Thailand moves to ban recreational cannabis use, 18 months after historic decriminalization

webfact

I have not read all the comments on this thread. Am not a user but had no issue with those that do apart from the inconsiderate people who did smoke in public venues which has always been illegal.

BUT the person responsible for this total fiasco is Anutin who made cannabis legal but never put the necessary legislation in place for the use of.

This is no real surprise highlighted by his incompetence as Health Minister and again in his present ministerial position.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

So at first this government blesses Canibis, encouraging thousands of people to invest and start businesses and now they are going to cause tens of thousands of people to become unemployed and make the owners lose their businesses. This is ridiculous. Make up your minds guys. People's lives are depending on it!

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

• Covers content
  • Not interested
  • Inappropriate
  • Seen too often

ADBRO is the full service ad network for high impact contextual advertising with direct access to the exclusive in-image inventories across major local publishers.

We provide free creative adaptation into rich media, interactive and playable ads formats. Campaigns in our channel are delivered under guaranteed prices for actions with programmatic & managed delivery. We provide contextually segmented in-target audiences for over 60 industries with a full range of brand safety solutions.

ADBRO operates across SE Asia, including Singapore, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines and Malaysia.

To test our channel for your advertising campaigns or consider partnership programs for publishers, please contact us at www.adbro.me

CNN — Thailand’s new government is moving ahead to pass new legisalation banning cannabis for recreational use in a major reversal 18 months after the country became the first in Asia to decriminalize the plant.

The relaxed laws saw a lucrative cannabis industry catering to locals and foreigners alike boom across the Southeast Asian nation, but a new conservative coalition government came to power late last year vowing to tighten the rules and only allow medical use.

A draft bill was released on Tuesday by Thailand’s health ministry outlining hefty fines or prison sentences of up to one year for offenders – or both.

Cannabis and cannabis-related products will be limited to medical and health purposes only, the bill states, echoing Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin’s pledge in September that his new government will “rectify” laws on cannabis within the next six months.

Smoking marijuana in public remained illegal even under the relaxed laws, but the proposed new laws will ban advertising and marketing campaigns for cannabis buds and extracts, and other cannabis products.

By Heather Chen and Kocha Olarn, CNN

Top picture: File photo for reference only

Full story: CNN 2024-01-11

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Covers content
  • Not interested
  • Inappropriate
  • Seen too often

ADBRO is the full service ad network for high impact contextual advertising with direct access to the exclusive in-image inventories across major local publishers.

We provide free creative adaptation into rich media, interactive and playable ads formats. Campaigns in our channel are delivered under guaranteed prices for actions with programmatic & managed delivery. We provide contextually segmented in-target audiences for over 60 industries with a full range of brand safety solutions.

ADBRO operates across SE Asia, including Singapore, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines and Malaysia.

To test our channel for your advertising campaigns or consider partnership programs for publishers, please contact us at www.adbro.me

CNN — Thailand’s new government is moving ahead to pass new legisalation banning cannabis for recreational use in a major reversal 18 months after the country became the first in Asia to decriminalize the plant.

The relaxed laws saw a lucrative cannabis industry catering to locals and foreigners alike boom across the Southeast Asian nation, but a new conservative coalition government came to power late last year vowing to tighten the rules and only allow medical use.

A draft bill was released on Tuesday by Thailand’s health ministry outlining hefty fines or prison sentences of up to one year for offenders – or both.

Cannabis and cannabis-related products will be limited to medical and health purposes only, the bill states, echoing Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin’s pledge in September that his new government will “rectify” laws on cannabis within the next six months.

Smoking marijuana in public remained illegal even under the relaxed laws, but the proposed new laws will ban advertising and marketing campaigns for cannabis buds and extracts, and other cannabis products.

By Heather Chen and Kocha Olarn, CNN

Top picture: File photo for reference only

Full story: CNN 2024-01-11

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

First of all this is the Clinton News network in the United States of Biden.

I put about as much weight behind them reporting as I would the guardian, Fox news or CBC.

I think Stoner for once may have seen through the haze..

The one joke is that they say the NEW conservative government is pushing this. Lol it is the same monkeys as put this as open season.

32 minutes ago, stoner said:

i have made it clear that i have been heavily involved in cannabis for quite some time here in thailand. what a ride it has been. conspiracy. betrayal. stocks. buy outs. really we might write a book one day to tell all...after i leave thailand so i can't be sued.

all necessary paperwork licenses and documents for my company if you must know. message me if you would like to know more :)

why the quotations for stoner. like am i a government plant or a paid poster or something. that would be so awesome.

i have earned level 5 on the stoner hierarchy.  many a man thought they were champ until they smoked one of my personal joints. hahahah

Yawn..'bakabumfuk'will really miss your contribution! 

• Confused 3

Before the election most of the posters here vilified the previous government. They hailed "the will of the people". Well there you are folks. The will of the people: taxes on our pensions, cannabis recriminalised ... what next?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, stoner said:

i have made it clear that i have been heavily involved in cannabis for quite some time here in thailand. what a ride it has been. conspiracy. betrayal. stocks. buy outs. really we might write a book one day to tell all...after i leave thailand so i can't be sued.

all necessary paperwork licenses and documents for my company if you must know. message me if you would like to know more :)

why the quotations for stoner. like am i a government plant or a paid poster or something. that would be so awesome.

i have earned level 5 on the stoner hierarchy.  many a man thought they were champ until they smoked one of my personal joints. hahahah

u must be russkie

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

How so? I have not yet seen all these wonderful benefits after 18 months. It has no impact on tourism, and most of the  weed shops I see are empty and dying on their feet. Surely the growers are not doing well with so limited a market... so much so that they resort to smuggling to other countries. If the best argument you have is to simply insult those who oppose, you must have a limited platform. 

The main reason is that most people are smart enough not to let their brain to be kidnapped by THC. So most of the customers are the usual potheads! 

• Confused 2

9 hours ago, stoner said:

BP updated on this yesterday. the headline in the BP says....draft bill on cannabis not finished says cholnan. what was forwarded was the health ministries views on the subject. 

then he goes on to state it is his firm belief that cannabis should be used strictly as medical. HIS VIEWS is the key phrase here. 

a khao san road business rep went on to say that it possibly generates 20 to 30 mb alone for khao san road per month. multiply that throughout the countries tourist areas and you have a large sum of money.

VERY large. 

30 seconds of fame to show his latest Mia noi that he has the ear of the press.

49 minutes ago, Charlest1971 said:

Have you noticed how all the pot head zombies, on this feed, take offence immediately, when someone criticizes the legalisation of Cannabis.
We suddenly get called alcoholics, for some reason? I don’t even bl00dy drink booze, but I do know quite a few friends, who are showing signs of deep paranoia, because of smoking very strong weed, for many years. 

Weed does become an addiction to many people. Sorry potheads, truth must be told. 

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

This coming from a govt which came into power in a very underhand way, and which is controlled behind the scenes by the same individual who brought in the restrictive, ridiculous alcohol laws.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, sandrew33 said:

Anyone else think “stoner” might have a vested interest here? 

Probably quite a few have, loads of my mates love a puff or a nibble.

Edited by sungod
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Irish star said:

And you will continue your Alcoholism 

Yes jolly clever - unfortunately I am not an alcoholic - at present I very rarely drink in fact. You may, were you not so obsessed with drawing conclusions from no evidence whatsoever, have deduced that I am not really bothered at all. In fact the point that I was making is that with the exception of a few falang enthusiasts for and opponents to the stuff, no one else is really bothered at all!

Edited by herfiehandbag

32 minutes ago, JackGats said:

Before the election most of the posters here vilified the previous government. They hailed "the will of the people". Well there you are folks. The will of the people: taxes on our pensions, cannabis recriminalised ... what next?

Wait, are you forgetting that this is Thailand? You just need to find a "nice" doctor who can prescribe cannabis to you. Good luck! 

• Like 1

Good! 

But it will become another thing for the police to enforce any changes. 

We know that many of them prefer sitting around blindfolded with one or two hands open and waiting for money to rain from heaven ... 😉 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

unfortunately I am not an alcoholic

Unfortunately?

Wouldn't that be "fortunately"? Or maybe just say 

3 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I am not an alcoholic

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

I've seen no indication that the U.S. State model of medical cards is being considered here. I've never seen it mentioned by any Thai officials.

I think everyone understands that any medical card solution, unless following medical testing, and diagnosis, would simply be a tacit approval for recreational use. Could it be implemented to rebuff opposition? Sure.

And foreigners would be excluded from such a program, unless part of the social security programs.

I've scanned the draft bill via Google Translate and saw nothing in it prohibiting the possession or personal use of cannabis flower (over 0.2 %). There are limitations on the sale of cannabis flower. I could have missed something, it's quite a convoluted mess, more like an advanced degree thesis written by ThaiChatGPT. And is very similar to the draft bill first read last year.

Section 42: No person is allowed to sell marijuana, hemp, or extracts for consumption. Whether it's for the benefit in trade or given with compensation or other benefits or not By means or in a certain manner in any of the following ways: (1) Sell marijuana, hemp, or extracts for recreational purposes.

The punishment for this violation is a 60,000 baht fine (up to), but no jail time. Other violations related to production and distribution include fines and jail time. 

i have not read the bill, maybe they will take a different route and only allow licensed pharmacies to sell, it sounds like it is all about licensing, basically you need a prescription....cough cough
that is same as US but then they made cards instead of repeated prescriptions
i doubt they would want to lose the tax they are already receiving
and as you say nothing against possession and consumption
it is just the trade they are going after
so if they continue to let licensed weed sellers sell, they will need a way for that seller to verify it is for buyers health
otherwise they make it prescription only....cough cough
and it just gets sold at pharmacies 
other possibility is this is just an extra tax that goes into different pockets
just have to see how they apply the fine and whether it is applied the same to all
as 60,000 will be affordable by busy shops
just like craft beers brewers paying 10,000 Baht fine every month 
this would also very much favour the bigger operators and make it difficult for smaller competition to get going
they could easily corner the weed outlet market like this