7-11 takes 1000-Baht-bill for 100 Baht, shortchanges - your take?

henrik2000

2 hours ago, itsari said:

If the cashier had placed the 1000 baht note under the till while handing change of 48 baht to the customer then there would of been 48 baht minus in the till .

I always make it clear that I am handing over a 1000 baht note to the cashier . 

I did that yesterday I normally have the correct money for what I want, I was home alone and only had 1000 baht notes normally I would ask the wife for change, when I went into bigc mini I said sorry I've got no change only a 1000 baht note, 140 baht was my bill as always, 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Thailand said:
43 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

I need reading glasses but can see the difference any time of day and while drunk.

21 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Good for you.

Apparently a lot of people could not particularly if the lighting was not good.

An earlier poster, @richard_smith237  said: 'we are human and can make mistakes'. Quite true. There have been a couple of times when I've pulled a 1,000 note in mistake for a 100 and have been pleasantly surprised by the amount of change I received!' So it can work both ways.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yup, had the same in 7/11, Phuket, 2016. Too less money back from bigger note.

It was some crowded at register, but I paid attention, as red once about this trick and happend to me then!

I made a calm, but some loud fuzz and insisted and eventually after some time, got the right amount back. 

All kinds of things happend as all at a sudden register was broken and more. Them, trying to escape from this situation.

Yeah, there was one person doing it, but i could "read" in their actions more were involved in this scam. Split pot afterwards? 

Even a bill came back from the bra ! It was already transferred and I hadnt seen that ?!

Or that one must have been already from another customer and was now used to pay back in panic situation!

DIdnt say anything about that, was thinking "wtf", but ok had my money and left.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It may surprise you, but the police in Thailand sometimes do their job without upfront when asked.

If the Op is certain he's been scammed - he can ask the CCTV to be checked and if they refuse, he can request assistance from the police. 

I've been here long enough to know they will help in similar situations.

So, the Op is correct, or he made a mistake - there is really only one way of telling. 

I've been in situations when I'm 1000% certain of something, only to be proven wrong - we are human and can make mistakes. 

There are also scammers around, so, if we beleive we have been scammed we need to deal with the issue. 

Suggesting 'at most its 1000 baht' and implying its a lost cause and should give up, implies weakness on your part - if someone thinks they have been scammed, deal with it. 

Where did the 1000 Baht note go ??... surely you are not that naive ?.... if the 7-11 staff member was scamming the Op it would have been easy for him to pocket the note.

Sure, a lot of negative posts about the RTP can be read every day.
But I have got also many times help from the RTP without asking me any money.
All depends on your attitude and how you treat them.
Not everything is black or white.
A lot of gray shades between them.

On 12/14/2023 at 9:05 PM, henrik2000 said:

Hello, the bill at the 7-11 was 59 THB. I opened my wallet and saw that i only have some 1000-Baht-bills. i showed 1000 THB, asked in Thai, “dai mai khrap?” (can do?) and  the cashier murmured something jolly confirming. 

I received the change of 41 baht. After some fruitless waiting, I said “I still need 900, because I gave you 1,000”. The cashier said “no, you gave me 100”. A tense discussion ensued. At one point someone like perhaps a supervisor counted all the 100 THB bills and the 20 THB bills in the cash register without commenting on it. Stupidly I didn't check if there was any 1,000 THB bill.

My cashier said something about “Thailand Thailand” which I didn't understand. He seemed to insinuate that I confused the 100 and the 1,000 TBH bills because of their slightly similar colors, but I am 1000% sure that I gave him 1,000, and I can distinguish between the two very well. 

Now 4 or 5 staff watched us. Then he opened the cash register again and showed me that there was not a single 1,000 THB bill in it. I hadn't looked for that when they had opened it first for me, but of course my 1,000 THB could have been hidden anywhere, not the least under the stack of 100 THB bills that were there.

Finally I said, “okay up to you”, took my two small things, my 41 THB and left. On the spacious parking lot was my blinking bicycle (7 pm). At least one staff member observed me through the window. I was hoping they would come down, but they didn't and let me leave.

When cycling home I thought, I should have not taken anything - neither the 41 THB change nor the two small things - and should have said instead, “okay, please wait a little, I come back with police”, and see if they follow me to the parking lot. (I would have never contacted police anyway.)

How would you deal such a situation?

Backgrounds: 

It is the 7-Eleven in Samut Songhkram, the one next to the Don Hoi Lot landmark, about 3 km away. I believe that 7-Eleven doesn't get many foreigners. I had shown upon entering the cashiers two photos of anti-mosquito things I had snapped at friends’, and one had helpfully accompanied me to the 2 different shelves where I could find the items. I think I overheard them saying “oh, he speaks Thai” (and they can't know that I understand much less than I speak). They were much more personal with me than, say, a 7-Eleven cashier in Jomtien. 

I believe that I was dressed politely enough (not in sports garb, not in beach garb), but of course seeing me with a bicycle is a minus normally (I think I didn't see more than 3 bicycles total in several days of cycling around the province and locals told me it was silly and dangerous to bicycle; on the same morning a dog had bitten me physically because I bicycled).

Again I know very well that I gave 1,000 in the 7-11, as I am aware that I spent my last 100 THB bills for fish and rice at the Don Hoi Lot market. 

Your take?

PS

If you have a comment on getting bitten by a dog that clearly belongs to a rural 1-family-home next to a regular paved road I am interested too.

You handled the incident well.

Chalk it up to experience. 

In the regards to the dog bite, get rabies shots.

No Thai is going to owe up to saying that it's there dog who bit you.

It happened once or twice in twenty years that an item was not in the bag after shopping at a 7/11. Grrrr. However, on one occasion I thought I left a 500 baht note on the counter and upon inquiring the next day it was returned to me. The three staff each received a hundred baht tip for putting a big smile on my face. I rate 7/11 staff at 99.9/100.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2023 at 9:25 PM, Chris Daley said:

There's another scam they do at Cafe Amazon.  You give them 100 and they type in 1000 received.  Then they put 900 in their pocket from the company's profits.  Nice.

If they did that, the till will not balance at the end of the day with the sales made.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I don't believe that. I've worked tills, there's no way anyone can pull that one off. Shop managers are not that dumb!

Me too and owned bars, restaurants, a hotel etc.

You deduct the float money, because that is a constant, then count the monies left plus credits for card payments.

You would notice very quickly if there was a shortage.

When I had bars, each bartender had their own personal button before the cash register accepted the payment.

This way, if there was a vast difference in cash/takings of what one bartender took each evening compared to their colleague working alongside them, questions were asked.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Thailand said:

There was a certain amount of confusion when commemorative notes were issued a couple of years ago? 

note.png

Yes, they can be confused with one another, I have made that mistake a few times.

Hi all, thanks for more interesting input about 7-Eleven and rabies.

In an earlier post I had inquired here if I as a tourist could "pay by scan" and was told it would be very complicated to get a Thai bank account without a Thai residence and whatnot, so I forgot about it; would love to "pay by scan" for various reasons, even if not possible in the 7-Eleven.

I just remembered that I often buy street food and I ask for the price before food is handed over to me, when I am still more flexible with both hands. When I put money on the counter I note that they never ever they touch that money before I have my food and before they have produced the correct change - so it's very correct handling by the street food vendors, even if it would be more convenient at least for me to finish the full money transaction before getting the food into my hands.

It just happened again at a fruit store on the morning after I got ripped off at the 7-Eleven. I still only had 1,000 Baht notes for an 80 Baht purchase and the vendor confirmed to have change. I squeezed 1,000 Baht under some oranges; he did not touch the 1,000 Baht before I did not have the correct change and the fruit in my hand.

On 12/15/2023 at 10:58 AM, gargamon said:

Pay from your phone with a QR code. No change. Problem solved. 

Does 7/11 take QR codes for payment? 

Family Mart and some other quickie mart chains allow tap-to-pay, basically credit cards, and mom and pops often take QR scan but not 7-11.  They take AliPay which is basically for Chinese only and last year they said they were going to take Apple Pay but I have not seen it implemented.  I went to a 7 and planned to get cash at the ATM I knew was out front.  The ATM was down so I figured I would pay with either my Thai Debit cards or a credit card at the counter.  No-go.  They wouldn't accept anything.  I had to drive to an ATM (ironically at another 7) get cash and come back.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It may surprise you, but the police in Thailand sometimes do their job without upfront when asked.

If the Op is certain he's been scammed - he can ask the CCTV to be checked and if they refuse, he can request assistance from the police. 

I've been here long enough to know they will help in similar situations.

So, the Op is correct, or he made a mistake - there is really only one way of telling. 

I've been in situations when I'm 1000% certain of something, only to be proven wrong - we are human and can make mistakes. 

There are also scammers around, so, if we beleive we have been scammed we need to deal with the issue. 

Suggesting 'at most its 1000 baht' and implying its a lost cause and should give up, implies weakness on your part - if someone thinks they have been scammed, deal with it. 

Where did the 1000 Baht note go ??... surely you are not that naive ?.... if the 7-11 staff member was scamming the Op it would have been easy for him to pocket the note.

It might surprise you that it is highly unlikely the person would have taken your note and given you change of 100Baht. Why are you so righteous in your belief? If you are sure why bother to post on here. Go to the police if you want. Stop whinging about it yet do nothing. 

On 12/14/2023 at 9:45 PM, josephbloggs said:

In any 7-Eleven I've ever been in (in Bangkok at least) they always say out loud what note you have given them. If I have handed over a thousand they will say, in Thai, "you've given me one thousand" and then count the change back, every single time.

I have to say 7-Eleven staff are amongst the best trained in Thailand and I have never once been scammed in 28 years, in fact quite the opposite; when I have accidentally given too much they point it out and hand back the extra.

Not saying there isn't a rogue 7-Eleven cashier somewhere but it doesn't gel with my experience, their training, or the fact that all cashier areas are covered by CCTV so there is zero chance of them getting away with it if you ask to see the CCTV.

My experience too.

I advise learning the Thai number system and announcing the amount you are giving them BEFORE you hand it over. Look them in the eye when telling them.

So they know that you know, and anybody else standing around knows, what you have given them.

Fair warning is what you have actually given them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RocketDog said:

I advise learning the Thai number system and announcing the amount you are giving them BEFORE you hand it over. Look them in the eye when telling them.

I already did this a few times after being ripped off in the 7-Eleven. Thai customers normally don't do it, and it feels a little as if accusing the vendor of possible dishonesty, while the vast majority is certainly very honest.

I can speak all Thai numbers, even those I can't afford.