Power Bank

lelapin

5 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Actually the limit for airlines is slightly higher than 20,000 mAh rather than 10,000.

my suggestion is the Orson eloop there are several models available in stores and from Lazada 

This is mine and I’ve had it for a couple of years.

IMG_8083.jpeg

IMG_8082.jpeg

IMG_8081.jpeg

This info is more current, there once was a time when 10000mAh was the limit, but now the limit seems to be 100Wh = 27000mAh (although may vary by airline or country).  The 20000mAh model you have seems very widely accepted these days.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Actually the limit for airlines is slightly higher than 20,000 mAh rather than 10,000.

my suggestion is the Orson eloop there are several models available in stores and from Lazada 

one point is make sure the capacity is clearly marked on the power bank or it may be taken from you by security.

IMG_8083.jpeg

IMG_8082.jpeg

IMG_8081.jpeg

I was not aware that the limit had been increased. Good point about the markings.

On 12/28/2023 at 11:49 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

one point is make sure the capacity is clearly marked on the power bank or it may be taken from you by security.

IMG_8083.jpeg

IMG_8082.jpeg

IMG_8081.jpeg

I bought the exact one, charges up really quick, one of the best battery banks I've ever bought & I've bought many......

• Like 1

On 12/28/2023 at 12:43 PM, Lacessit said:

I was not aware that the limit had been increased. Good point about the markings.

The limit is actually 32KmAh, I checked on that before I bought my last one from Lazada which was supposed to be 30K. By the time I noticed it was marked 90K it was too late to return.

When I went to the UK I discharged it and put it in the suitcase but it was detected. Had to open the case and take it out before I could board. I explained what had happened and said it was discharged and they let me go with it in the hand luggage.

We were late into Dubai and the last thing I needed was a problem at security so I threw it in the bin.

On 12/28/2023 at 11:20 AM, Lacessit said:

Bear in mind you should limit the power to 10,000 mAH, more and the airlines won't let it on board.

You also need to check the powerbank has the right connection for your iphone.

Can't help with where, I bought mine in Oz.

I travel regularly, internationally from Thailand and have no problems with my 20,000 mAH powerbank.

Maybe Oz rules are different.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

The limit is actually 32KmAh, I checked on that before I bought my last one from Lazada which was supposed to be 30K. By the time I noticed it was marked 90K it was too late to return.

When I went to the UK I discharged it and put it in the suitcase but it was detected. Had to open the case and take it out before I could board. I explained what had happened and said it was discharged and they let me go with it in the hand luggage.

We were late into Dubai and the last thing I needed was a problem at security so I threw it in the bin.

Your information is incorrect. The limit is actually 27,000mAh (100Wh) without getting permission from the airline and you can have several, this is why the 20,000 mAh power banks are popular. With airline prior permission you are allowed 1 or 2  X 160Wh batteries. 

So you were lucky that the airline allowed your over sized power bank on board. It is irrelevant if it is charged or discharged and lithium power banks are never permitted in checked baggage. Laptop computers are allowed in checked in baggage but it is a poor idea to do so given the treatment of some checked bags.

There are special measures on cargo aircraft for carriage of lithium batteries and lithium batteries in devices.

• Like 1

Recently saw a video where a guy bought several power banks to check internal battery ratings as compared to total rating for the power bank itself.

Most held 2 lithium batteries and all but one brand were underrated as compared to the rating on the unit. Some by a fair gap.

One brand's batteries did total the unit rating, unfortunately I can not remember the brand. I will add later if I remember.

I posted this so people are aware.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2023 at 11:20 AM, Lacessit said:

Bear in mind you should limit the power to 10,000 mAH, more and the airlines won't let it on board.

You also need to check the powerbank has the right connection for your iphone.

Can't help with where, I bought mine in Oz.

Actually unless rules have changed in the past years the limit is 20,000 mah and the airlines will check it at security checkpoint. You can verify limits with the airlines

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

Actually unless rules have changed in the past years the limit is 20,000 mah and the airlines will check it at security checkpoint. You can verify limits with the airlines

The limit is actually 27,000mAh (100Wh) without getting permission from the airline, so 20,000 mAh power banks are a safe bet.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Your information is incorrect. The limit is actually 27,000mAh (100Wh) without getting permission from the airline and you can have several, this is why the 20,000 mAh power banks are popular. With airline prior permission you are allowed 1 or 2  X 160Wh batteries.

The limit is in fact 100 Watt Hours and 27K equates to 100Wh at 3.7 volts, are you trying to say there is no way the voltage can vary. At 3.1 volts a device would be within the limit.

It is very relevant if a device is discharged or not, but you would need some understanding of electricity to understand that. A device with no charge cannot be said to be a "spare battery".

I totally accept that there needs to be rules as people doing the job cannot be expected to know any different.

1. Spare batteries in carry-on baggage

1.1   THAI allows spare batteries in carry-on baggage, with battery capacities of less than   20,000 milliamp-hours (mAh) or 100 Wh.

1.2.  Spare batteries with capacities of 20,000-32,000 mAh or 100-160 Wh, passengers can take up to two packs in a carry-on baggage.

1.3.    A spare battery of more than 32,000 mAh or 160 Wh is prohibited in carry-on baggage.

2. A spare battery is prohibited to be loaded in baggage checked-in in all case

https://www.thaiairways.com/ar_AE/news/news_announcement/news_detail/batteries.page

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The limit is in fact 100 Watt Hours and 27K equates to 100Wh at 3.7 volts,

Exactly as my post, though I didn’t check that the airline specifically designates 5 volts as the calculation voltage so 20K is the limit.

are you trying to say there is no way the voltage can vary. At 3.1 volts a device would be within the limit.

The maximum voltage is not variable, neither is the calculation voltage.

The limits are based on the maximum capacity not on the capacity of a semi-discharged unit, so YES your semi-discharged unit at 3.1v would not be permitted 

It is very relevant if a device is discharged or not,

Not to the regulations, it isn’t.

. A device with no charge cannot be said to be a "spare battery".

A useful one NO but it  still has the potential to be one again so YES it IS a spare battery according to the regulations.

but you would need some understanding of electricity to understand that.

From some of your posts it seems that you are very much more confused than I ever am

I totally accept that there needs to be rules as people doing the job cannot be expected to know any different.

From the above argument your acceptance  isn’t as clear as you suggest.

The 100-160 Wh hour limit is generally the same for all airlines BUT it is often a requirement that you get permission for carrying the batteries before the flight 

in fact you seem to have not noticed, even though you posted the link, that the calculation is based on 5v and that even for Thai airlines you are required to notify the check-in staff.

*Calculated from 5V. Effective on 1 January 2015

To carry spare batteries on board, please contact our staff at check-in counter.

IMG_8091.jpeg.58fa6117982d23d7f9b83c0dcb116e1a.jpeg

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thanks 1

There are 

On 12/29/2023 at 3:03 PM, sandyf said:

I explained what had happened and said it was discharged and they let me go with it in the hand luggage.

As far as safety goes charged or discharged makes no difference. Quote from Google.

**Internal Short Circuit**: If the battery has suffered internal damage, it can lead to an internal short circuit. This can generate heat even in an uncharged battery, potentially leading to thermal runaway – a condition where the battery heats up and can catch fire or explode.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/30/2023 at 4:18 PM, Dazinoz said:

There are 

As far as safety goes charged or discharged makes no difference. Quote from Google.

**Internal Short Circuit**: If the battery has suffered internal damage, it can lead to an internal short circuit. This can generate heat even in an uncharged battery, potentially leading to thermal runaway – a condition where the battery heats up and can catch fire or explode.

Further information, the battery will read a discharged when it reaches between 3v & 3.4v it however it still contains a significant amount of power stored so is far from safe and can still create a toasty warm up to 2,500C thermal runaway fire

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/30/2023 at 4:18 PM, Dazinoz said:

There are 

Invalid comment, no reference or context.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Satcommlee said:

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.Ooux7

Not cheap but very very good and within air travel limit. This thing can run a CPAP machine for 2 nights.. and 145W output..

It’s only within the limit if declared to the airline and that depends on the airline rules, some are OK at check-in others require permission before that.

On 12/28/2023 at 10:56 AM, lelapin said:

I am looking to get new power bank for my Iphone13. Any recommendations which one to get and where to buy it.

Go to one of the Japanese shops Moshi or Daiso in a shopping center, they have them inexpensive and good quality.

• Like 1