Illegal Bangkok Bar Raided, 100-Plus Drug Users Found

webfact

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

He is such a blazing genius that they had to give him two positions, his creativity, his insights, his vision, his leadership and noble example, his ability to create a bright future for his nation knows no bounds. This glowing mind will be able to fix every problem that Thailand faces. 

And besides, look what this guy did as Health Minister under the previous administration, he was such a shining light, he handled covid swiftly and effectively, he chose the best vaccine available, and made it easy to obtain for everybody. He is a saint. 

I'm assuming you used the sarcasm font here..  but regarding the pandemic, compared to Johnson and Hancock in the UK he is indeed a saint. 

38 minutes ago, Parker2100 said:

How is an Interior Minister raiding nightclubs?

Mistrust of the RTP, which is assumed to be providing protection for these sorts of establishments (entertainment, gambling).

So the MoI is using their own - and doesn't every ministry have it's own police/para-military force - internal law-enforcement agency within DOPA.

DOPA has been making many raids over the past ~ 6 - 8 weeks.

The availability of all these drugs (ecstasy, ketamine, meth, crystal, taxi, happy water) at reasonable prices, is a bit shocking. All come from Myanmar. I'm surprised someone hasn't died from Happy Water as it is a mix of Ketamine, Ecstasy and sleeping pills. Some samples have contained MDMA (ecstasy), methamphetamine, diazepam, caffeine, tramadol (Taxi), and ketamine.

5 hours ago, madmitch said:

I wonder how many other countries have their Interior Minister accompanying police on a raid such as this?

You know I was going to make that same comment as you have already posted.

Isn't it ridiculous? It just shows how little they really do in the form of work.

Anutin asserted this raid operation was to respond to the Thai government’s economic stimulus policy that allows entertainment venues to provide services to 4:00 AM as of December 15th and to punish venues not currently following the law.

How does raiding this pub or allowing bars to operate till 4.00 am stimulate the economy.  Pub licensing hours in the UK were first introduced in WW1 to make workers more productive by being less drunken and hung over. The Thai government seems to have got this back to front like so many other things.

Anutin is happy as interior minister as he has his own private militia, the DOPA SWAT team.  SOPA is a catch all part of the interior ministry which manages district offices, which in turn manage licenses for entertainment businesses in their districts. It also handles gun licences PR and citizenship applications and many other unrelated stuff. Definitely needs its own SWAT team.

It looks like there was a police SWAT team there too and a couple of senior cops, probably from CIB - anyone other than the Lardprao cop shop, or the place would have been shuttered when they arrived with no adolescent pee pee samples available for the minister's delectation.

I can't imagine that Anutin cares about this stuff very much but it is just a way for him to get in the news and show off his power to the police who are losing a lot of income when these pubs are closed down.  He remembers the evil Purachai's social order campaign under the first Thaksin regime which also involved the minister taking pee samples from adolescent girls and made him so popular that Thaksin started to see him as a threat and extinguished his political career.  Easy to do because Thaksin created him out of a nobody with no political faction and let him go back to being a nobody.

What a party spoiler, people out and about having fun, minding their own business, not drunk out there driving vehicles and killing others while under the influence of alcohol with extended hours compliments of you guessed who, yes the same guy who legalized Gunja. I suspect those other "illegal" substances detract profits from his Gunja enterprises, (my opinion), that and the force has other interests as opposed to nabbing drunk drivers, (again, my opinion), perhaps they're checking in on their Karaoke owned establishments, oops, did I just say that 

image.png.f208b826bea9619b23f7aa2f0f7bbae0.png

50% were on drugs, thats what happens when you try to curb alcohol use with high taxation and archaic advertising rules and selling times, people will look for cheaper alternatives to have a good time, not a fan of Thaksin especially in his blatant avoidance of serving his criminal sentence but he certainly got to grips with Thailands drug problem, now you can buy several yabba pills for the cost of a beer

3 hours ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Correct. obviously they knew and turned a blind eye for a few brown envelopes, so will the local cops get reprimanded for 'breaking the law'?:biggrin:

Depends on how far Anutin wants to go with this.

It's almost funny that those huge illegal business can exist, sometimes for years.

It seems our authorities somehow don't see them.

Maybe someone should offer eye examinations for them. Or is it requirement to be blind, at least from time to time, to join those officials? 

Can someone clarify or know which drugs were used that are illegal to consume? Is cannabis use ilegal or we're taking about amphetamine or related drugs? 

I admit I use cannabis at home occasionally to treat some of my issues. 

6 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

Very concerning drug adoption rate - more than 50% of patrons. Country has a huge problem by the look of it.

Pretty skewed statistical sample, don't you think?

What do you think the percentage would be testing patrons at an event at the temple?

[ actually, now that I think about it, maybe it would be 70%! 555 ]

How can one tell the difference between weed and other drugs as I don’t consume any myself I would of thought the pee test would not be able to tell the difference so all these drug users could admit to taken weed which is no longer a criminal offence !  Am I correct in my assumption 

Classic planting of evedence. The moment I read stuff on the floor and in the bathrooms says it all. The police have been busted on that more times than I can count. They tried that in a top club on Sukhumvit 11, then the club's lawyer ate them alive with security camera footage.

37 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

How can one tell the difference between weed and other drugs as I don’t consume any myself I would of thought the pee test would not be able to tell the difference so all these drug users could admit to taken weed which is no longer a criminal offence !  Am I correct in my assumption 

I would have thought that the test is a bit more sophisticated than "On drugs" or "Not on drugs"!

Edited by sambum

3 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Anutin asserted this raid operation was to respond to the Thai government’s economic stimulus policy that allows entertainment venues to provide services to 4:00 AM as of December 15th and to punish venues not currently following the law.

How does raiding this pub or allowing bars to operate till 4.00 am stimulate the economy.  Pub licensing hours in the UK were first introduced in WW1 to make workers more productive by being less drunken and hung over. The Thai government seems to have got this back to front like so many other things.

It's not about the workers performance, it's about the tourist dollars!

Now how about that ridiculous "cannot buy alcohol between the hours of 2 pm and 5 pm" in supermarkets, but it would seem is widely available everywhere else?

44 minutes ago, sambum said:

It's not about the workers performance, it's about the tourist dollars!

Now how about that ridiculous "cannot buy alcohol between the hours of 2 pm and 5 pm" in supermarkets, but it would seem is widely available everywhere else?

Yes, the real volume in wee hours drinking is from Thai yuppies, particularly this crowd doing drugs to stay up all night, not foreigners.  The whales on the beach in Phuket don't go out till 4.00 am and most the sex tourists want to take their prey back to their hotel rooms long before that.