Would you buy a BYD EV?

2 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Sadly, you will need an open mind to watch this video.

I have a very open mind. Though a very closed narrow mind of supporting the CCP by any measure.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Bassosa said:

Yes I would buy a BYD.

I recently found out that similar irrational sentiments were prevalent in the 70s when the Japanese car manufacturers took over. Japanese cars were said to be no good, yet turned out to be better value, better quality than what the legacy US car makers could produce.

I think something similar is going on here with EVs from China in particular. Fear of the unknown, from a group who by and large are older than average and therefore resistant to change.

My father was highly resistant to buying a Japanese car in the 1970s. But then he had served in WW2 and we had a good family friend who spent 3 years in a Japanese POW camp. In his case it wasn't resistance to change: he just didn't feel comfortable buying Japanese. That did change.

I bought a BYD. With some misgivings about its Chinese origins, which I still have. The Chinese state is not a benign actor. It/the CCP is also very competent at indirect influence through channels such as funding of foreign-language media outlets, funding of academic institutions and posts etc. 

Personally I don't think anyone serving in a sensitive government or private sector role should buy a Chinese made car, whether EV or ICE, given the connectivity modern vehicles now have. Of course the electronics on any modern vehicle can be a vulnerability, but why make it any easier?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I would buy an EV if most of my travel was around town. For long trips, I would prefer an ICE due to range uncertainty, and the possibility of a breakdown. Not many EV mechanics out in the boondocks.

I am not sure insurance premiums for EV's will stay comparable with ICE's, because the consequential damage they can cause in the event of a fire is considerable.

There is also the fact any battery damage in an accident means the vehicle has to be scrapped.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I would buy an EV if most of my travel was around town. For long trips, I would prefer an ICE due to range uncertainty, and the possibility of a breakdown. Not many EV mechanics out in the boondocks.

I am not sure insurance premiums for EV's will stay comparable with ICE's, because the consequential damage they can cause in the event of a fire is considerable.

There is also the fact any battery damage in an accident means the vehicle has to be scrapped.

10 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

A couple of points, and I may well be wrong but here goes.

1. I don't remember ever having an ICE vehicle with a range of 500 Km like the BYD Atto 3 and many other EVs.

2. It's true but they will come. Just as farriers became tire fitters way back when. Most of the moving parts that are prone to breakdown are the same anyway.

3. I think that if any accident caused such frame distortion as to damage the battery, any car would be a write off.

I think that ICE’s are still superior to EVs in term of range on a full tank/charge. In order to eke the full range out of an EV, you have to drive it gingerly whereas with an ICE, increasing the speed from 90 to 120 does not result in such a drastic drop in range. I think this is because an ICE is already inefficient to start with.

I think that ICEs are more prone to breakdowns just simply because there are more moving parts and therefore more areas where things can go wrong. An electric motor is a very simple device.

Accidents are common place in Thailand but in my opinion, they happen mostly to incompetent and irresponsible drivers. I consider myself a safe and defensive driver, able to identify hazards fairly quickly and take evasive action if necessary. Driven hundreds of thousands of kms in Thailand alone and have not been in any close calls. Furthermore if most of one’s driving is in the city and urban areas, any accident is more likely to be a fender bender than a write-off.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

1. I don't remember ever having an ICE vehicle with a range of 500 Km like the BYD Atto 3 and many other EVs.

2. It's true but they will come. Just as farriers became tire fitters way back when. Most of the moving parts that are prone to breakdown are the same anyway.

3. I think that if any accident caused such frame distortion as to damage the battery, any car would be a write off.

The range on my Vios is about 600 km. My point really is it's much easier to refuel an ICE than an EV in isolated areas.

Yes, they will come. I see no reason to be a lab rat in the interim.

EV's vary in quality of construction. Apparently there is one EV where the battery cover is also the floor of the vehicle.

I understand big repair shops have equipment for straightening a chassis, although the same may not apply to monocoque bodies.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

My 4-cyl 2000 model Chevy S-10 pickup had a (converting to funky metrical numbers) 75-liter fuel tank with a driving range well over 500 km.  I would expect fuel efficiency has progressed somewhat over the past quarter century.

I'm not a fan of EV at the moment preferring to wait and see and too wait until the prices tumble as they do with all new technologies where there is intense competition. For the moment I think it is a hoax on mankind, a cop out on the hard decisions that need to be made about climate change (assuming climate change is not a hoax as well, and I thin the jury is out on that as well), and of course it affords a great opportunity for governments to reward their friends and donors by subsidising billionaires with tax payer's money.

Also, I note that in the US and UK, EVs lost market share marginally last year, despite a rising car market and despite actually selling more cars that the year before, which is sending a shiver up the analysts who have been forecasting everlasting EV growth well into eternity. Losing market share this early in the products life cycle in key markets must be a worry, and whether it reflects dissatisfaction with EVs by previous purchasers or not, was not covered in the reports.

Having said that, if I were to buy an EV, BYD would be my choice of EV. The reason is that, unlike most people I read on ASEAN NOW forums, I am not anti-China. Indeed I am pro-China. 

I think that the BYD small SUV (the one that looks like a Porshe Cayenne from the back) is to my mind, by far and away the most stylish of all EV vehicles. Teslas look out of proportion to my eye (too tall and not wide enough, at least the one's I've seen on the roads here), and they have an incredibly poor record of owner complaints (at least the data I have seen for the US, I have seen none for Thailand) and I'm sure the servicing of manufacturing defects in Thailand is poor quality.

The other climate saving vehicle I would consider is a Hybrid from Toyota. I rented a Hybrid in the UK for a a few months when I was there.....it got 80 mpg, which astonished me. I doubt running costs of EVs would be lower that that of a hybrid, given the extricate price of electricity here,  but doubtless there are some cheerleaders on here would tell me I am wrong.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Accidents are common place in Thailand but in my opinion, they happen mostly to incompetent and irresponsible drivers. I consider myself a safe and defensive driver, able to identify hazards fairly quickly and take evasive action if necessary. Driven hundreds of thousands of kms in Thailand alone and have not been in any close calls. Furthermore if most of one’s driving is in the city and urban areas, any accident is more likely to be a fender bender than a write-off.

City / urban use often includes expressway driving, where speeds are much higher. You can be the safest and most defensive driver around but if the guy behind you is half asleep and doesn't see that there's a queue at the off-ramp, and the cars ahead are slowing to a stop ...

Speaking after some dozy tw@t rear-ended my Atto a week ago in the circumstances above. That however resulted in ATTO - 1: Innova - 0; his car cracked its radiator. The bulbous rear end of the Atto is probably a good thing. It took a beating but - fingers crossed - it's just panel damage. Car still drives fine and not throwing any warning messages etc.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, retarius said:

I wonder what the Chinese have actually done to you? Physically or economically? Or is your attitude based on all the western propaganda you have imbibed to prepare for the inevitable war with them and the US?

My attitude is based on substantive professional experience of how the Chinese State operates.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

My attitude is based on substantive professional experience of how the Chinese State operates.  

And what way is that.....don't tell us all you were in Uighur camp building BYDs. Tell guys what this substantive experience is or shut up. 

• Thumbs Up 2

19 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

City / urban use often includes expressway driving, where speeds are much higher. You can be the safest and most defensive driver around but if the guy behind you is half asleep and doesn't see that there's a queue at the off-ramp, and the cars ahead are slowing to a stop ...

Speaking after some dozy tw@t rear-ended my Atto a week ago in the circumstances above. That however resulted in ATTO - 1: Innova - 0; his car cracked its radiator. The bulbous rear end of the Atto is probably a good thing. It took a beating but - fingers crossed - it's just panel damage. Car still drives fine and not throwing any warning messages etc.

Yes, without doubt, there are instances where there is absolutely nothing you can do like when you are stopped at the lights and someone rear ends you. But these are very rare events when you consider how many cars are stopped at a traffic light at any given moment in time.

This is another good reason to own an EV. A lot of them come with safety features to apply emergency braking in such situations. Possibly, if that dozy <deleted> had an EV, he/she might not have hit your car.

• Thumbs Up 1