US and UK hint at military action after largest Houthi attack in Red Sea

CharlieH

7 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

We'll get the trade deal with the US as soon as Trump is re-elected.

Be sure to let me know when the EU gets one :smile:.

Democrats like Obama and Biden were always anti British sovereignty, same as you are. Biden especially has done his best to undermine Brexit (Obama actually helped to get it over the line - thanks Barack!) but he's a senile old man and won't be in power much longer. Then he'll be free to pretend to be Irish as much as he likes.  

Alternatively, you were lied to and you swallowed the lies.

Those ‘warm sunlit uplands’ are a just over the horizon, keep the faith Jonny, keep the faith.

5 minutes ago, RayC said:

An "interesting" foreign policy strategy. Having alienated our geographically closest allies, you suggest that we should now alienate our most powerful diplomatic, economic and military ally.

Are we trying to emulate North Korea or are we going 'all in' and aiming to be Cambodia circa 1975?

Only until Biden has gone. If he wants to undermine our sovereign decisions I would advocate refusing military co-operation. 

My response would be simple. "Let's go Brandon". 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

We'll get the trade deal with the US as soon as Trump is re-elected.

Be sure to let me know when the EU gets one :smile:.

Democrats like Obama and Biden were always anti British sovereignty, same as you are. Biden especially has done his best to undermine Brexit (Obama actually helped to get it over the line - thanks Barack!) but he's a senile old man and won't be in power much longer. Then he'll be free to pretend to be Irish as much as he likes.  

In what seems like an ever changing world, there are some things which remain constant.

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN1ZQ114/

A meaningful UK - US trade deal any time soon? No, I don't think so, no matter who ends up in the White House.

Edited by RayC
Missing words added

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

Only until Biden has gone. If he wants to undermine our sovereign decisions I would advocate refusing military co-operation. 

My response would be simple. "Let's go Brandon". 

Biden has not undermined any British sovereign decisions.

The UK made a mistake and the consequences are coming home to roost, it’s not Biden’s fault, it’s nobody’s fault beyond those who lied to you and those who swallowed the lies.

Personal responsibility and all that.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, charleskerins said:

Apparently they are involved

Indeed.

But my post was about 'directly' involved, and in reply to some end-of-days, WWIII comment.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, BusyB said:

The ME right now reminds me a little of the Balkans before WW1. That doesn't mean things have to go down like they did in 1914, but it is a splintered, feuding and instable region with numerous small countries and fiefdoms. Outside major powers are circling and vying for advantage, all with any number of official and especially unofficial alliances and clan treaties. Even the regional religion is split into two hostile factions.

It is a bit of a tinderbox indeed.

Maybe not a good idea to play with tinderboxes in the ME. All that oil.....

11 hours ago, natway09 said:

At the very least give the sailors some hand grenades for the boats that come close

Without proper training, they'd either be ineffective, hurt themselves, or piss off the attackers even more.

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Nah. My whining about genocide is usually confined to complaints about the Chinese, the Israelis, and the Russians. 

At least you do not fear to openly admit your biased opinions.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Morch said:

The Houthis hijack ships.

Some posters hijack topics.

The topic is about UK-US co-operation.

Personally I think the UK should steer clear of any more military adventures with the US. I have held this opinion ever since Blair teamed up with Bush with his illegal war following the WMD lies. I am concerned Sunak will lose more British lives by joining in America's war mongering. Leave Biden to it.

• Confused 6
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, charleskerins said:

Dear Mr Joe Biden     wait a while closer to election then geT the US Navy to destroy them ,have a press conference  -  we need them to die to save Democracy.

More like the Houthis are interfering with G7 economics and money making avenues (read national security)

Edited by freeworld
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, charleskerins said:

there are surgical strikes

LOL. The Houthis are in home territory, it's a large country, and "surgical strikes" only work if the target doesn't keep moving around. Yemen isn't like Gaza where the opposition knows everything going on as it happens. They will be aware of surveillance flights/ satellites, and will be on the lookout for special forces.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Morch said:

@thaibeachlovers

Being the strategic genius that you are, how would you tackle the fact that this group is disrupting international maritime commerce?

Given that you asked- the Houthis have said they are only targeting israeli linked vessels, so unless they prove that isn't true, I'd tell any shipping company with israeli contacts to take the long way around Africa and let the rest carry on through Suez.

Given the apparent lack of enthusiasm by other countries to join in the naval fun, I suspect they ain't buying the US claims of imminent disaster if the Houthis are left un invaded.

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

You're entitled to your opinion.

No doubt you think we'd have had one if we'd have stayed in the EU :laugh:.

The EU would like a trade deal with the US. However, unlike the UK it doesn't need one and it certainly doesn't need to accept a US-dictated 'take it or leave it' deal, which is the most that the UK can hope for.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Given that you asked- the Houthis have said they are only targeting israeli linked vessels, so unless they prove that isn't true, I'd tell any shipping company with israeli contacts to take the long way around Africa and let the rest carry on through Suez.

Given the apparent lack of enthusiasm by other countries to join in the naval fun, I suspect they ain't buying the US claims of imminent disaster if the Houthis are left un invaded.

How wrong you are on both counts @thaibeachlovers

This is not just about the US and UK playing in the naval fun, perhaps read the full topic next time:

"UK, US, Australia, Bahrain, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, New Zealand, South Korea and Singapore, who launched "Operation Prosperity Guardian" last month to protect Red Sea shipping."

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1