60+ Days in Thailand, Visa Exempt status.

Hi Everyone,

Wanted to ask a few questions to clarify what my options are, I recently visited Thailand Nov 02-Nov 18 and during that time i met someone and will be visiting them more often in the future. I have planned for another trip around 70 days or late March-> Early June. Now my estimated time frame i will be staying is 70 days (Unconfirmed), but i have some questions regarding Visa Exempt status and issues that may arise. I hold a Canadian passport, and i understand it is 30 days exempt with an option to extend another 30 days. Now i know as soon as you leave Thailand and return you will be issued a new Visa exempt stamp again refreshing the time allowed. Now during my planned trip we will be traveling to other countries Japan/Vietnam/Taiwan maybe each country for a week or so spread around the 2 months we will be there. Now i know based on my Visa exempt status i will be okay as my trips outside Thailand will keep refreshing my Visa exempt status, and if need be i will extend if we dont leave Thailand again. Now my question is

1) Would it be better to apply for a multiple entry visa for 6 months so I have a less chance of running into issues with immigration, or will i be okay with just traveling to other countries relying solely on my Visa exempt status and flights out of Thailand.

2) I dont plan on having my flights booked for visiting other countries, as we plan on planning and booking as we go where we want to visit, and i have concerns that when i board my plane from Canada i may be denied boarding based on my return flight back to Canada being outside of the 30 days Visa Exempt rule

3)If my return flight is outside the 30 day Visa Exempt rule, do they consider the extension period that i can extend to an additional 30 days to 60 days?

4)My future plans are to visit my partner more often and i am worried about the frequent visits to Thailand that i will be denied entry, Should i possibly get my partner to write a letter in Thai incase they ask me questions.

Thanks,

OP, your plan using visa exempt entries will work fine.

METV is overkill.

Airlines at departure for flights to Thailand may very well require proof of onward travel.

For flight from eg Vietnam to Thailand airline 100% will require onward flight.

For Japan you (gf) won't obtain a boarding pass without onward flight.

Regarding future trips...

It's all about how long you spend out of Thailand between visits.

And time spent in Thailand.

Some folk enter visa exempt obtain extension and fly out/return same day.

Then wonder why scrutiny from immigration.

Your travel plans are different.

You can plan itinerary accordingly or purchase rent a ticket.

Such sites as "onwardticket.com" 

Aside: just one person's opinion ....to include all those countries within 70 days is over top.

Screenshot_20231209-170810.jpg

Just now, GypsyT said:

Better have ticket out within 30 days every time you enter visa free. That way no stress.

How you do it it's up to you.

I have heard people suggesting to use onward ticket, should i just do that before i board my Canada Flight to Thailand, then when i leave for example to my first country of travel, have another onward ticket booked for a later day.

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

METV is overkill.

Airlines at departure for flights to Thailand may very well require proof of onward travel.

When they check for example vietnam to thailand, will they consider that we have option to extend or just only base on the 30 days visa exempt rule.

onwardticket,com is a scam. Everybody knows it but so far seems to work.

I never use it but don't say it's bad. The World needs free spirit thinkers who help others -:)

"About us

We are a collective of digital nomads who want to help people like us in the process of visa applications. That's why we decided to create this website."

18 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

METV is overkill.

For Japan you (gf) won't obtain a boarding pass without onward flight.

Regarding future trips...

It's all about how long you spend out of Thailand between visits.

And time spent in Thailand.

Some folk enter visa exempt obtain extension and fly out/return same day.

Then wonder why scrutiny from immigration.

Your travel plans are different.

Aside: just one person's opinion ....to include all those countries within 70 days is over top.

Screenshot_20231209-170810.jpg

Yes Thank you for the update, im talking with my Girlfriend now and we are maybe planning to do as little re-entry to Thailand as possible so Now thinking i go into Thailand on 30 day, then maybe 15 days later we will travel 2-4 Weeks and do Vietnam/Taiwan/Japan, that way when i return i Will come back on my 30 day Exempt and dont need to do Extension, and when i board my flight into Thailand it will show i have a ticket leaving Thailand within 30 days. Also yes it may be a lot but we still are going to hash out the plans slowly, and prioritize things we want to see and visit. We dont have much time together as i work in Canada and getting a visa for her to come here is harder

17 minutes ago, BernardC96 said:

When they check for example vietnam to thailand, will they consider that we have option to extend or just only base on the 30 days visa exempt rule.

Plenty of reports of that working.

Moreso when you actually have a real onward flight within 60 days.

Don't think it would work eg Saigon to Bangkok.

Surprised you don't plan an itinerary.

Especially for only 70 days.

Canada to Bangkok with outbound within 30 days...eg Saigon.

Saigon to Bangkok (visa exempt) with your return flight to Canada as your onward flight. 

Next time replace Vietnam with Japan.

Wash and repeat.

Have you been to Japan. 

Spending few days there is backpacker "been there done that" nonsense.

For future trips be aware that Thai are given 15 days visa exempt to Japan and note day 1 count is day after you arrive. 

16 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

onwardticket,com is a scam. Everybody knows it but so far seems to work

Scaremongering nonsense.

Apart from that ....folk always have a fall back plan flying visa exempt.

That being any issue with boarding pass step away from check in and book a throw away ticket. eg Bangkok to Saigon. 

Obviously requires wifi.

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Plenty of reports of that working.

Moreso when you actually have a real onward flight within 60 days.

Don't think it would work eg Saigon to Bangkok.

Surprised you don't plan an itinerary.

Especially for only 70 days.

Canada to Bangkok with outbound within 30 days...eg Saigon.

Saigon to Bangkok (visa exempt) with your return flight to Canada as your onward flight. 

Next time replace Vietnam with Japan.

Wash and repeat.

Have you been to Japan. 

Spending few days there is backpacker "been there done that" nonsense.

For future trips be aware that Thai are given 15 days visa exempt to Japan and note day 1 count is day after you arrive. 

Yes so our plan is Approximately,

Early April i land in Thailand stay with her

Mid/late april (Within 30 days) Leave to Vietnam ->Taiwan->Japan around 3/4 weeks

Return mid May and have my Visa exempt reset and will leave by Early june back to Canada.

We havent planned much as i still need to set my confirmed dates for plane tickets, and get a leave approval from work, so we wont return to Thailand from Vietnam but our last leg of our travel.

And yes Japan i have lived in for 3 months, we want to visit as she has never been, so we will only be there maybe week or so

Try to leave Thailand with your "fake reservation". You can't. It's not a TICKET.

The rules dictate "onward TICKET required". That's why I don't use nor trust it.

I just wanna be sure newcomers understand the risk and don't believe all self-proclaimed experts.

What’s an onward ticket and why do I need it for my around the world trip?
In addition to a passport and any necessary visas, most countries in the world have a protocol in place that requires you to provide proof that you’ll actually be leaving their country (an onward ticket) in order for you to enter.
“Onward ticket” doesn’t mean you need a ticket home or out of that country specifically, but that you should have documentation that your travel will be continuing outside the country at a later date."

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

Try to leave Thailand with your "fake reservation". You can't. It's not a TICKET.

The rules dictate "onward TICKET required". That's why I don't use nor trust it.

I just wanna be sure newcomers understand the risk and don't believe all self-proclaimed experts.

Try and post accurate information.

Your post is nonsense. 

As I pointed out earlier, if there ever was an issue you can step back from check in desk and book throw away flight online in couple of minutes with confirmation (less than 2kb)

BTW find me ONE report of "onwardticket" or similar was not accepted. 

3 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

Dear Doctor - why do they have to be ready to "step back" if it's legit?

They do not need to be ready to step back....

I stated that to settle anyone's concerns and mistakingly take your posts regarding this as having some credibility.

Run off and find one report of anyone having an issue. 

The OP asked for advice re options and that has been provided.

Your misinformation is just personal guess work commonly referred to as scaremongering. 

21 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

BTW find me ONE report of "onwardticket" or similar was not accepted. 

have bought myself although not asked for at check-in and would do again, but would not be surprised if one day IO muppet uses discretionary authority and deems said "onward ticket" unacceptable........TIT.