Thailand wants to see far more US and Canadian tourists as long-haul visitors spend twice as much

webfact

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

In general, Westerners spend more than 95% of the Chinese, Indian, Malaysian, Arab, and Russian tourists that comprise the vast majority of what Thailand is left with after 3 ugly years of the Prayuth Decimation. 

But, they won't come back, for a dozen good reasons. Including the distance. 

This is incorrect information--which you keep posting for a dozen good reasons, which you also always fail to mention.  Arabs are actualy the biggest spenders, at around 80,000 baht each.  USA/Europe is around 69,000-71,000 baht each.  Chinese, around 49,000 baht each. 

Between 2015 and 2019, American tourists actually increased by around 34%, despite the long distance and the Prayuth administration.  That year, Chinese tourists were almost 11 million, spending their 49,000 baht each.  Americans were about 1.6 million, spending their roughly 71,000 baht.  Both the Western and Asian markets are important for a diverse tourist demgraphic.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, newnative said:

This is incorrect information--which you keep posting for a dozen good reasons, which you also always fail to mention.  Arabs are actualy the biggest spenders, at around 80,000 baht each.  USA/Europe is around 69,000-71,000 baht each.  Chinese, around 49,000 baht each. 

Between 2015 and 2019, American tourists actually increased by around 34%, despite the long distance and the Prayuth administration.  That year, Chinese tourists were almost 11 million, spending their 49,000 baht each.  Americans were about 1.6 million, spending their roughly 71,000 baht.  Both the Western and Asian markets are important for a diverse tourist demgraphic.

And since 2019?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, alex8912 said:

I highly doubt it. There was also a non stop Thai air flight from JFK to BKK years ago. They don't make $$ on the seats. They make $$ on what's below the seats in cargo.  You can't have the planes that heavy and have them fly 17 hours non stop.  No other carriers will do a non stop either to BKK it's not business oriented at all.  Just Singapore air does NYC/Newark non stop and they are smart NO ECONOMY seats just premium economy and up. The part about " charted " flights is just stupid.  They don't even know this doesn't even exist from USA or Canada. 

Thai had BKK-LAX (over Pacific) and BKK-JFK (over Atlantic) non-stops for a few years. I loved the nonstop LAX flight, sorry to see it go.

Singapore used to (may still) have a nonstop to Las Vegas that was nice. 

21 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I disagree. Even Canadians (thick as they are eh) can tell. 

And it is pretty easy to distinguish different areas of the US. 

I understand a southern accent easy to spot and the two cities that have the strongest accents are locals from Boston and NYC ( I grew up in Connecticut right in the middle) and maybe a very light Midwest accents but most others sound like people on the news and Canadian news and USA news staff sound exactly the same. I'm not including Ebonics in this. Saying a few ehs doesn't really distinguish Canadians sounding different. I mean Canadians traveling abroad CONSTANTLY and unendingly are assumed to be from the USA. Ask any Canadian! When Canadians and folks from the states meet until they ask each other where they are from can't tell either most times.  They both use the exact same slang as well. So I disagree. Ask people in Seattle and Vancouver they will say the same. Soo the poster who " knew" the shirtless guy out and about in LOUD PATTAYA could NOT hear any difference he's a liar. 

Edited by alex8912
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, alex8912 said:

I understand a southern accent easy to spot and the two cities that have the strongest accents are locals from Boston and NYC ( I grew up in Connecticut right in the middle) and maybe a very light Midwest accents but most others sound like people on the news and Canadian news and USA news staff sound exactly the same. I'm not including Ebonics in this. Saying a few ehs doesn't really distinguish Canadians sounding different. I mean Canadians traveling abroad CONSTANTLY and unendingly are assumed to be from the USA. Ask any Canadian! When Canadians and folks from the states meet until they ask each other where they are from can't tell either most times.  They both use the exact same slang as well. So I disagree. Ask people in Seattle and Vancouver they will say the same. 

I thought you we are talking about Canadians in general, not "Canadians traveling abroad CONSTANTLY". 

You're right. I'll concede that it may be hard to distinguish Canadians that travel abroad CONSTANTLY from US citizens that are not from The Northeast, the Southeast, the Deep South, the Midwest, the Southwest, or any large metropolitan area east of the Rockies. 

We good now? 

Incidentally, I love the way the girls talk in Connecticut...

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Canadian Snowbird said:

Thailand better send some additional help to the Thai Embassy in Ottawa if they are serious about attracting more long haul Canadians. I come for 5.5 months during the winter stretch but the past 2 years it has taken 7 to 8 weeks to get an METV, which is ridiculous. I was so P.O.'d this year with all the BS they require and the length of time they sit on your application before processing, that I've been seriously considering spending my winters elsewhere starting next year. Someone at TAT better clue in the Immigration people that they need to streamline and simplify the visa process if they seriously want to encourage more long haul tourists because the current process is becoming a huge deterrent. 

Are Canadians not visa exempt? 

3 hours ago, Bobthegimp said:

I want some of what you're smoking.

The places you've listed are filthy, corrupt, more expensive than Thailand, and, worst of all, extremely violent.  Try staggering drunk along the beach in any of those countries and see what happens. You'll be relieved of your possessions and end up in the hospital or morgue. 

4 hours ago, Bobthegimp said:

I want some of what you're smoking.

The places you've listed are filthy, corrupt, more expensive than Thailand, and, worst of all, extremely violent.  Try staggering drunk along the beach in any of those countries and see what happens. You'll be relieved of your possessions and end up in the hospital or morgue. 

Try Cuba, world class beaches, super cheap all inclusive packages, even non-package stays are super cheap, food isn't as good as Thailand. Canadians can stay 6 months in Cuba, without paying for a visa. Virtually no guns, drugs or corruption in Cuba. Friendly ladies in all Latin American countries. Lots of islands are very nice too, like Barbados, Puerto Rica, Virgin Islands (both US and British). Costa Rica, Panama are very accommodating for Americans and Canadians. Brazil can be dangerous, but many destinations are safe.

Millions of Canadians winter in southern USA, like Florida, Arizona, etc.

There was a topic on this website that discussed alternatives to Thailand.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, kinyara said:

But they have and are coming back in increasing numbers. in fact in the case of Americans 104,000 of them in November, the largest number since reopening and a level getting close to pre-Covid. Clearly your dislikes as a resident don't apply to shorter term US tourists, I doubt any of them know who Prayuth is or the current Thai PM for that matter.

What you are seeing is fluctuations.  When Thailand first opened people freaked out getting back to their friends and lovers.  Some were locked out because of health concerns, high prices which have actually come down a bit.  Now it's perfectly "safe"to travel and these are coming now.  

There will always be a base for Thailand but until Chinese start coming back the base will be falling.  The real question now is when will the Chinese come back?  Will the improving economy there actually get a foothold and improve or will they flounder, and if so will they vacation?  Or will Indias upper middle class start coming?  Do you see where I"m going with this?

Again, Bali people.  

1 hour ago, Canadian Snowbird said:

Thailand better send some additional help to the Thai Embassy in Ottawa if they are serious about attracting more long haul Canadians. I come for 5.5 months during the winter stretch but the past 2 years it has taken 7 to 8 weeks to get an METV, which is ridiculous. I was so P.O.'d this year with all the BS they require and the length of time they sit on your application before processing, that I've been seriously considering spending my winters elsewhere starting next year. Someone at TAT better clue in the Immigration people that they need to streamline and simplify the visa process if they seriously want to encourage more long haul tourists because the current process is becoming a huge deterrent. 

Currently being a deterrent?  It's always been that way.  

I personally do not see lower airline costs from the USA to BKK. It would be nice for an American carrier like United Airlines to reopen their route from NRT to BKK and make money do to the high costs that Asian carriers are charging. Just saying.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Dan747 said:

I personally do not see lower airline costs from the USA to BKK. It would be nice for an American carrier like United Airlines to reopen their route from NRT to BKK and make money do to the high costs that Asian carriers are charging. Just saying.

The United 787 service was pretty good. 

I do not see prices coming down any time soon. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Blumpie said:

What you are seeing is fluctuations.  When Thailand first opened people freaked out getting back to their friends and lovers.  Some were locked out because of health concerns, high prices which have actually come down a bit.  Now it's perfectly "safe"to travel and these are coming now.  

There will always be a base for Thailand but until Chinese start coming back the base will be falling.  The real question now is when will the Chinese come back?  Will the improving economy there actually get a foothold and improve or will they flounder, and if so will they vacation?  Or will Indias upper middle class start coming?  Do you see where I"m going with this?

Again, Bali people.  

I absolutely see where you're going with it and I totally agree that the real question now is when the Chinese come back to anything approaching previous levels.

I was disagreeing with Spidermike's belief that Western markets including the US are not returning to Thailand to any significant level as previous. The only difference I can see is Asia in general was slower to reopen after Covid, not unique to Thailand and its govt, so are slightly behind the recovery curve. The increase between October and November from the likes of US, UK & Germany was significant which implies to me the recovery is continuing and there will indeed be a Western high season, something again there is scepticism about. Let's see both this month and from January onwards when we have a year or year comparison post reopening.

But yes it is still all about the level of Chinese recovery in 2024 significance wise.

5 hours ago, Canadian Snowbird said:

Thailand better send some additional help to the Thai Embassy in Ottawa if they are serious about attracting more long haul Canadians.

Agree. My application for a SETV took 29 business days for fook's sakes. Meanwhile I was reading about folk from Sweden, the UK and USA getting theirs processed in a few days or even hours.

There seems to be serious paperwork handling issues at the Ottawa embassy. Won't ever apply again. You want tourism, then make it easy TAT!

30 minutes ago, Woke to Sounds of Horking said:

Agree. My application for a SETV took 29 business days for fook's sakes. Meanwhile I was reading about folk from Sweden, the UK and USA getting theirs processed in a few days or even hours.

There seems to be serious paperwork handling issues at the Ottawa embassy. Won't ever apply again. You want tourism, then make it easy TAT!

For some reason, Ottawa Thai Embassy has always been glacially slow.  May have something to do with the weather, or maybe they just send staff who are even less educated than the norm. Or maybe the only staff are the ambassador and his wife....

On the other hand, the Vancouver consulate does at least direct you to the online application process.

http://www.thaiconsulatevancouver.ca/consular-services/

• Haha 1