Sugar Shortage in Thailand

Seppius

Stopped by Lotus yesterday and noticed sugar was limited to one each per person, and that was brown sugar, there was no white sugar

Found this from a few weeks ago

Thailand is the third-largest sugar exporter but even their supply is reduced due to severe drought. “As dryness is expected to expand in both countries during the next few months due to El Niño, the global sugar market remains vulnerable to fluctuations in supply and price in the coming months,” Davis continues.1 Dec 2023

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, loong said:

I always assumed that sugar is used during the brewing process. Ie. yeast consumes sugar and produces alcohol.

Of course, my assumption could be wrong.

The sugar comes from the barley, or grapes in the case of wine.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, UWEB said:

There is no Sugar in my Beer.

Interestingly, light beers are often those with higher sugar, and low alcohol beers can also be quite sugary, as the sugar produced in the malting process is hardly converted by the yeast. However, in regular beers, the amount of sugar is typically less than 2 grams per litre, or less than 1 gram per pint.

21 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

bad news for food and drink prices most likely

For long time I drink now sugar-free coca-cola so I don't miss it, I have also been drinking my coffee for years without sugar.

22 minutes ago, ignore it said:

I find there is a chronic shortage of lemon juice in Thailand.

in our backyard a field full of lemons, no shortage here, and I drink it daily with  water.

IMG_6643.jpeg

Edited by Peterphuket
photo a
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

For long time I drink now sugar-free coca-cola so I don't miss it, I have also been drinking my coffee for years without sugar.

i add sugar to coca cola these days as sugars been reduced down to 5%, only drink it when out cycling

• Confused 4

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Severe drought?

Shortage in sugar?

Sounds strange to me suffering from the endless queues behind the huge sugar cane trucks.

Many passing along the house.

If there is shortage of sugar I assume it's more from the fact that it ends as ethanol for fuel.

Bought sugar about 10 days ago and no sign of shortage. Must be new.

Can remember a report in the newspaper for some time that vanilla ice cream was going to be more expensive due to shortage of vanilla, but it was only done to drive up the price namely, in 95% of vanilla ice cream is artificial vanilla added.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Luuk Chaai said:

Interestingly, light beers are often those with higher sugar, and low alcohol beers can also be quite sugary, as the sugar produced in the malting process is hardly converted by the yeast. However, in regular beers, the amount of sugar is typically less than 2 grams per litre, or less than 1 gram per pint.

But that's Sugar from the brewing Process, I was talking about added Sugar like you can find in a lot of Drinks and Street Food here in Thailand.

• Confused 2

Here in Isan farmers seem to be planting less and less sugar cane every year. Many grow cassava (export crop for cattle feed) which has a steady demand and stable price.

Having said that, any shortages in Thailand will be due to refiners getting a better price overseas. Some Asian countries have stopped sugar exports to keep domestic markets supplied (undesirable from the producers perspective since they effectively get a lower price leading to even less cane being grown in the subsequent year).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

"Coke Zero is sugar-free. However, the sugar substitutes it contains may not necessarily be a healthier option for people looking to reduce their risk of diabetes. A 14-year study in 66,118 women observed an association between drinking artificially sweetened beverages and an increased risk of type 2 diabetes "

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/is-coke-zero-bad-for-you#nutrition

3 hours ago, UWEB said:

But that's Sugar from the brewing Process, I was talking about added Sugar like you can find in a lot of Drinks and Street Food here in Thailand.

think about it ..    that would be the Thai equal to  U.S. Red Neck  Sweet Tea

9 hours ago, loong said:

I always assumed that sugar is used during the brewing process.

Sugars are part of the brewing process, but you only add refined sugar if you want to increase the alcohol content over the amount naturally occurring or you are making a beer adjacent product, certain Anheuser-Busch offerings may qualify ;) 

5 hours ago, Luuk Chaai said:

Interestingly, light beers are often those with higher sugar, and low alcohol beers can also be quite sugary, as the sugar produced in the malting process is hardly converted by the yeast.

That will be because the brewmaster stopped the fermentation.

With my beer I always brewed until the sugars were all gone even if I was producing a high alcohol (12%+) beer, I  needed to add ½ a teaspoon of sugar per quart for the carbonation fermentation.

17 hours ago, loong said:

I always assumed that sugar is used during the brewing process. Ie. yeast consumes sugar and produces alcohol.

Of course, my assumption could be wrong.

When I used to brew my own beer back in the early 1970's the recipe included sugar. (Home brew kits).

The beer was rubbish but it was all that I could afford having just got married. It was drinkable but I would not give it to guests.

On 1/5/2024 at 12:09 PM, novacova said:

This is great, I hope there’s a major sugar depletion, maybe the food vendors will stop lacing the food with it.

wait you actually eat khao phad diesel ?