Thailand moves to ban recreational cannabis use, 18 months after historic decriminalization

webfact

3 minutes ago, Spock said:

I won't be coming back.

This legislation may not pass Parliament until May or June, then it will have a three-month lag from Gazetting, and it will probably include some 3+ month amnesty period.

More than enough time for another trip?

• Like 1

Fast forward 6 months from now:

"I have back pain. Take my word for it. Here is my 10,000 baht medical fee, payable every three months."

Edited by Ebumbu

Stupid. They should let people smoke at home as it hurts no one - just ban it in public and ENFORCE IT. Same goes for vapes - ban it in public and ENFORCE - they've completely stopped enforcing and every other person is blowing toxicfumes in your face nonstop everywhere.

• Love It 1

10 hours ago, stoner said:

BP updated on this yesterday. the headline in the BP says....draft bill on cannabis not finished says cholnan. what was forwarded was the health ministries views on the subject. 

then he goes on to state it is his firm belief that cannabis should be used strictly as medical. HIS VIEWS is the key phrase here. 

a khao san road business rep went on to say that it possibly generates 20 to 30 mb alone for khao san road per month. multiply that throughout the countries tourist areas and you have a large sum of money.

VERY large. 

Why not allow coke, heroin and crack...?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

This legislation may not pass Parliament until May or June, then it will have a three-month lag from Gazetting, and it will probably include some 3+ month amnesty period.

More than enough time for another trip?

If it takes that long to shut the weed down, yes I will have enough time for another trip. I got my Thai mate to buy some ahead of my last visit and could do the same again. 

Just now, baansgr said:

Why not allow coke, heroin and crack...?

The consequences of a cannabis overdose are: sleepy, horny, hungry. The consequences of the others you name are death. Withdrawal from alcohol can actually kill you. Ban alcohol. Hell, ban coffee, unless you agree that adults should have the ability to exercise some autonomy over their own bodies and minds. 

• Thanks 2

Just grow it at home. Most of the stuff in these ganja shops is a pile of :hit-the-fan:

It definitely needs to be better regulated, and they definitely need to lower prices (or grow good weed that is actually worth the premium price put on it these days). However, it is empirically evident that the legal, recreational use of cannabis is much safer than the recreational use of other legal pleasures.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, ezzra said:

And no reasons given? there are thousands of Thais who have have invested heavily and started business in either

growing or selling cannabis, and now the wishy-washy government of dufuses headed by a billionaire are moving the

goal posts, what next? going back to the previous opening hours of bars and restaurants?...

Reason I'm guessing, who is in jail hospital, in his reign drug is a drug. For me ban it all. 2am close is late enough. I would love to know if accident rate up. Get rib of buying in a supermarket drink to if there open they can sell drink. 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

The drinkers in the bars  in the area where I went yesterday were all drinking with each and playing pool and talking with each other, as they usually do , the guys with spliffs were just sitting around staring and people walking by 

So what happens when they get into their cars and drive?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Stupid. They should let people smoke at home as it hurts no one - just ban it in public and ENFORCE IT. Same goes for vapes - ban it in public and ENFORCE - they've completely stopped enforcing and every other person is blowing toxicfumes in your face nonstop everywhere.

Police cannot enforce traffic rules so how are they going to ENFORCE these new rules?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Flyguy330 said:

It is so jarring to read of the punishments applied for Cannabis possession just across the southern border. On one side of that invisible line a Thai or Farang can lounge in public smoking weed which is openly on sale everywhere, while yards away on the other side of that invisible line a man caught in possession of weed will face a lengthy prison sentence, or even death. Humans are really weird.

Ex-Customs officer escapes gallows, gets 15 years' jail for possessing cannabis

You ain't whistling Dixie.

27 minutes ago, ripstanley said:

Police cannot enforce traffic rules so how are they going to ENFORCE these new rules?

It's not that they cannot - it's that they chose not to because there's not enough incentive. If they actually wanted to I'm sure they could enforce both.

1 hour ago, Leif Kullberg said:

There is no way in hell they can turn the development around.
There r way to many Thai nationals that get rich from growing and producing marijuana.

They are not making near as much as the people in high places that are facilitating the easy entry to Thailand of the much sought after, higher quality weed from the US and elsewhere overseas.