

“Except for day one. I want to close the border and I want to drill, drill, drill,” Trump replied.

FULL STORY

image.jpeg.8cc4dd66bc37851fb61c912d6651869d.jpeg

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

image.png

Former President Donald Trump has repeatedly told his supporters he will serve as their “retribution” if he is elected again in 2024.

But pressed by Fox host Sean Hannity in a Fox News town hall Tuesday about whether he would abuse his power or seek retribution against his political enemies as president, Trump first sidestepped the question –and then seemed to minimize its seriousness, responding on a second round that he would only be a “dictator” on Day One of his presidency to address the border and domestic oil production.

“I’m going to be, you know he keeps, we love this guy, he says, ‘You’re not going to be a dictator, are you?’ I said, ‘No, no, other than day one. We’re closing the border and we’re drilling, drilling, drilling.’ After that I’m not a dictator,” Trump said.

The former president’s comments came days after former Wyoming Rep. Liz Cheney, a Republican who lost her seat to a Trump-backed primary challenger last year after she participated in the House commission that probed the January 6, 2021, insurrection, said the nation would be “sleepwalking into a dictatorship” if Trump wins next year.

“Do you in any way have any plans whatsoever if reelected president to abuse power, to break the law, to use the government to go after people?” Hannity initially asked.

Trump did not directly answer that question and instead pointed to his own four indictments and dismissed the 91 criminal charges he faces as “made up charges.”

Later, Hannity again pressed Trump, asking, “Under no circumstances, you are promising America tonight you would never abuse power as retribution against anybody?”

“Except for day one. I want to close the border and I want to drill, drill, drill,” Trump replied.

FULL STORY

image.jpeg.8cc4dd66bc37851fb61c912d6651869d.jpeg

Add context: Trump continued: " look at him freak out!" Referring to Hannity. Obviously the irony and hence the joke, was missed by those who will not see, those who will not listen and those who live in a partisan bubble.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, poyai111 said:

Add context: Trump continued: " look at him freak out!" Referring to Hannity. Obviously the irony and hence the joke, was missed by those who will not see, those who will not listen and those who live in a partisan bubble.

You can ask Kash Patel if it was a joke.

Screenshot_20231206_072747_Threads.jpg

• Sad 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, poyai111 said:

Let's see him defend the indefensible - his policies - all failures reflecting a failing America. Attacking Trump's obnoxious personality will never work. Politics is about only 3 things that matter - policy, policy, policy

Peace and Prosperity wins elections every time.

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Doesn't matter if he said no, the haters will say it's a lie, and his supporters don't care.

He took the best option and made a joke out of it. Stupid question anyway, as he'd be mad to say yes, even if he meant it.

The real question is if you think Trump as dictator would be better than the current presidential system.

Or if you would oppose a dictator.

1 hour ago, rudi49jr said:

He didn’t sidestep this question: when asked if he would become a dictator, Trump answered he will be a dictator on the first day. Dictators usually abuse their power, that’s why they are called dictators. So his supporters may want to be careful what they wish for. Trump is planning mass deportations, and locking millions of people up in ‘re-education’ camps, and/or in mental asylums. Who is to say who is going to be deported, or locked up? 

https://www.meidastouch.com/news/trump-said-he-will-be-a-dictator-on-day-1-dodges-abuse-of-power-question

Seems you make up your own ideals on this topic. Trump showed last time he was in power to rid the government of illegals and choose more carefully what foreigners get visas to enter the country. Most likely he still plans this. 

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

You can ask Kash Patel if it was a joke.

The white christian nationalists are going to love this guy.

BTW, you were doing an assessment of Fox channel recently, something I meant to point out:  Fox does not show the videos of the 1/6 attack on the Capitol.  Even in their scant coverage of the 1/6 hearings, when the committee showed the clips of the violence Fox blurred it out.  None so blind as those who are not allowed to see . . .

And even in the rest of the media, evidence of some of the deeds done by the MAGA horde were never aired, like the feces smeared inside the building.  The committee didn't mention it either.

34 minutes ago, Road Warrior said:

maybe !!!!  there must a better candite in all of USA ???? 

We had one once, Pat Paulsen; we mourn our loss.

His presidential campaign slogan was "If nominated I will not run, if elected I will not serve."

On 12/7/2023 at 9:43 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Doesn't matter if he said no, the haters will say it's a lie, and his supporters don't care.

He took the best option and made a joke out of it. Stupid question anyway, as he'd be mad to say yes, even if he meant it.

Wait!

He's NOT mad?

If not, he sure has the lunatic act nailed.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/7/2023 at 11:04 PM, Danderman123 said:

The real question is if you think Trump as dictator would be better than the current presidential system.

Or if you would oppose a dictator.

I think the US presidential system was designed for a different age and is no longer fit for purpose. Having one man with so much power is IMO an abomination.

I'd like to see the whole <deleted> congress replaced by an AI, programmed to reject all outside influence and corruption.

• Haha 1

On 12/7/2023 at 11:55 PM, thesetat2013 said:

Seems you make up your own ideals on this topic. Trump showed last time he was in power to rid the government of illegals and choose more carefully what foreigners get visas to enter the country. Most likely he still plans this. 

More importantly he didn't start any wars. All good.