Do you do immigration business yourself? If so why?

5 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Just hand him your form, neatly typed and signed in blue ink.

As happened before, hands it back with a new blank form and says "copy info here needs to be handwritten", why I stopped using the online blank.

What I do now is accumulation of all the "issues" I've had, the application has sailed through the last 2 years, so I can expect to have problems this year.

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

My IO does the opposite...they take my handwritten form and then type up their own and have me sign that. Ditto if I give them a filled in types downloaded form.  

OMG. Laugh rather cry. What they'll do to ensure job security.

7 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

As happened before, hands it back with a new blank form and says "copy info here needs to be handwritten", why I stopped using the online blank.

What I do now is accumulation of all the "issues" I've had, the application has sailed through the last 2 years, so I can expect to have problems this year.

Can't believe the absurdity, man. If handwrote my application, they couldn't read it. Not sure why they'd want to try to read yours.

I guess out of sheer stubbornness I'd scan a form I'd handwritten then take it by a print shop to print out a few copies in color and then write in the new date in one of them. Hand that in and see what they say. 

1 minute ago, BigStar said:

Can't believe the absurdity, man. If handwrote my application, they couldn't read it. Not sure why they'd want to try to read yours.

I guess out of sheer stubbornness I'd scan a form I'd handwritten then take it by a print shop to print out a few copies in color and then write in the new date in one of them. Hand that in and see what they say. 

Wrong color ink, do again!

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, donmuang37 said:

I've been doing my own extensions of stay for 21 years at Chiang Wattana with the assistance of my Thai wife.  The first two years, retirement so I couldn't work.  Changed to supporting Thai wife since then.  Sometimes the queues are fairly long and occasionally we have to run and make an extra copy of something.  Parking can be a little difficult.  But, overall, the Immigration Officers have been fair and polite.  No problems in 21 years.  None!  Happy with the service.

Why should I pay an agent??

Has Chiang Wattana been open 21 years???.

I have been here the same years as you and it was the nightmare that was Suan Plu.  About a three day trip for us up country bods. One day just to go to Wireless Road and get the Brit embassy income letter,  across to Silom to Bangkok Bank HQ and then at least allow a whole day for the extension in Suan Plu.

I remember one year going there to get a re-entry permit,  another PIA.  One thing I always found funny there was the certificate of residence was done in the overstay fines office.......Happy times......

I fear I've created a monster LOL! But seriously, I am grateful for all the responses. I found out something I wasn't sure of. That there are actually quite a lot of expats who do their own immigration business AND frequent this forum/board. Thanks to everyone (save the trolls) for the responses.

On 12/27/2023 at 12:59 PM, Tropicalevo said:

Why do you assume that others are 'going around the rules'?

I have a company (well actually two) and we hire Thai staff.

My accountant handles my income tax, social security, annual accounts, work permit, and visa (which is 'tied' to the accounts and the work permit).

She also handles the SS and tax for the staff.

Included in her services is the visa renewal, as I said, that is tied to the WP and making a profit, and she includes 90 day reporting and everything else.

I go to the IO once a year for the photograph. Appointment made by the accountant, 5 mins max and home again.

Before I hired this accounting company, I used to do things myself.

I was always asked for a bribe and made to sit in the office and wait for hours because I refused to pay it.

The IO people would accuse me of working illegally and even phoned my home to check that there was a business there.

Why would I do things myself?

In your situation it would pay to have good solid employees or hired agents to conduct the business. My post is directed at single case business. I think it goes without saying that using an agent for this more complex business makes good sense especially if they are reputable and well organized and effective.

Edited by likerdup1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

Henry Ford, you can have any color so long as it's black, or something like that.

364 days of the year I don't need color.

You said you would not purchase a colour printer.

My point was, I can't recall the last time I saw a printer that prints only black and white and doesn't print colour. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

27 minutes ago, Unify said:

I used an agent for my first extension. I met the financial requirements, but I wanted someone who knew what they were doing to help me through. I also paid for the year's 90-day reports, since it was cheap.

But what did it get me? I filled out forms in the agent's office rather than the immigration office. And I still had to deliver my passport to the agent for the 90-day reports. I didn't even save a trip.

I've done it myself since. If I have a gf she might help. If not, that's ok. 

Exactly! Even if you hire an agent, they don't help you procure the required documentation, or even fill out the forms in some cases. They are just a middle man who give instructions and does some hand holding at immigration. For 30k THB? No!! Forget the middle man, come on this forum, get directions and help and DIY.

For the 90 days reporting I've heard some agents who do business for Bangkok residence but give a Pattaya address require you to hand over your passport to them every 90 days. I'll bet they just go online and do the 90 day reports and for people who don't know any better put on a song and dance to justify the high fee for it.

Those of us who DIY immigration business know that 90 day reports can easily be done online in a few short minutes

Edited by likerdup1

22 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Show a link please. 

Here's a few (there are plenty more):

German Hells Angels Gang Member Apprehended in Thailand

"BANGKOK, Aug 25 (TNA) – Immigration police arrested a German national who is believed to be a member of the Hells Angels motorcycle gang and is wanted for assault by the authorities in his country."

German fugitive is arrested in Chiang Mai For child sexual abuse

"Immigration authorities have arrested a fugitive named Mike, a 32-year-old German citizen"

International motorcycle gang and Indonesian drug syndicate nabbed in Thailand crackdown

"An international motorcycle gang and a major Indonesian drug gang, both of whom had fled to Thailand, have been apprehended in a sweeping operation by the Thai Immigration Bureau (IB)."

13 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Here's a few (there are plenty more):

German Hells Angels Gang Member Apprehended in Thailand

"BANGKOK, Aug 25 (TNA) – Immigration police arrested a German national who is believed to be a member of the Hells Angels motorcycle gang and is wanted for assault by the authorities in his country."

German fugitive is arrested in Chiang Mai For child sexual abuse

"Immigration authorities have arrested a fugitive named Mike, a 32-year-old German citizen"

International motorcycle gang and Indonesian drug syndicate nabbed in Thailand crackdown

"An international motorcycle gang and a major Indonesian drug gang, both of whom had fled to Thailand, have been apprehended in a sweeping operation by the Thai Immigration Bureau (IB)."

All to do with immigration.

Show how immigration go out and arrest Thai nationals. Maybe fining foreigners speeding or riding a motorcycles with no crash helmet.

Edited by youreavinalaff

3 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Why would Immigration arrest Thai nationals!!!!

Exactly.

My comments refer to a comment by a poster saying immigration are police and have the same powers as police, maybe even more powers 

I'm pointing out they are different forces, have different powers and deal in different matters.

1 minute ago, youreavinalaff said:

Exactly.

My comments refer to a comment by a poster saying immigration are police and have the same powers as police, maybe even more powers 

I'm pointing out they are different forces, have different powers and deal in different matters.

Ah, I see. But Immigration Department is a division of the Royal Thai Police so there is quite a bit of overlap and similarity between them.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Ah, I see. But Immigration Department is a division of the Royal Thai Police so there is quite a bit of overlap and similarity between them.

Run by different government offices. Different heads. Different jurisdictions. Different powers.

Overlap? More like occasionally working together rather than overlap.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, youreavinalaff said:

Run by different government offices. Different heads. Different jurisdictions. Different powers.

Er......you need to do some googling on that I'm afraid.

https://www.immigration.go.th/en/

Thailand changed its political system. At the same time an economic crisis caused the new government to cut its budget, which resulted in the former Immigration Department to be downgraded to the Immigration Division under the command of the Police Department of the Ministry of the Interior in November 1932

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Mike Lister said:

Er......you need to do some googling on that I'm afraid.

https://www.immigration.go.th/en/

Thailand changed its political system. At the same time an economic crisis caused the new government to cut its budget, which resulted in the former Immigration Department to be downgraded to the Immigration Division under the command of the Police Department of the Ministry of the Interior in November 1932

Yes, correct. 

However, look at the family tree of policing and immigration. It branches out and each departments has its own head and department.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Again you take threads off topic.

Even the OP has asked to get back to topic.

Habit of sidetracking for some reason

Not me.

I simply replied to a comment with incorrect information.

There seem to be many expats unaware of many immigration policies.

You yourself say it's best to give as much info as possible. 

People here speaking of immigration rule breaking.

Having heard instances of people being extorted by immigration who over stepped their juristiction, it's important people know when this could be happening to them and what immigration can and cannot do.