7-11 takes 1000-Baht-bill for 100 Baht, shortchanges - your take?

henrik2000

Hello, the bill at the 7-11 was 59 THB. I opened my wallet and saw that i only have some 1000-Baht-bills. i showed 1000 THB, asked in Thai, “dai mai khrap?” (can do?) and  the cashier murmured something jolly confirming. 

I received the change of 41 baht. After some fruitless waiting, I said “I still need 900, because I gave you 1,000”. The cashier said “no, you gave me 100”. A tense discussion ensued. At one point someone like perhaps a supervisor counted all the 100 THB bills and the 20 THB bills in the cash register without commenting on it. Stupidly I didn't check if there was any 1,000 THB bill.

My cashier said something about “Thailand Thailand” which I didn't understand. He seemed to insinuate that I confused the 100 and the 1,000 TBH bills because of their slightly similar colors, but I am 1000% sure that I gave him 1,000, and I can distinguish between the two very well. 

Now 4 or 5 staff watched us. Then he opened the cash register again and showed me that there was not a single 1,000 THB bill in it. I hadn't looked for that when they had opened it first for me, but of course my 1,000 THB could have been hidden anywhere, not the least under the stack of 100 THB bills that were there.

Finally I said, “okay up to you”, took my two small things, my 41 THB and left. On the spacious parking lot was my blinking bicycle (7 pm). At least one staff member observed me through the window. I was hoping they would come down, but they didn't and let me leave.

When cycling home I thought, I should have not taken anything - neither the 41 THB change nor the two small things - and should have said instead, “okay, please wait a little, I come back with police”, and see if they follow me to the parking lot. (I would have never contacted police anyway.)

How would you deal such a situation?

Backgrounds: 

It is the 7-Eleven in Samut Songhkram, the one next to the Don Hoi Lot landmark, about 3 km away. I believe that 7-Eleven doesn't get many foreigners. I had shown upon entering the cashiers two photos of anti-mosquito things I had snapped at friends’, and one had helpfully accompanied me to the 2 different shelves where I could find the items. I think I overheard them saying “oh, he speaks Thai” (and they can't know that I understand much less than I speak). They were much more personal with me than, say, a 7-Eleven cashier in Jomtien. 

I believe that I was dressed politely enough (not in sports garb, not in beach garb), but of course seeing me with a bicycle is a minus normally (I think I didn't see more than 3 bicycles total in several days of cycling around the province and locals told me it was silly and dangerous to bicycle; on the same morning a dog had bitten me physically because I bicycled).

Again I know very well that I gave 1,000 in the 7-11, as I am aware that I spent my last 100 THB bills for fish and rice at the Don Hoi Lot market. 

Your take?

PS

If you have a comment on getting bitten by a dog that clearly belongs to a rural 1-family-home next to a regular paved road I am interested too.

Edited by henrik2000
  • Sad 3

13 minutes ago, henrik2000 said:

on the same morning a dog had bitten me physically because I bicycled

After a long day of cycling and the delirium of a dog bite, you may have confused a 100 baht note for a 1000 baht note in the fading evening light.

But then, Thailand is the famous Land of Scams .....

• Agree 1

There are scams going on at a few 7-Eleven stores, but it's rare. I remember buying stuff at 7-Eleven on Khao San Road several years ago, when the police station was just opposite. Looked on receipt, and saw an item I had neither bought nor received, but that was billed to me. Then there are rare occasions where they try to short-change you by a few coins, while not giving you the receipt. If you tell them, they will just give you that change without even apologising, which is telling. - Again, most 7-Eleven staff are honest IMHO, but there are a select few stores where staff try things. Paying with big notes for small amounts is a bit risky, so it is advisable to keep an eye on what's going on, and complain immediately if there is a discrepancy. Human errors happen, but having staff count the banknotes in the till, and telling you 'no have' doesn't sound like you're going to get it back, as the cops will most probably believe the staff over you. Live and learn! Also, are you sure it wasn't your mistake, perhaps?

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

You need to look at the cashier before breaking a 1000 anywhere. Problem looking guys, no. Female students, yes. 

Learn to read people. It becomes second nature after awhile.

On the few occasions when they tried to scam me at 7-Eleven it was always middle-aged women.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

In any 7-Eleven I've ever been in (in Bangkok at least) they always say out loud what note you have given them. If I have handed over a thousand they will say, in Thai, "you've given me one thousand" and then count the change back, every single time.

I have to say 7-Eleven staff are amongst the best trained in Thailand and I have never once been scammed in 28 years, in fact quite the opposite; when I have accidentally given too much they point it out and hand back the extra.

Not saying there isn't a rogue 7-Eleven cashier somewhere but it doesn't gel with my experience, their training, or the fact that all cashier areas are covered by CCTV so there is zero chance of them getting away with it if you ask to see the CCTV.

Years ago there used to be quite a few "reports"about this happening in 7/11s and elsewhere.

As you say asking to see the cctv normally resolves it.

1 hour ago, henrik2000 said:

Hello, the bill at the 7-11 was 59 THB. I opened my wallet and saw that i only have some 1000-Baht-bills. i showed 1000 THB, asked in Thai, “dai mai khrap?” (can do?) and  the cashier murmured something jolly confirming. 

I received the change of 41 baht. After some fruitless waiting, I said “I still need 900, because I gave you 1,000”. The cashier said “no, you gave me 100”. A tense discussion ensued. At one point someone like perhaps a supervisor counted all the 100 THB bills and the 20 THB bills in the cash register without commenting on it. Stupidly I didn't check if there was any 1,000 THB bill.

My cashier said something about “Thailand Thailand” which I didn't understand. He seemed to insinuate that I confused the 100 and the 1,000 TBH bills because of their slightly similar colors, but I am 1000% sure that I gave him 1,000, and I can distinguish between the two very well. 

Now 4 or 5 staff watched us. Then he opened the cash register again and showed me that there was not a single 1,000 THB bill in it. I hadn't looked for that when they had opened it first for me, but of course my 1,000 THB could have been hidden anywhere, not the least under the stack of 100 THB bills that were there.

Finally I said, “okay up to you”, took my two small things, my 41 THB and left. On the spacious parking lot was my blinking bicycle (7 pm). At least one staff member observed me through the window. I was hoping they would come down, but they didn't and let me leave.

When cycling home I thought, I should have not taken anything - neither the 41 THB change nor the two small things - and should have said instead, “okay, please wait a little, I come back with police”, and see if they follow me to the parking lot. (I would have never contacted police anyway.)

How would you deal such a situation?

Backgrounds: 

It is the 7-Eleven in Samut Songhkram, the one next to the Don Hoi Lot landmark, about 3 km away. I believe that 7-Eleven doesn't get many foreigners. I had shown upon entering the cashiers two photos of anti-mosquito things I had snapped at friends’, and one had helpfully accompanied me to the 2 different shelves where I could find the items. I think I overheard them saying “oh, he speaks Thai” (and they can't know that I understand much less than I speak). They were much more personal with me than, say, a 7-Eleven cashier in Jomtien. 

I believe that I was dressed politely enough (not in sports garb, not in beach garb), but of course seeing me with a bicycle is a minus normally (I think I didn't see more than 3 bicycles total in several days of cycling around the province and locals told me it was silly and dangerous to bicycle; on the same morning a dog had bitten me physically because I bicycled).

Again I know very well that I gave 1,000 in the 7-11, as I am aware that I spent my last 100 THB bills for fish and rice at the Don Hoi Lot market. 

Your take?

PS

If you have a comment on getting bitten by a dog that clearly belongs to a rural 1-family-home next to a regular paved road I am interested too.

If you are sure, go to the police and ask to see the CCTV. You aren’t the first who may have been cheated in that way. It’s an oft documented scam. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi all, thanks for some good information that I will follow in the next case - ask for CCTV and perhaps fix the 1000 bill visibly under some thing, until the correct change has been shown. Even though this shows open distrust in the cashier and might be seen as an affront. 

I hadn't thought about asking for CCTV reviewing. Now I know. 

It's surprising (or not) that they themselves didn't offer to check the CCTV, especially as that assumed supervisor demonstratively counted many 100s and 20s in front of my eyes to prove I don't know what.

As is said above, I must forget and move on. But I know forgetting is difficult for me. I am still very sure that I gave 1,000, even though there is a tiny chance that I am wrong about that. I remember especially clearly how I had asked the cashier in Thai if he could produce change for a 1,000 bill (I asked to be polite and apologetic, not because I really thought he couldn't produce the change).

On a side note, recently I did some bicycle maintenance in a provincial town at a bicycle dealer in a quiet residential area. I thought I had forgotten a small pouch in front of his shop (where some packages lay around  unguarded when I arrived as the shop was still closed at 2 pm). I returned and he showed me the CCTV of our joint maintenance action and the pouch was nowhere to be seen where I thought it should have been visible in front of the shop window. I think I saw many times in the west that cashiers lay a customer's bill openly on top of the till until they have produced the correct change so that you can always watch your bill. 

I also believe (like other contributors above) that Thai salespeople and anybody are very honest almost any time. I forgot wallet, camera etc many times and got it back without fuss (somehow this doesn't happen in Cambodia).  I do remember one or two other cases of shortchanging in Thailand including one in a provincial Tesco lotus where after some tense repeated whispering suddenly the correct change had been produced (in the new case described above I had expected the same result; actually I thought at one moment in time the cashier looked very uncertain and might give me the correct change). Also there was a lovely riverside restaurant in Chiang Mai which had a trick with a wrong receipt being described online; exactly the trick described online happened to me, so I was able to point out the “error” and avoid getting cheated.

Thanks again, lesson learned.

Edited by henrik2000

17 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

It sad when you get cheated. But there are happy endings too.

Last week I was in Danang, Vn. I bought one wonderful chocolate pastry for 10 000 VND.

Had walked a block when somebody tapped my shoulder. It was a girl from the store, handing me 40 000VND. I had paid with 50 000VND bill thinking it was 10 000. Those crazy big bills get my head spinning...

I thanked her and offered 20 000 but she refused. I felt so good I walked back and bought TWO more -:). Just show my appreciation to this hole-in-wall family bakery.

Was that Paris Levain?

I don't think so... nothing fancy but excellent products by granma, mama and daughter. 10min walk from Eden Plaza Hotel.

I tried to walk and track with Google Yellow fellow but doesn't want to. Many many small streets.

• Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Peabody said:

I always verbally say, in Thai, "This is 1000 baht" when paying with a 1000.

Sure hope that does not catch on.  Imaging going shopping and all these creatures yelling about the kind of bill they are paying with.  Then the sales people yelling confirmations and after a few minutes yelling the amount of change they are giving.  Not yelling, okay but at least loud talking because whispering would have no point.  Then all the people jockeying for position to take the confirming proof video, checking it then retaking for better exposures.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

If the cashier had placed the 1000 baht note under the till while handing change of 48 baht to the customer then there would of been 48 baht minus in the till .

I always make it clear that I am handing over a 1000 baht note to the cashier . 

• Agree 1

I once bought a bag of Pacio nuts and half the nuts you could not open I brought it back no receipt they gave me a new bag no problem. I’ve never had any problems at 7-Eleven. I always tell them how much money I’m giving them and I always look at the receipt and make sure everything is correct to me after reading your story, it sounds like she ripped you off of your money. She didn’t have to necessarily even put it in the cashier or she could’ve just dropped it under the countertop to retrieve it later I would’ve asked to see the video film, though they all have the video films there and I would’ve said let me see the video film , TIT