Analysis: ‘House Arrest’ For Privileged Convict Thaksin Imminent

webfact

A decision, if at all, for Thai citizens to respond, not for me as a US retiree living here for over a decade. On the other hand, my mind still functions and so I do have reflections. I read three dozen books dealing with Thailand before deciding to make The Kingdom of Thailand my home in retirement. Some of those books dealt with Thai politics so I am aware of Thaksin’s faults. I am also aware of the politics at play here and that as an elected Prime Minister he was overthrown by a military coup d’etat (as would be his Sister later). As to his return and being placed under house arrest? Why not? Double standard you say? Guess I am sidelined as an American … justice in my own country is also based, in large measure, on status determined by wealth. Found guilty in a court of law you say? And I suppose the majority of the reason was not political? Understand I am not stating that he and Yingluck might have justified charges brought to trial but … given the circumstances of coups, this, in large measure negates the handling of these matters. Historically consistent with Thailand’s use of coups.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

The 'masses' actually like the guy and prefer him to the alternatives.

He won elections and did follow up on his election promises. The others didn't.

Exactly but the shepple farangs will always beat their chest kidding themselves otherwise.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Purdey said:

I guess the Thai people already believe money can buy happiness. 

You guess correctly, its one of their core beliefs. Not only happiness but status and respect too. Its a deeply ingrained philosophy within their religious establishment too,  there are plenty of examples for reference

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

The Thai people elected him, repeatedly. 

After he was forced out, and "convicted" he went into exile - probably wisely, his enemies then in power would have killed him if he was imprisoned. Then they ( the Thai people )elected his proxies, repeatedly. They too were forced out. His sister Yingluck was " convicted". She went into exile, after being held "incommunicado" for some time. Very probably for the same reason. She was you may remember forced to leave her son in Thailand, the military insisted he remain to do his school cadet force training!

Surely you cannot be surprised that the Thai people are not particularly upset that he is effectively free? When the coupmongers who took control of the country and made such a mess of it over the past decade or more got away scot free?

But who do you think sanctions these coups ?  ( I have no idea)    You surely did not think it was all Prayuths idea did you?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

Eventually, he will end up being a Prime Minister here, but then change the law completely completely, and allow his sister to come back, and all is well in the land of smiles TIT

Yup!

She, of course, now needs some time to arrange her own 'severe' illness and then she too can come back and enjoy the fruits of their corruption. They will be feted around Thailand - until the army steps in again.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, smedly said:

jail is beneath him

what bothers me is how the Thai people just accept this ##

from the election until now just one thing after aother

Except them for what they are, poorly educated unable to think for themselves. They know their place in society.

• Thumbs Up 1

I find all these references and comparisons to sheep highly amusing to be honest.  

Has anybody on here making such comparisons ever witnessed  "sheep dog trials"  very entertaining watching a lone farmer working together in perfect harmony with a dog or sometimes several dogs, controlling them often by using a whistle  or just a few grunts in an ancient and incomprehensible language  (welsh) skillfully guiding a large herd into a confined space that they instinctively  fear and try to avoid  

I doubt any on here and few in Thailand would be capable.  Solely due to the amount of skill involved

Conversely people are relatively easy to control and manipulate, there are various relatively simple techniques,  the use of fear, (especially of the unknown) worked wonders for governments during the Covid "crisis". 

Another method that works well is the handing out of small amounts of cash.  nothing hard about that 

11 minutes ago, Bundooman said:

Yup!

She, of course, now needs some time to arrange her own 'severe' illness and then she too can come back and enjoy the fruits of their corruption. They will be feted around Thailand - until the army steps in again.

She has the advantage that she is approaching the age when she can claim to be suffering from "lady problems"  unlikely to be questioned to deeply over that sort of thing

3 hours ago, Shoeless Joe said:

It's the funniest thing in the world seeing a bunch of farangs get themselves SO worked up about something that's absolutely nothing to do with them.

Keep the comments coming. I really enjoy the laugh.

Joe

Got some shoes yet, Joe?

1 minute ago, Bday Prang said:

She has the advantage that she is approaching the age when she can claim to be suffering from "lady problems"  unlikely to be questioned to deeply over that sort of thing

When big bro takes the helm, she won't need an excuse! :jap:

33 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

But who do you think sanctions these coups ?  ( I have no idea)    You surely did not think it was all Prayuths idea did you?

There was ( still are, but no longer as influential) a number of powerful groupings at the top of Thai society. I don't actually think it was the one many may assume, that power source, though still extant was effectively by then out of play. If I had to put money on it (I won't - it is after all illegal) I would suggest a retired distinguished general and former premier, who retained and wielded extraordinary influence right up until his death.

"Regency" ( brandy) is a potent and rather pleasant tipple, much enjoyed by him, albeit never formally acknowledged.

6 minutes ago, 2baht said:

Except them for what they are, poorly educated unable to think for themselves. They know their place in society.

Not just the uneducated ones,, they all know their place, The Thai language has more pronouns than you would find at a LGBGTQ conference, and they are all designed to reinforce ones social status (or lack of)   The ostensibly simple "Wai" used in greetings performs an identical purpose, and often results in foreigners looking either stupid , ridiculous or often  downright insulting

I have never seen a nation of people so adept at literally grovelling to those the consider superior to themselves yet at the same time showing a distinct disdain of those they consider inferior socially

Anybody who chooses to disagree with that really will be showing there ignorance of the very essence of Thai culture

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

There was ( still are, but no longer as influential) a number of powerful groupings at the top of Thai society. I don't actually think it was the one many may assume, that power source, though still extant was effectively by then out of play. If I had to put money on it (I won't - it is after all illegal) I would suggest a retired distinguished general and former premier, who retained and wielded extraordinary influence right up until his death.

"Regency" ( brandy) is a potent and rather pleasant tipple, much enjoyed by him, albeit never formally acknowledged.

Regency is unique, in so much that it is openly advertised on TV.  the past few evenings the advert has been shown at 10pm and 11pm on channel 29 (mono)  ok no sight of the actual product itself but also no images of a similarly named soda water like the chang adverts, but the Brand name was clearly shown  and there was a clear alcohol warning which to me confirms what they were advertising. 

9 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Not just the uneducated ones,, they all know their place, The Thai language has more pronouns than you would find at a LGBGTQ conference, and they are all designed to reinforce ones social status (or lack of)   The ostensibly simple "Wai" used in greetings performs an identical purpose, and often results in foreigners looking either stupid , ridiculous or often  downright insulting

I have never seen a nation of people so adept at literally grovelling to those the consider superior to themselves yet at the same time showing a distinct disdain of those they consider inferior socially

Anybody who chooses to disagree with that really will be showing there ignorance of the very essence of Thai culture

So true, face is the very taint that holds them back!

3 minutes ago, 2baht said:

So true, face is the very taint that holds them back!

Taint lickers   ( credit to the American Pie films for that phrase)   to a man / woman

If anybody needs that phrase explaining I will be only to happy to elaborate on its origin

• Haha 2

It seems to me that Thaksin was elected and is very popular, but he was ousted in a Coup by the Military and then charged with every crime under the sun. They immediately changed everything and he was eventually found guilty of IMO a few trumped up charges.  In general the same thing then happened to his Sister - ousted and charged and found guilty. And the same type of people that brought down the two Thaksins, then denied Pita, as leader of the MFP, becoming the nominated PM, even though his Party received more votes than anyone else. Likewise they also trumkped up BS charges against Pita and he had to resign from the Party and leave.  

I am not saying there is nothing going on with Thaksin senior, or that junior Thaksin (Sister) will not come back and also be given 'special treatment', but it looks to me that they have a bit in common with Pita - and it is the same group that has done all three of them over through targetted and biased legal proceedings by people they all control and influence. 

35 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

It seems to me that Thaksin was elected and is very popular, but he was ousted in a Coup by the Military and then charged with every crime under the sun. They immediately changed everything and he was eventually found guilty of IMO a few trumped up charges.  In general the same thing then happened to his Sister - ousted and charged and found guilty. And the same type of people that brought down the two Thaksins, then denied Pita, as leader of the MFP, becoming the nominated PM, even though his Party received more votes than anyone else. Likewise they also trumkped up BS charges against Pita and he had to resign from the Party and leave.  

I am not saying there is nothing going on with Thaksin senior, or that junior Thaksin (Sister) will not come back and also be given 'special treatment', but it looks to me that they have a bit in common with Pita - and it is the same group that has done all three of them over through targetted and biased legal proceedings by people they all control and influence. 

You may be right you may be wrong, the truth is none of us foreigners really have the slightest idea what is going on in  Thai Politics,

You should refer to my earlier post  We don't even know the correct pronouns to use when addressing people or how to "wai" correctly when greeting strangers.

Any" informed political comments" that might be made on forums like this, are based purely on  western preconceptions and ideologies, and on what information people have been  selectively spoon fed by english speaking mainstream media and of course a few self appointed experts

Whilst we are of course perfectly entitled to comment, none of us are really qualified to do so to any meaningful degree

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

"Regency" ( brandy) is a potent and rather pleasant tipple,

I don't mind a bit of regency now and again to be honest  however I freely admit I am in no way a connoisseur !  Its a while since I drank any but I seem to remember on the bottle that it once won some sort of award 20 odd years ago.  I still find it very unlikely that it is seen as a threat by other established companies who produce brandy , and at 600baht a bottle, I doubt producing a bottle of it on arrival at  party involving the higher echelons of Thai society would garner any respect . 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bundooman said:

They will be feted around Thailand - until the army steps in again.

There have been military coups in Thailand well before Thaksin was born. (Started in 1933?)

It is part if the uberrich's plan to keep the masses poor and uneducated whilst leaving the rich to enjoy their spoils.