What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2024)

Rimmer

On 8/31/2024 at 2:18 PM, xylophone said:

I downloaded and watched a movie which I first saw around 1970 in the UK, called, "Soldier Blue" and back then it was considered very violent, although it graphically portrayed what actually happened, and the song "Soldier Blue" by Buffy Sainte-Marie, got into the UK charts.

The movie still resonated with me and there is no way that I or anyone could condone the wholesale slaughter and massacre of unarmed women and children by the US cavalry. However at the time it was released some American critics labelled it as "anti-American", can you believe, when apart from the actors holding the story together, the slaughter, dismemberment, rape and horrendous use of body parts was true as was recorded at the time.

After the massacre Colonel Chivington declared it a victory that everyone should be proud of, however after some investigation into this horrendous slaughter, the following was stated by the US government: – 

"As to Colonel Chivington, the committee can hardly find fitting terms to describe his conduct. Wearing the uniform of the United States, which should be the emblem of justice and humanity; holding the important position of commander of a military district, and therefore having the honor of the government to that extent in his keeping, he deliberately planned and executed a foul and dastardly massacre which would have disgraced the veriest savage among those who were the victims of his cruelty".

After the actual details of the massacre became widely known, the United States federal government sent a blue ribbon commission whose members were respected by the Indians, and the Treaty of the Little Arkansas[69] was signed in 1865. It promised the Indians free access to the lands south of the Arkansas River, excluded them from the Arkansas River north to the Platte River, and promised land and cash reparations to the surviving descendants of Sand Creek victims.

However, the treaty was abrogated by Washington less than two years later, all major provisions were ignored, and instead, the Medicine Lodge Treaty reduced the reservation lands by 90 percent, located in much less desirable sites in Oklahoma.

Later government actions further reduced the size of the reservations!!!!!

Buffy has been proven beyond doubt to be a total fraud, she has no native ancestry at all. She threatened to accuse her brother of sexual assault if he mentioned her lying about it.

Edited by proton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Managed to get most of  Silent Witness series back as far as series 11  2007. they are all mostly very good

Gave up series two of Lord of the rings  Someone threw a lot of money at this show, but to me its disjointed, incomprehensible and boring.

Quite enjoying The Brothers Sun, reminds me a little of Hotel Cocaine

Sticking with and quietly enjoying  Signora Volpe the plots are slow but the scenery and atmosphere is magnificent  similar show is Riviera

Watched the first series of Code37 again, light hearted Belgium police show, series two is heavy and serious no where near such good fun as series one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, proton said:

Buffy has been proven beyond doubt to be a total fraud, she has no native ancestry at all. She threatened to accuse her brother of sexual assault if he mentioned her lying about it.

Well, if that's what you're focusing on, then you totally missed the point of the film because it wasn't about Buffy Saint Marie, it was about the Sand Creek Massacre by Colonel Chivington and his men – – women and children slaughtered, raped and mutilated, with many body parts removed.

A sad chapter in American history and nothing whatsoever to do with Buffy Saint Marie.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

Well, if that's what you're focusing on, then you totally missed the point of the film because it wasn't about Buffy Saint Marie, it was about the Sand Creek Massacre by Colonel Chivington and his men – – women and children slaughtered, raped and mutilated, with many body parts removed.

A sad chapter in American history and nothing whatsoever to do with Buffy Saint Marie.

Saw it when it came out, over hyped and not as bad as the other massacres Lincoln presided over or the trail of tears. Wounded knee saw hundreds killed, sand-creak only 25, which is probably why they chose to tell this story rather than other far worse atrocities committed by Union forces.

• Confused 3

40 minutes ago, proton said:

sand-creak only 25,

25?????

On November 29th, 1864, while John Evans was governor of Colorado and territorial superintendent of Indian Affairs, a Cheyenne and Arapaho village along Sand Creek in the Colorado Territory was attacked by United States soldiers. Around 200 Cheyenne and Arapaho people were killed, most of them women, children and elders.

The Sand Creek Massacre remains one of the worst atrocities committed by US soldiers in history and remains in the recent memory of Cheyenne and Arapaho people. 

https://www.northwestern.edu/native-american-and-indigenous-peoples/about/sand-creek.html

Also......"at around 6:30, the soldiers would open fire amongst the lodges of the innocent and unaware Arapaho and Cheyenne civilians. Over the course of eight hours the American troops killed around 230 Cheyenne and Arapaho people composed mostly of women, children, and the elderly. During the afternoon and following day, the soldiers wandered over the field committing atrocities on the dead before departing the scene on December 1st".

You seem a little light on facts........probably skewed to fit in with your political leanings?

Edited by xylophone
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, John Drake said:

After Bob Newhart died about six weeks ago, I decided to watch Newhart, as I had never seen a single episode. Finished going through it a few days ago. It's really low brow stuff. Disappointing. The three woodsmen, Larry, Darryl, and the other Darryl, is just outright stupid. Bad ensemble acting. At the end Bob looked like he had decided to check out early. Such a contrast to Newhart's earliere series, The Bob Newhart Show, which I've also been rewatching. I enjoyed it at its first run and it's still funny today. Sophisticated, understated humor, with hyperactive characters being barely under control. One of the best ensembles in TV history, with the psych patients. Howard Borden does wear thin, but the rest never do so.

My favorite line in the "The Bob Newhart Show", was: "Sit Whitey!" Do you remember the episode? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Gave up series two of Lord of the rings  Someone threw a lot of money at this show, but to me its disjointed, incomprehensible and boring.

they had a year break between seasons. maybe watch season 1 again. it took me a while to remember the story and catch up... but it is good... maybe just not your spec

20 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Normally saitre but in this case seems substantially true:

Amazon Prime subscribers can now "enjoy" the new big-budget television series The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power, delivered straight to their favorite streaming device. The show is the icing on the cake of junk that Amazon is currently sending to people's homes every day. . . .

According to sources, Amazon is banking on the show being a huge hit if for no other reason than morbid curiosity. "It's all but guaranteed," said Amazon CEO Andy Jassy. "The final product doesn't ultimately matter. All that matters is that you consume."

--Amazon Delivers Another Pile Of Unwanted Crap To Your House

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Not on PB or 1337X.

There's already a dozen or so reencodes on scene-rls of the first episode so it won't be long. Episode 2 is also supposed to be out today but it's not there yet.

Dunno what happened with van der valk s4. Hasn't been reencoded yet. I downloaded it from scene-rls and still find it the best of that type, 90 minutes, single story per episode, compared to Vera or the AU one, The Brokenwood Mysteries.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, gargamon said:

There's already a dozen or so reencodes on scene-rls of the first episode so it won't be long. Episode 2 is also supposed to be out today but it's not there yet.

Dunno what happened with van der valk s4. Hasn't been reencoded yet. I downloaded it from scene-rls and still find it the best of that type, 90 minutes, single story per episode, compared to Vera or the AU one, The Brokenwood Mysteries.

Might be best if you advise when it's downloaded to a torrent site or say that it's on scene-rls so shouldn't be long to get on the torrent sites.

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

Might be best if you advise when it's downloaded to a torrent site or say that it's on scene-rls so shouldn't be long to get on the torrent sites.

Yeah. There's one on 1337x now.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Will27 said:

New one from the Beeb.

Cathy encounters Michael, her brother's murderer. She stalks and harasses him, bent on revenge despite his reformed life.

Her obsession escalates as she psychologically torments him, blurring fantasy and reality in her quest for vengeance.

Thanks for the heads up @Will27. Looks like it might be good. I'll have a look at Dead & Buried.

It's on 1337x, kickass, limetorrents, TPB & TheRARBG.

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/3/2024 at 6:56 PM, Pouatchee said:

they had a year break between seasons. maybe watch season 1 again. it took me a while to remember the story and catch up... but it is good... maybe just not your spec

Unfortunately, season 1 wasn't very good either. I'm skipping season 2