Thai man saves 300,000 baht in six months by stocking 50-baht notes

webfact

Maybe an interesting side note -

I cannot see any 50 baht notes in the photo with Param IX on them. They all show the current king.

Many Thais are keeping the lower denomination notes (< 500 baht) with the old king on as they love him and want to keep his memory.

"Not many people know dat."

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

The story runs as though the guy doesnt have any overheads, living expense etc.

However I do have a similar yarn from when I was young and out 3 or 4 nights a week at the boozer/dances etc.  The drunker uou get the more notes you go through buying drinks, cant be bothered fiddling with change.  When I got home I would empty my pockets on top of an old plywood wardrobe.  Well out of sight I would forget about it sober, until one night, in the early hours, the roof of the wardrobe collapsed, disturbing the whole house.  I cant recall how much but it was a multi hundered dollar surprise!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Every time he sold a fish, he would exchange the money for 50-baht notes and drop them into a jar. This simple yet effective method allowed him to save almost 300,000 baht within half a year, reported Sanook.

So that was his gross income?

14 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

A 33 year old man named Thana Benjasak has made an inspiring impact on social media with his unique savings method. Thana, a breeder of Siamese fighting fish residing in Klong Chuk Chae, Chachoengsao, has managed to amass nearly 300,000 baht (US$8,727) in just six months by saving 50-baht notes.

Thana’s saving journey began when he saw a TikTok video about people saving 50-baht notes. Intrigued, he decided to give it a try. Every time he sold a fish, he would exchange the money for 50-baht notes and drop them into a jar. This simple yet effective method allowed him to save almost 300,000 baht within half a year, reported Sanook.

“I saw this savings method on TikTok and thought I’d try it,” Thana shared. “Every time I sold a Siamese fighting fish, I would exchange the money for 50-baht notes and put them in a jar. After six to seven months of doing this, I counted the money and it took over four hours to complete, but the result was staggering – 294,300 baht.”

by Nattapong Westwood

Photo courtesy of Khao Sod

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-12-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

I do the same with 1000 Baht notes:post-4641-1156694572:

11 hours ago, vangrop said:

Very good initiative. But I think he is an ultimate exception, because they do not know the word saving. It is simply not in their dictionnary, Neither as logic by the way. I know I asked the GF

Try living on 300 baht a day and see how much you can save.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting story that after only 6 months he has made that much and saved it, as well as buying new stock and normal daily living expenses.

About a year ago, I decided I would keep all new Rubber B20's I received in change and put them away, Last week (I don't go looking for them), I counted them and had B4,300. I didn't miss the money; that now gives me a feeling of having about B4,300 more than I thought.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

About a year ago, I decided I would keep all new Rubber B20's I received in change and put them away, Last week (I don't go looking for them), I counted them and had B4,300. I didn't miss the money; that now gives me a feeling of having about B4,300 more than I thought.

That makes sense as a method of saving.

The fish guy's method makes no sense at all!

He sells a fish for x baht.

He then changes that x baht into 50 baht notes. I assume that means a trip to the bank as 50 baht notes are not that common.

He puts those notes in a bucket.

He is averaging close to 2000 baht per day so this must involve a fair amount of hassle.

After 6 months he has 6000 50 baht notes that he probably needs to change into larger denominations.

He could have just opened a savings account and paid the money into the account instead of changing it into 50 baht notes!

• Agree 1

To all the naysaying posters, my wife has been saving every 50 baht note she gets in her change from shopping for the last 8 months. Whilst not 300K, she has amassed 10.5K.
Some of the people here need to get a life instead of deriding Thais.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Totally worthless story.  There's nothing to be learned from this.  Some loser divided his salary into 50 baht notes.  So now what's next?  You ask the kbank staff to accept sacks of notes?  Moron.

Edited by Chris Daley

8 hours ago, This Guy said:

To all the naysaying posters, my wife has been saving every 50 baht note she gets in her change from shopping for the last 8 months. Whilst not 300K, she has amassed 10.5K.
Some of the people here need to get a life instead of deriding Thais.

Or she could just have saved up a fixed amount and have the same amount or more. People who think this is a smart way, are just ignorant about how they are with their money. It's even stupid because instead of saving a fixed amount, you let it depend on chance.

Edited by ChaiyaTH