Thailand’s tourism operators question 40 million visitors target

webfact

CNN posted this... A logical way to increase tourism and income from foreigners... ATTRACTION... Maybe, be more encouraging to long-stay expats!! Making our life easier with getting visas; re-entry, reporting, and DROP the tax idea :)

"Indonesia’s Minister for Tourism and Creative Economies, Sandiaga Uno, stressed the need to shift to more sustainable tourism models, as well as attracting visitors who “stay longer and spend on the larger local economy.” 

I am sure this will bring the "Monty Python" crowd out with their ROCKS :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

yesterday don muang airport  at afternoon empty , same 4.12 and 10.12

much less flights than  bfr covid

pattaya quiet except soi bokau area ,more and more shops closing

i thnk 75% less russians and chinese than bfr covid , 50% less indians and 30% less westeners

....i dont think its everywhere in thai ,but clear is heavy downfall in tourism , and i dont think a recovery in sight

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It is so easy to call numbers... but as said many times, Thailand has nothing to offer anymore after they ruined their tourist industry. Things that should change are the alcohol sales hours, allow vaping, stop double standards, be friendly, don't be chased by the RTP, while the locals are free to do as they like.. Make visa extensions easier, stop with the 90 days reporting, be welcoming... and it will take years to get the tourists back... In the past backpackers came here to work, and spend their earned money in the local economy, but the Government made visa difficult , working without permit because of outdated laws, and punishments and fines etc... Break down everything and than cry... 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The government’s ambitious target of attracting 40 million foreign visitors is viewed as daunting by Thailand tourism operators, considering factors such as high travel costs, diminished demand in big markets such as China and Russia, and competition from surrounding nations.

The Russian invasion is over, those who wished to escape the front line are already here, only the usual numbers of travelers will come this year.. 

China is in deep trouble with domestic issues, and those with money are going elsewhere, where there are more attractions and less danger.

Same for India, those numbers will remain much the same as last year.

I don't think there will be a dramatic rise in tourists this year over 2023.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

The Russian invasion is over, those who wished to escape the front line are already here, only the usual numbers of travelers will come this year.. 

China is in deep trouble with domestic issues, and those with money are going elsewhere, where there are more attractions and less danger.

Same for India, those numbers will remain much the same as last year.

I don't think there will be a dramatic rise in tourists this year over 2023.

Wow, straight from CNN.  

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

It is so easy to call numbers... but as said many times, Thailand has nothing to offer anymore after they ruined their tourist industry. Things that should change are the alcohol sales hours, allow vaping, stop double standards, be friendly, don't be chased by the RTP, while the locals are free to do as they like.. Make visa extensions easier, stop with the 90 days reporting, be welcoming... and it will take years to get the tourists back... In the past backpackers came here to work, and spend their earned money in the local economy, but the Government made visa difficult , working without permit because of outdated laws, and punishments and fines etc... Break down everything and than cry... 

We definitely need more hours for people to get even drunker, noisier, and in some cases, violent! This would really help in giving foreigners an even worse reputation for being We definitely need more hours for people to get even drunker, noisier, and in some cases, violent! This would really help in giving foreigners an even worse reputation for being ass***** when they're drunk.

Edited by Jonpail
  • Haha 1

Don't really understand the comments about Russian tourism declining, it's one of the few major markets that in 2023 has returned to 2019 levels, 1.48 million in both years. 

I read elsewhere TAT are actually forecasting 35 million dependent on an increase in the China number from 3.5 million to 8.5 million, leaving a 10% increase in non-Chinese from the 80% of 2019 level achieved in 2023. Should be fairly easy to see if that's realistic based on the Chinese numbers after the first 3 months of the year. 

40 million is totally unrealistic in my opinion but I'm not actually clear who came out with that.

On 1/5/2024 at 1:19 PM, hotchilli said:

Totally unscientific evidence, but I tend to agree.  I live in a residential area of Phuket and last year at this time many new Russian families moved into the area.  There was sort of a frantic pace about it. Now it's quiet and only the same families are here, not new ones. The Villa market was trashed every day and stripped, and the beer cooler was cleaned out every day by the Russians.  Now, during peak season, everything is quiet at the market and  things are civilized.  Just the normal flow of tourists.   The only places that are crowded are the streets and traffic, and most of those are Thais driving crazy and idiot tourists on motorbikes and big bikes.  Can't wait until "high season" is over.  I think after Chinese New Year, it will be almost back to normal and quieter, in my humble opinion.  

Edited by LivingNThailand
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2024 at 9:52 AM, lapamita said:

yesterday don muang airport  at afternoon empty , same 4.12 and 10.12

much less flights than  bfr covid

pattaya quiet except soi bokau area ,more and more shops closing

i thnk 75% less russians and chinese than bfr covid , 50% less indians and 30% less westeners

....i dont think its everywhere in thai ,but clear is heavy downfall in tourism , and i dont think a recovery in sight

One of the more false observations of Pattaya currently.  If shops are closing, 2 more are opening.  Many areas are jammed, traffic worse then ever. Walking street, new bar areas, new restaurants and shops everywhere.  Beach Road most afternoons is like a parking lot cars backed up. Jomtien is crowded. Busier then before Covid.

https://www.travelweekly-asia.com/Destination-Travel/The-worlds-most-overcrowded-tourist-destinationsĹ

It is 2 in all of Asia for overcrowded.