Address Reporting Surprise!

Hello, wonderful forum!

I just got a surprise from Chiang Mai immigration - they rejected my online address reporting, and I'm trying to understand why, and what exactly I need to do.

I live in Phrao, a couple of hours north of CM, and registered my permanent Phrao address the last time I did my 365 day extension for my retirement visa - in the CM immigration office in June - and I have done one successful online address report since then.

The message I got from CM immigration today said that my last registered residence was a hotel in Chiang Mai, where I stayed for only one night about a month ago, and that I now must update my TM30.

Do I seriously need to visit the immigration office every time I stay in a hotel, even for one night?

The funny thing is that my wife, who has a yearly volunteer visa and is registered at this same Phrao address, was with me at the hotel, and did an online address reporting a week after that stay, and hers was approved. I assume the hotel registered both of us with immigration, since they took both of our passports.

It's a couple of hours drive each way from my house to immigration, and of course it really ends up taking the whole day, so I would hate to have to drive down just for this... But of course I'm all about the compliance, so if they tell me to come, come I shall. 

If anybody has any information, I would be so grateful!

Jim

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

First up CM is the most ROGUE office regarding TM30.

You could consider an agent given long drive.

There are threads for online TM30.

Hopefully someone using that option will be along to advise. 

Think @Red Phoenix has some advice regarding this. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

The OP raises an interesting point.  Many times I've seen advice on here that states that you don't have to register TM30 if you go away for a short time but return to your usual address - that you had registered at previously.

However, some hotels do as they should do and register all foreign guests.  Does that not then change your address and require you to re-register when you return to your home?

16 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

each immigration is a kingdom unto itself

There are approx 75 immigration offices in Thailand.

I suggest that for example in this topic there are very few offices playing games.

Perhaps to screw folk or just greed.

I would suggest Cw as they are the gold standard of the actual correct requirements.

Even they randomly can change requirements.

My last 2 annual extensions at CW required TM47 and 8 prior to that did not.

Rubbish

Edited by DrJack54

2 hours ago, whophant said:

I assume the hotel registered both of us with immigration, since they took both of our passports.

My guess is that no, they just filed for you, and not your wife. Maybe a combination of laziness and partial compliance.

Get registered on the new TM30 site ASAP, it's quite easy now, and use it in any situation (domestic hotel, international re-arrival) where it might be required.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

I mean, say Jomtien immi, do they know if going 'n coming and getting 30 day exemptions repeatedly?

Then, say after 5-6 times, get one at Jomtien.

PS. Asking for a friend...

Immigration will not refuse 30 day extension when apply at immigration office in Thailand.

Your previous two post are nonsense.

Stop asking for a "friend" 

Previously you posted...

"Just wondering, Do immis know if farang's been outside of Thailand?" 

Of course they do.

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Wow, all, I really do appreciate replies, but it seems we may have lost the plot a bit?

I would really love to hear from anybody who has actually been through this very thing, and has some advice based on first hand experience:

- should I go into the immigration office and just take care of things?

- should / can I do my TM30 online, and then re-submit my TM47?

- if I can do both online, but my TM47 is due on 10 December, should I even risk online processing? I know I have a 7 day grace period, but I think they want to see TM47s submitted well in advance...

- does anybody have any idea why a 1 night stay, in a hotel in the same province, has triggered this need to re-establish / re-register my permanent address?

I am sorry, and again I thank you for the many replies, but kind of need to figure this out - again, my TM47 is due on the 10th, so that still means this coming week (and I think they're closed on Monday). So I would love to focus a bit, and stay away from imm-anger, judgment towards the poor, overworked officers, off-topic arguments, opinions and (sorry again) some obvious misinformation.

Thanks so much!

• Confused 1

57 minutes ago, whophant said:

should I go into the immigration office and just take care of things?

Did you read my post.

CM are off the charts regarding this issue 

You should not need to file new TM30.

However CM against the rules require this..

Rogue office .

TM30 has nothing to do with TM47.

Go to your rubbish office. 

• Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

19 hours ago, whophant said:

Do I seriously need to visit the immigration office every time I stay in a hotel, even for one night?

Yes.

Different immigration offices are working to different rules. It is not only CM stating that rule.

It is all well and good for the 'I am correct' posters to say that you do not need to report your TM 30 again.

They do not give out visa and extensions.

If the person giving the service says 'do a TM 30', I advise you to do a TM 30!

Register on line and it will take less than 5 minutes for you both to re-register your TM 30.

I do it every time I return home. Simple. No issues with immigration. Here on Samui - it is a must.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Liquorice - Thank you very much for posting new rules in both languages!

I'll print a copy of both and show them at Jomtien next time and ask what they think about it.

Yes, I still will go and file a report after every F'ng trip.... just to be sure in unsure country.

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Your previous two post are nonsense.

Sorry Dr (what kind Dr are you?)

I try to be as clear as you;

"CM are off the charts regarding this issue 

You should not need to file new TM30.

However CM against the rules require this.."

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

It seems like it would be worth it get setup so you can do the online TM30. Once it's setup, filing a new TM30 again takes just a couple of minutes. 

I travel domestically and stay in a hotel or go out of the country every 3 or 4 weeks. The only time I submit an online TM30 is after my last trip when I will be going to immigration for my annual extension (in Phuket). I'm uncertain if it's needed, but it just takes a minute and I want the process to go as smoothly as possible. Because I travel so often I never need to do a 90 day report. 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, whophant said:

Hello, wonderful forum!

I just got a surprise from Chiang Mai immigration - they rejected my online address reporting, and I'm trying to understand why, and what exactly I need to do.

I live in Phrao, a couple of hours north of CM, and registered my permanent Phrao address the last time I did my 365 day extension for my retirement visa - in the CM immigration office in June - and I have done one successful online address report since then.

The message I got from CM immigration today said that my last registered residence was a hotel in Chiang Mai, where I stayed for only one night about a month ago, and that I now must update my TM30.

The funny thing is that my wife, who has a yearly volunteer visa and is registered at this same Phrao address, was with me at the hotel, and did an online address reporting a week after that stay, and hers was approved. I assume the hotel registered both of us with immigration, since they took both of our passports.

It's a couple of hours drive each way from my house to immigration, and of course it really ends up taking the whole day, so I would hate to have to drive down just for this... But of course I'm all about the compliance, so if they tell me to come, come I shall. 

If anybody has any information, I would be so grateful!

Jim

While traveling with my girfriend, I always gave her the money and she checked in under her Thai ID. They never asked for my passport and I didn't volunteer. Hence, no TM 30 is necessary.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Felton Jarvis said:

While traveling with my girfriend, I always gave her the money and she checked in under her Thai ID. They never asked for my passport and I didn't volunteer. Hence, no TM 30 is necessary.

What about when you exit and reenter Thailand 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, whophant said:

.....Do I seriously need to visit the immigration office every time I stay in a hotel, even for one night? 

Same thing has happened to me but:

(1)  It's hit or miss whether the online checkers notice you've stayed at a hotel that did their usual online TM30 for you.  Sometimes it causes the online checkers to reject your filing, and sometimes it doesn't.

(2) What you need to do (if you want to start doing online 90-day reporting again) is to go to the office behind the Immigration office and tell them what happened (they only needed to see my passport).  They'll update their computers and put a new TM30 slip in your passport and then you can do online reporting again.  Unfortunately, it's been a zoo back there (and in the main office) so it may take you a while to spend 3 minutes to get that done.

(3)  But you also can do the 90-day report in person (main office or Central Festival) without doing that "update."