Traveling to Angkor What from Bangkok

Hi,

Just finalizing my plans to visit Angkor What from Bangkok with a party of 6 people.

From my brief research it is possible to get a train to the border and bus the rest of the way to Siam Rep. This sounds like the best option to me as it allows for scenic travel through Thailand via train, has anyone done this route who can confirm this is a good option.

I have looked at on line booking for train tickets and find the web page very difficult to use as it usually states “no trains available” so I will get tickets on the day at the station or perhaps via a booking agency at Kho San Rd., Anyone else find this with the online booking or is it just me?

Myself and my wife will get re-entry visas before setting out and our 4 guests will have visas on arrival, so I assume not worries for anyone getting back into Thailand, am I assuming right?

Thanks for any tips or pointers.

Mick

Scenery is very bare, but beautiful. Not much diff if you're looking out of a minivan or a train window, given the many empty stretches.

It's a bit brutal to do in one go. Overnight in Poipet for some sleazy fun.

I'd fly instead, it's not expensive. Coming back to Thailand via the Eastern Seaboard is another scenery-fest. 

• Thumbs Up 1

You should enjoy it it's the method I'd recommend. Train to Aranya Prathet, overnight there, cross the border next morning and on via road to AW.

Did it many years ago when the roads were like Martian open cast mines, nothing but red dust and mud, and the bridges threatened to cave in. Took a taxi back then but believe there are buses now and the roads have been surfaced. It'll still be an authentic experience though. Helps appreciate the distances involved and gets you in at ground level.

Enjoy.

• Thumbs Up 1

There is a Bus or Minibus connection from Ekamai to Aran, to the border point.

I crossed the border, waited in Poipet from around 3 pm to 6 pm and took the evening bus to Siem Reap. They have coffeeshops and restaurants along the main street.

Thai trains. Yes. Once in your lifetime, but it is not real exciting in my eyes

They have - or had? - direct flights from Bangkok to Siem Reap.

I'd be inclined to fly.

Air Asia Bangkok direct to Siem Reap.

The Angkor tour is tiring in itself. Would be good to get there feeling fresh.

I actually preferred Angkor Thom to Angkhor Wat. With that in mind, make sure you buy the full tour ticket ($37 last time I was there), book a tuk tuk for the day or 2 days and do the full tour. 

I have done this more than once.  There are many options although, I have not used train.  Bus from Ekkamai or Mo Chit to Aranyprathet, (I have also used the bus from Swampy but that may not be running post-Covid - anyone know?) taxi to the border and taxi, minibus or bus to Siem Reap.  It's best to get your visa for Cambodia online and take two PRINTED copies (Cambodia loves paper) rather than lose time (and squeeze) getting a Visa on Arrival (VOA) in Poipet. With the online visa you can bypass the Cambodian Visa office and head directly to Cambodian immigration.  It costs an extra US$7 to get the online Cambodia visa, but well worth it IMHO.  The Cambodian VOA will use a full page in your passport plus in/out stamps, whereas with the online visa there are only the in/out stamps.  When you exit Cambodian immigration you will see a roundabout immediately ahead, keep right and head anti-clockwise around the roundabout and you will find several minibus operators.  Best to avoid the free shuttle bus to the (out of town) bus station as this can waste several hours. Probably more than 50% of tourists using the border-crossing are heading for Siem Reap so the options are plentiful.

19 minutes ago, sandyf said:

As said, better off flying and I would suggest getting an e-visa for Cambodia rather than risking a long wait at the VOA desk. I was quite lucky, one of the first off the a/c but by the time I got my passport back there was quite a queue.

Stay in Siem Reap and get tuk tuk early morning, by mid morning quite a queue waiting to get in. It is an exhausting day at Ankor so do not waste energy on the journey.

Agreed.  An early entry to Angkor Wat also allows you to start your tour whilst it's still (relatively) cool.

• Thanks 1

buy through tickets from agents in the khaosan road area, suggest you don't use an agent on KSR as they will be more expensive, plenty of options in the surrounding streets and shop around for the best price - you'll probably end up on the same bus wherever you buy your ticket.

did the journey in 1998, before they constructed the road from poi pet to siem reap, traveled in the back of a pick up through the night and it poured down, the road (track) was shocking, huge pot holes, bridges non-existent or broken down, stopped by armed men in the middle of the night a couple of time for bribes. it took 23 hours from bkk - sien reap, but in those days i was younger and loved the adventure of travel, it was part of my 3 year round the world trip so was fine in the back of a pick up!

Make sure you get a firm price for all  your transport dueing your stay at siem reap.   Lots of scammers   dont waste rime going to the waterfall.  Prepare tiur guests for all the trash along the roads and slums right outside the parks. 

On 12/17/2023 at 11:55 AM, Mick 1 said:

Hi,

Just finalizing my plans to visit Angkor What from Bangkok with a party of 6 people.

From my brief research it is possible to get a train to the border and bus the rest of the way to Siam Rep. This sounds like the best option to me as it allows for scenic travel through Thailand via train, has anyone done this route who can confirm this is a good option.

I have looked at on line booking for train tickets and find the web page very difficult to use as it usually states “no trains available” so I will get tickets on the day at the station or perhaps via a booking agency at Kho San Rd., Anyone else find this with the online booking or is it just me?

Myself and my wife will get re-entry visas before setting out and our 4 guests will have visas on arrival, so I assume not worries for anyone getting back into Thailand, am I assuming right?

Thanks for any tips or pointers.

Mick

The train leaves from the old Bangkok station. Hua Lamphong

Buy ticket on the day. Morning and afternoon train.

Destination Ban Klong Luk not Aran.

Usually there is one carriage with soft seats.

Get e-visas for Cambodia.

With six people, worth taking share taxi from Poipet. Make sure the taxi driver you are dealing with is going to be the one driving and check out the taxi. Most are good now.

• 2 weeks later...