Using Bolt with a foreign credit card

JackGats

I've had a minor hassle with Bolt. Whenever I used Bolt in Thailand in the past I paid cash and hadn't any credit card registered as "payment method". Last month however I was in Portugal where Bolt required a credit card. Bolt worked smoothly with my credit card in Portugal.

After landing in Thailand I forgot to reset the Bolt payment method to "cash" so when my first ride in Pattaya ended, the Bolt app said "ok, paid". However at the very same time my bank app generated a push notification to the tune of "Bolt 85 Baht payment rejected". For three days on end I got the same notification over and over from my bank app! Bolt was apparently trying to book the 85 Baht, to no avail.

After some messaging with the Bolt support they recommended I delete the credit card, then register it again. I did so and Bolt successfully booked a token amount of 0.03 euros from my card. After that I successfully paid off my 85-Baht "Bolt balance".

Now I'm in two minds as to whether to leave the credit card for payment in the Bolt app. It would be nice if I could go cashless with Bolt in Thailand, but will not the next ride end up in the same "payment rejected" charade? Any experiences with foreign credit card to pay for Bolt? Do you first transfer an amount ("Bolt balance") into the Bolt app to be tapped as you go or do you wait for the app to book each ride independently ?

Edited by JackGats
syntax
  • Confused 2

Having all these micro transactions on your statement is a real pain when it comes to visa time, depending on your visa type. My paperwork for visa extension is now about an inch thick because I use Grab twice a day, every day via my local debit card.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Jeez, I would not think of doing it. Generally avoid using my foreign CC in Thailand as it often works out uneconomical. I have a Thai CC but still stick with cash here for Bolt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Woof999 said:

Having all these micro transactions on your statement is a real pain when it comes to visa time, depending on your visa type. My paperwork for visa extension is now about an inch thick because I use Grab twice a day, every day via my local debit card.

I see. Savings book getting filled in no time.

Note that Bolt offers the option of transferring a lump sum as "Bolt credit" (or "Bolt balance"). Then individual rides are subtracted from that. This is a way to limit the number of transactions on the bank account.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Woof999 said:

Why don't you open a second account for everyday transactions? I keep my 800k in Bangkok Bank, with a few thousand baht surplus for buying stuff on Lazada, topped up once a month so there's always some activity on the account, and have a KBank account for Grab and the rest of my spending. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JackGats said:

Note that Bolt offers the option of transferring a lump sum as "Bolt credit" (or "Bolt balance"). Then individual rides are subtracted from that. This is a way to limit the number of transactions on the bank account.

They do but when I went to try and top it up (balance is ฿0) I see a message "Unfortunately, you cant currently top up Bolt balance in your location if you have zero or positive balance".  I have a card attached to the account but would prefer to use the balance if is was a working option.  "but we're working on it", the message goes on to say.

1 minute ago, Upnotover said:

They do but when I went to try and top it up (balance is ฿0) I see a message "Unfortunately, you cant currently top up Bolt balance in your location if you have zero or positive balance".  I have a card attached to the account but would prefer to use the balance if is was a working option.  "but we're working on it", the message goes on to say.

So it would seem negative balances work, positive ones don't. That's  daft.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, natway09 said:

I really can not understand anyone using a debit/credit card for any kind of payment under 400 Bht.

Stick some cash in ur pocket

I can certainly see and appreciate 'tap and go' type convenience, to pay for a grab/bolt...... but would hate to see the removal of the cash option, like Uber, UK did once. Very inconvenient when I returned there and needed a cab from the railway station. I would use a separate account from my retirement fund, One that has less in it and I top up as needed. I already cover utility bills that way. 

19 hours ago, natway09 said:

I really can not understand anyone using a debit/credit card for any kind of payment under 400 Bht.

Bizarre I entirely agree

On 1/6/2024 at 12:13 PM, JackGats said:

Just don't update the book... then, when you do, it is simply a consolidated single line. I know some need this for the 800k proof to immigration, re retirement extension,  but for my last one I had to provide a statement showing the last six months anyhow. I also keep that 800k in a Fixed deposit, isolated from my day to day little transactions....  for fear of going under requirements!

So Bolt want folks to give a free lump sum for them to keep, to go with the many others, True money, Lazada, AIS...... all playing banker. !

Edited by jacko45k

On 1/6/2024 at 9:52 PM, natway09 said:

It makes life easy.  Car/bike arrives, already knows where you are going, get in/on, arrive, get out/off.  No change issues, no physical actions required at all.  Use a card with a low transaction limit and its secure enough, no less so than a pocket of cash.

I have an update and this time lesson learnt! I wanted to give cashless a further try but today the Bolt driver said after the ride had started that he didn't accept cashless payment.  I cancelled the ride (so that at least he wouldn't get paid twice) and paid him cash. Bolt will refund the card booking, but I'm done with trying to ride cashless in Thailand.

I think it would be for Bolt to put pressure on drivers or provide them with an incentive.

On 1/6/2024 at 9:52 PM, natway09 said:

Why not? And it's not "some cash", it's the mountain of 1 & 2 Baht and satang coins that quickly accumulate.

btw, it's now possible to pay almost everything by PromptPay aka "scan". Not to mention that many shops are now explicity cashless.

10 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

Why not? And it's not "some cash", it's the mountain of 1 & 2 Baht and satang coins that quickly accumulate.

btw, it's now possible to pay almost everything by PromptPay aka "scan". Not to mention that many shops are now explicity cashless.

There are cashless shops in Thailand? Never seen one in Pattaya. Where are they?

13 hours ago, Trippy said:

There are cashless shops in Thailand? Never seen one in Pattaya. Where are they?

Would seem to be something the food courts could make use of... the stupidity of queuing 3 times for a single item has always deterred me,