Jump to content

Chiang Mai: Thai scientists discover edible mushrooms


webfact

Recommended Posts

image.jpeg

 

A team of scientists from the Center of Excellence for Microbial Diversity and Sustainable Utilisation at Chiang Mai University has unveiled two new species of mushrooms— Russula pseudomodesta and Russula sribuabanensis, in northern Thailand.


Led by Dr Nakarin Suwannarat, Dr Jaturong Khamla, Professor Emeritus Dr Saisamorn Lamyong, and Dr Soumitra Paloi, the researchers, in collaboration with Prof Dr Samantha C. Karunarathna from Qujing Normal University in China, delved into the unexplored realms of fungal wonders.

 

Utilising a groundbreaking fusion of morphological and molecular methods, the team cracked the enigmatic code of these mushrooms. Armed with high-performance microscopy and DNA sequencing of key genes, including the RNA polymerase II (RPB2), the internal transcribed spacer (ITS), and the large subunit (LSU), they deciphered the genetic secrets of Russula pseudomodesta and Russula sribuabanensis.


These mushrooms, long part of the local culinary scene, had eluded accurate scientific identification until now. The results of the study not only confirmed their distinctiveness from other known Russula species but also revealed their edibility and a fragrance that sets them apart.

 

by Top

Photo courtesy of KhaoSod English

 

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-12-29

 

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

 

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Utilising a groundbreaking fusion of morphological and molecular methods, the team cracked the enigmatic code of these mushrooms. Armed with high-performance microscopy and DNA sequencing of key genes, including the RNA polymerase II (RPB2), the internal transcribed spacer (ITS), and the large subunit (LSU), they deciphered the genetic secrets of Russula pseudomodesta and Russula sribuabanensis

I dare tyou to spell that again  :stoner:

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, webfact said:

These mushrooms, long part of the local culinary scene, had eluded accurate scientific identification until now. The results of the study not only confirmed their distinctiveness from other known Russula species but also revealed their edibility and a fragrance that sets them apar

will they taste better now?

The headline should have read "Scientists have eventually invented a  new name for a commonly eaten mushroom,"  followed by " previously  known as "het *****? by those who have picked and eaten them for probably hundreds if not thousands of years"

 

just finding the common name seemed to be beyond the scientists and" journalist" alike  i 

 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, BoganInParasite said:

Here's hoping these new edible mushrooms don't need the forest to be burnt to promote their growth. Every year they burn the forest slopes here just for mushrooms.

I think you will find the locals burn it so they can walk through the jungle, I suppose we could employ the USA method and use 2,4,5-T & 2,4 D

 

[Not just mushrooms, bamboo shoots, Pak wan, & many other plants,

Edited by cowellandrew
.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, cowellandrew said:

I think you will find the locals burn it so they can walk through the jungle, I suppose we could employ the USA method and use 2,4,5-T & 2,4 D

 

[Not just mushrooms, bamboo shoots, Pak wan, & many other plants,

Are thise chemicals still in use  in the US?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/28/2023 at 9:04 PM, webfact said:

These mushrooms, long part of the local culinary scene, had eluded accurate scientific identification until now.

so they've been eaten for a long time but the Thai scientists are just now qualifying them? hardly a discovery but go ahead and congratulate yourselves if it makes you feel better

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.









×
×
  • Create New...