What did you text me?

Lacessit

I received a text message from Thai Smile informing me my flight from CR to Bangkok had been cancelled. The message also informed me my new flight had an identical departure time and date to the cancelled flight. AFAICT the only difference is the coding, TG vs WE, same number.

Bizarre, can someone familiar with aviation explain this please?

• Haha 1

IATA designator for the airline...thus change of airline.  If they change the 3 digit code it means they have taken an engine of for maintenance, but not to worry, they can fly on one engine so long as they don't go over water.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DaLa said:

IATA designator for the airline...thus change of airline.  If they change the 3 digit code it means they have taken an engine of for maintenance, but not to worry, they can fly on one engine so long as they don't go over water.

You mean there are twin-engined aircraft taking off on one engine as a routine flight?

I wonder what travel insurance companies have to say about that.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Bizarre, can someone familiar with aviation explain this please?

I am a pilot, actually, or, at least, I once was before my license to fly was not kept up-to-date by me.

Even in these days, flight is uncertain due to weather conditions, scheduling problems, computer glitches, and many other things.

Stick to your benchwork if you want to always be in control...is my advice to you.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I am a pilot, actually, or, at least, I once was before my license to fly was not kept up-to-date by me.

Even in these days, flight is uncertain due to weather conditions, scheduling problems, computer glitches, and many other things.

Stick to your benchwork if you want to always be in control...is my advice to you.

You Gamma are not only a fine pilot but a great poster in here,your a man of many talents 💜💜

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I think I will pass on the advice of someone who is murdering cabbage, and other innocent vegetables.

Tried piloting a small aircraft over the Hamersley Ranges once. While I could do it, quite taxing keeping the aircraft level.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I think I will pass on the advice of someone who is murdering cabbage, and other innocent vegetables.

Tried piloting a small aircraft over the Hamersley Ranges once. While I could do it, quite taxing keeping the aircraft level.

Before you get your license to fly, you must prove that you can put the aircraft into a spin, and then recover.

I do not mean a slight spin.

I mean a FULL spin with several rotations.....and then a recover.

Try that on for size.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Before you get your license to fly, you must prove that you can put the aircraft into a spin, and then recover.

Try that on for size.

As Dirty Harry once said, a man's got to know his limitations. No thanks.

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Try that on for size.

Uh in what country or age? In the US spin recovery training was dropped decades ago. Modern idea is to avoid getting into a spin in the first place, and it does make a lot of sense. Reality showed that if you're getting inadvertently into a spin, it's most probably at a low altitude which will not allow for recovery anyway.

Edit: apparently Canada still does spin recovery though. 

3 hours ago, SeaBee said:

Uh in what country or age? In the US spin recovery training was dropped decades ago. Modern idea is to avoid getting into a spin in the first place, and it does make a lot of sense. Reality showed that if you're getting inadvertently into a spin, it's most probably at a low altitude which will not allow for recovery anyway.

Edit: apparently Canada still does spin recovery though. 

You are absolutely correct.

I learned to fly in 1973.

We also did aerobatics in a Bellanca with a stick for controls.

HammerHead Stalls are simply the Best...

On 12/19/2023 at 8:41 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

You are absolutely correct.

I learned to fly in 1973.

We also did aerobatics in a Bellanca with a stick for controls.

HammerHead Stalls are simply the Best...

1994 here... I also went through some spin recovery but I remember at the time CFI insisted that it was not part of syllabus.

I cant say I was shocked though because introductory flight had consisted of landing the 152 on a muddy dirt trail to attend a huge crayfish jamboree at a farm, then (!) a few loops and rolls (and a couple hammerheads, fun indeed) in a Decathlon. Then we had to wash the mud collected upon landing off the 152, so FBO (nor FAA :D ) wouldn't know of our little escape. Proper good times lol

Edited by SeaBee

13 hours ago, SeaBee said:

1994 here... I also went through some spin recovery but I remember at the time CFI insisted that it was not part of syllabus.

I cant say I was shocked though because introductory flight had consisted of landing the 152 on a muddy dirt trail to attend a huge crayfish jamboree at a farm, then (!) a few loops and rolls (and a couple hammerheads, fun indeed) in a Decathlon. Then we had to wash the mud collected upon landing off the 152, so FBO (nor FAA :D ) wouldn't know of our little escape. Proper good times lol

Yes, but the 152 is not aerobatics rated.  Hammerheads might not be such a good idea.

On 12/19/2023 at 2:51 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

flying with the Wright Bros doesn't count as there were no license' back then

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Yes, but the 152 is not aerobatics rated.  Hammerheads might not be such a good idea.

Aerobatics were in a Decathlon not the 152 lol

With what 100HP no chance the 152 would even go anywhere near vertical anyway :D

The spins we did in the 152 a bit later in the training but I remember we'd only go for 1/2 spin and recover way short of full because the AC was not certified as aerobatic.

8 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

SORRY!

I meant the Cessna 172,,,,

I am truly an idiot, as some here have occasionally mentioned!

I was thinking Cessna 150, and Cessna 172.

But, the signals got crossed in my brain.

And my signals went from Green to RED...

As Hendrix would say.

Let Jimi take over!

Best advice for me, I guess.

PS:  Concerning spinning an aircraft, it has been my understanding that with modern aircraft, in order to get certification, the aircraft must be capable of auto-correcting in order to get out of a spin, within three full rotations, with hands off the controls.  I could be wrong, as usual, however.

PPS:  The Bellanca of my day was a beautiful aircraft fabricated from canvas and wood. Fairly high performance.  Such a thing of beauty, in my estimation.  I would like to fly in one, again, before I die.  We were compelled to wear parachutes before doing aerobatics, but nobody showed me where the ripcord was located.  Still, It would not have mattered, because....I think it would have been too difficult to exit the Bellanca if we had come apart in mid air.  The forces would have precluded it.  Am I wrong?

Edited by GammaGlobulin