Buying a second hand scooter?

jil

I'd like to buy a second hand Honda Scoopy but I don't have much technical knowledge. What's the best way to ensure I'm buying a good bike? I was thinking of bringing a motorshop technician with me so he could check the bike.

Or are there other and better ways to get me a bike that doesn't have any hidden defects?

• Like 1

Apologies... but why a Scoopy ???...   

This has to be the most emasculating bike out there...     Its bad enough being defiled by riding a scooter in the first place (yes, I ride a scooeter, so me too)...  But on a scoopy ?...  just why ?...  is it to ride freely in the wind, open your legs and feel the wind on yer hoohoo ??

(only jest intended there - don't get upset - & Apologies if you actually are female).

On a more serious note: have you set your mind on a Scoopy ?

Have you looked at other bikes ??? Honda Clicks are extremely popular too... 

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

Since the OP has their sights on a Scoopy then I would guess that they have hired/ridden one? Not my choice as I think that they are designed for shorter riders and I even found a Click too cramped.

And by the way, plenty of Thai males ride a Scoopy - they do not see a vehicle as a virility symbol in the way that many western men do - it's just a cheap way to mobility.

T'was just a pish-take...   and taking the pish out of myself too... as you mentioned, a virility symbol, especially after stepping down from a real bike - but the around town practicality of a scooter cannot be surpassed by a real motorbike.

The points you raised are why I asked the Op if he really wants the scoopy and has he looked at other bikes - as most westerners would be too large for such a small bike.

It could be that a friend or someone he knows is selling one cheaply and that is influencing the Ops decision etc.

There is also another facet that the Op may wish to consider, epecially if unfamiliar with scooters - that is ABS... 

The Scoopy does not have ABS... but other bikes such as Aerox do... so worth some thought from that aspect.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Sad 1

If you do decide to buy a 2nd hand scooter, of any ilk, there's usually a selection in good condition being sold by foreigners who are picking up sticks and leaving Thailand.  As I recall I bought two from Bahtsold ads, one in excellent condition with low miles from a lady who had to leave and was in a hurry to sell, and another thrasher (2 stroke, 50cc POS- not even street legal because of the 50CC) for less than the cost of a pedal bicycle.  Just keep your eyes open and don't be in a rush.  Someone else may want to chime in with other "For Sale" websites to watch.

Edited by impulse
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, jil said:

I'd like to buy a second hand Honda Scoopy but I don't have much technical knowledge. What's the best way to ensure I'm buying a good bike? I was thinking of bringing a motorshop technician with me so he could check the bike.

Or are there other and better ways to get me a bike that doesn't have any hidden defects?

As others have said, buying new is a better and more safe investment - unless you want to buy a very old one.

Not universal, but I notice that the Thais that I know never put their bikes in for a service. They wait until it breaks down and then get it fixed.

I bought a second hand PCX from my local mechanic/bike rental shop to see if it was my sort of bike.

As the seller was a mechanic, if I found anything wrong with it, he fixed it. That was the deal.

When I took it for a service he asked 'What is wrong with it? What do you want me to do?' (I had the same question when I took my old Suzuki Caribbean in for a service.)

Good luck

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

As others have said, buying new is a better and more safe investment - unless you want to buy a very old one.

Not universal, but I notice that the Thais that I know never put their bikes in for a service. They wait until it breaks down and then get it fixed.

I bought a second hand PCX from my local mechanic/bike rental shop to see if it was my sort of bike.

As the seller was a mechanic, if I found anything wrong with it, he fixed it. That was the deal.

When I took it for a service he asked 'What is wrong with it? What do you want me to do?' (I had the same question when I took my old Suzuki Caribbean in for a service.)

Good luck

Agree. Buy new for 50k or buy an old beater for 12k and be prepared to spend 5k on it. I'd advise the new option although as long as the beater runs and sounds OK there is unlikely to be anything majorly wrong with it that a couple of thousand Baht won't fix.

Buying one 2-3 years old for 40k doesn't make any sense. Not worth the saving. 

15 minutes ago, BTB1977 said:

If it has hidden defects how would a motorcycle mechanic know?  

There are not enough parts to hide a defect. Anyone would know. I would be looking for defects to lower the price, brake pads, lights, shocks, seat covers.... whatever. Anyone with a simple socket set can fix them.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Agree. Buy new for 50k or buy an old beater for 12k and be prepared to spend 5k on it. I'd advise the new option although as long as the beater runs and sounds OK there is unlikely to be anything majorly wrong with it that a couple of thousand Baht won't fix.

Buying one 2-3 years old for 40k doesn't make any sense. Not worth the saving. 

How about nice 2-3 y/o for B25K.?

• Like 1

I bought a 2009 115 cc Click 8 years ago for 15,000 baht with 

50,000km on it

Like the 4 other Honda bikes I've owned it has been bullet proof.

I m not a mechanic but if you test drive it and it the engine runs fine and the steering seems ok. Chances are it will run forever and be grateful for regular oil change and maintenance.The bike has 62 k kliks now  Aside from brakes ,tires tubes and oil changes and one new battery it's needed no repair.

I'm 175 cm and 75 kg so it works for me.

I let the repair shop near where I lived to keep an eye open for a good used bike in a certain price range and they found it for me. The paperwork is a more onerous if you don't have a dealership to help you along but it's not that bad.

If you planning on using it a lot and driving long distances at speed and don't know anything about bikes,buy a car... Motorbikes are effing dangerous,

especially in LOS. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/12/2023 at 2:00 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Apologies... but why a Scoopy ???...   

This has to be the most emasculating bike out there...     Its bad enough being defiled by riding a scooter in the first place (yes, I ride a scooeter, so me too)...  But on a scoopy ?...  just why ?...  is it to ride freely in the wind, open your legs and feel the wind on yer hoohoo ??

(only jest intended there - don't get upset - & Apologies if you actually are female).

On a more serious note: have you set your mind on a Scoopy ?

Have you looked at other bikes ??? Honda Clicks are extremely popular too... 

Agreed,or even a venerable honda Wave (125) . It's got gears but no clutch so almost as easy. Got a 9 year old one from new , regularly serviced. Never goes wrong. Cheap, cheap motoring!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cjinchiangrai said:

There are not enough parts to hide a defect. Anyone would know. I would be looking for defects to lower the price, brake pads, lights, shocks, seat covers.... whatever. Anyone with a simple socket set can fix them.

Correct also check the actual discs, tyres, see if the engine smokes (get it hot first), oil leaks, how many previous owners, and mileage, Change both oils ASAP if you buy it, Also ask why they want to sell. Check the book against their ID and the frame number (normally under the seat) in the book. 

You could by a new one but a last years model are a lot cheaper.

I just went through this myself, the cheap scooters are used and abused, the decent used ones are almost as much as new. I looked at a used Honda Click for 58,000 baht, and ended up buying a new Honda Giorno for 65,000 baht and they way I see it, the new one will most likely last my lifetime as I don't put that many KMs on. Unless I ride more than I expect which is possible. But overall so far I am very happy with my choice.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just not worth the time, effort and angst (will it conk out, how was it treated etc?) over buying new, esp since vehicles really hold their value here. You might save a couple hundred bucks on something that is several years old, but lose loads of time doing it. Just get yourself down Honda, say 'I'll have that one' and buy cash. Having said that, I have bought secondhand, albeit a great price on a bike in excellent condition, but wouldn't again unless it was a real bike at a steal. Oh, and yes, the Scoopy is a bit girlie. 

1 hour ago, Tedly said:

I just went through this myself, the cheap scooters are used and abused, the decent used ones are almost as much as new. I looked at a used Honda Click for 58,000 baht, and ended up buying a new Honda Giorno for 65,000 baht and they way I see it, the new one will most likely last my lifetime as I don't put that many KMs on. Unless I ride more than I expect which is possible. But overall so far I am very happy with my choice.

The Honda Giorno is 50cc.?