New Covid JN.1 Strain Sweeping Thailand

webfact

5 minutes ago, ukrules said:

My symptoms started late at night on January 3rd, coughing with a runny nose.

I don't see anywhere in your above post where you indicated that you actually tested positive for COVID -- as opposed to coming down with any number of other possible maladies.

6 hours ago, stoner said:

People who get infected by this new stain have mild symptoms with some only having a cold and sore throat like common respiratory infections.

Not true everywhere!! It’s been very bad in lots of EU countries with the hospitals full again . I’ve had it myself, and this particular strain often affects the bronchial and lungs and it’s a bad and nasty infection. My DR says he’s getting 10 patients a day ( small village) with the same symptoms. Knocked me for six,  cortisone and antibiotics to treat the lung infection. 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

A PROMINENT virologist said this morning (Jan. 11) that a new Covid-19 strain, JN.1, has now taken hold in Thailand and is turning into the most widespread variant as it is highly contagious and this leading to a spike in the number of patients, Naewna newspaper said.

Dr. Yong Poovorawan, head of the Centre of Excellence in Clinical Virology at the Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, said in a Facebook post that a test of 14 samples in December, with there being a few more to be analysed but the total is low because of limited budget, shows JN.1 is the most common strain.

This variant first appeared in the US and mutated from the BA.2.86 strain, nicknamed Pilora, the name of an asteroid. It is highly contagious and spreads quickly and is expected to replace all other Covid variants.

This new variant, which does not have a nickname yet, became more pronounced in December and will definitely spread in the New Year.

by TNR Staff 

Dr Yong Poovorawan. Photo: INN News

Full story: THAI NEWSROOM 2024-01-11

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

I haven't seen Dr Yong out spreading fear and avarice lately.  I see he has poked our head up long enough to expound that 99.98% of people who get Covid will beat it and gain immunity.  Be afraid.  Be very afraid.  Covid gonna get 'cha. 

Oh never mind.  I already had it.  It was a nothing-burger.  I've had worse colds.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stoner said:

People who get infected by this new stain have mild symptoms with some only having a cold and sore throat like common respiratory infections.

So like, people who get this are dead for sure? 

17 minutes ago, geisha said:

Not true everywhere!! It’s been very bad in lots of EU countries with the hospitals full again . I’ve had it myself, and this particular strain often affects the bronchial and lungs and it’s a bad and nasty infection. My DR says he’s getting 10 patients a day ( small village) with the same symptoms. Knocked me for six,  cortisone and antibiotics to treat the lung infection. 

not my words i was quoting the thai doctor in the article attached to the thread.

• Like 1

STOP making people more paranoid.

This is just another strain like we have with flu yearly.

Covid is now just same as flu. We must live with it. And like with flu take yearly a updated booster so if would get infected you wont be much ill.

Back to normal life 1000%.

Better wear a mask for the extreme high 2.5 polution. This the only reason I would wear it. Like I already did long time before covid the months 2.5 was much to high.

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, geisha said:

You need to back this up with something. From what I've seen it's just another mild Omicron variant as mentioned in an earlier article on this site.

8 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

You need to back this up with something. From what I've seen it's just another mild Omicron variant as mentioned in an earlier article on this site.

It’s not been on news etc, I’m not exaggerating, a friend of mine who has never been sick in her life had the same, her husband and daughter too. I didn’t catch it from them, I caught it certainly in Venice airport in the New Year rush. I saw my doctor, enough for me and he said the hospital was fulll. You hardly hear a thing about Covid anymore.  Just wear a mask in crowded places, wash hands. Up to you. 
( I had Covid in March 2022 and it was like a short sniffle , 3 days). 

14 minutes ago, connda said:

Ok.

Me

* No Shots. 
** No Masks (unless forced to by Big-C or Big-Box-Store employees). 
*** No Covid until August 2023 unlike virtually every person whom I personally know who got the Covid shots and then came down with Covid within a short time.  60 hours with a fever feeling like I had the flu (which I did - the Covid Flu). 
**** Wife as well.  No shots. No masks. No Covid until August 2023 (she got it first and gave it to me).  Fully recovered within 5 days like myself.  No Long_Covid.  No Death. No tubes.  No ventilators.  No scary Covid Stories.  No Fear.

And personally, I don't have any friends, family, or even acquaintances who "died of Covid."  Not even one.

:angry:  Well, then you didn't have Covid.  Covid would have killed your elderly, anti-vaxxer, anti-mask butt for sure.  You probably just had the flu or a cold!  Or?  You're just lying!!!

:thumbsup:  But but but - The Covid Tests I took positively indicated that I had SARS-Cov-2.  i took tests daily.  Trust the science!  The Science using The Expert's Covid Tests conclusively indicated I was infected with SARS-Cov-2 for a period of almost 2 weeks although I was only symptomatic for about 72 hours.

I masked outside the home (like if I went shopping or into public spaces) until I was "negative."  Personally I don't believe that the masks are effective other than to filter out the most dense, water-bound particles with enough mass to be effectively filtered (sneezes, coughs).  The difference here is that I masked to protect others - BUT - only while I was symptomatic and SARS-Cov-2 positive.  That's simply being responsible. Wearing a mask when you are not sick or positive?  That's just silly.  I've never masked to protect myself -  Why?  I'm sorry, but that vast majority of masks (other than special PPE and P100 masks) can't filter out a particle size smaller than 0.12 microns.  I consider masks to be nothing much more than "feel safe" devices.  You wear them and you feel safe.  And you demand that others wear them so you can feel safe, even though you aren't. 

Better to work on your ability to build a strong and resilient immune system.  And, "oh", by the way, you don't strengthen your immune system by avoid pathogens.

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I don't see anywhere in your above post where you indicated that you actually tested positive for COVID -- as opposed to coming down with any number of other possible maladies.

So what? I couldn't be bothered to do a test. Those tests are not very reliable anyway.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

Just now, ukrules said:

So what?

So your comments above regarding your symptoms would seem to be based on your guess that what you have is COVID...

And not on any real confirmation that what you have is actually COVID -- as opposed to a cold, the flu or who knows what else.

Which renders you judgments above about the severity of your symptoms pretty much irrelevant to the discussion here of actual COVID.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, ericdiam said:

Covid is now just same as flu.

No, it's not... not even close:

Data reported by the U.S. CDC for the latter part of December:

"COVID was responsible for 3.3% of all deaths last week"

"Across all age-groups, flu made up 0.5% of all the nation's deaths last week"

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/influenza-general/us-covid-markers-rise-flu-activity-intensifies

AND

Screenshot_2.jpg.14ef031e4c68a2805a102a0fc60d8f23.jpg

https://www.cdc.gov/respiratory-viruses/data-research/dashboard/illness-severity.html

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So your comments above regarding your symptoms would seem to be based on your guess that what you have is COVID...

And not on any real confirmation that what you have is actually COVID -- as opposed to a cold, the flu or who knows what else.

Which renders you judgments above about the severity of your symptoms pretty much irrelevant to the discussion here of actual COVID.

Nonsense, it's anecdotal at best - for all you know I could be making it up so you shouldn't rely too much on anything you read here.

There is currently a massive wave of covid sweeping across Thailand since a few weeks ago - lets face it - if anyone gets any kind of ailment where the symptoms match pretty much exactly then it's highly likely to be a part of the same huge wave of illness spreading everywhere, especially on a night like New Years Eve.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ukrules said:

So what? I couldn't be bothered to do a test. Those tests are not very reliable anyway.

But more reliable than doing nothing, especially if you repeat the at-home type tests several times as generally recommended, or get an RT-PCR test from your doctor, which are very accurate.

Or failing that, try to avoid making posts and claims about your supposed COVID symptoms when you don't really know you had COVID.

8 minutes ago, ukrules said:

for all you know I could be making it up

I think we've pretty well already sussed out that fact...

But meanwhile, in the real world, the truth is, this time of year is the high season for a variety of respiratory illnesses, including COVID, the flu, RSV and others....

But that doesn't mean they're all the same and interchangeable with each other.

1 hour ago, pomchop said:

yeah right...tell that to my two buddies families who spent time bragging about no masks no shots and listening to fox new nonstop...both healthy guys who died horrible deaths with tubes shoved down their throats while their wives who got the shots had no problems....

Yes of course.

FYI, for your next "anecdote": Fox was pro-jab.

1 hour ago, ericdiam said:

STOP making people more paranoid.

This is just another strain like we have with flu yearly.

Covid is now just same as flu. We must live with it. And like with flu take yearly a updated booster so if would get infected you wont be much ill.

Back to normal life 1000%.

Better wear a mask for the extreme high 2.5 polution. This the only reason I would wear it. Like I already did long time before covid the months 2.5 was much to high.

Sorry but you are wrong. A: The flu is worse. B. Only those at serious risk should think about a booster. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geisha said:

I'm seeing lots of sick people too. All fully "vaccinated" and feeling very confused.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dinsdale said:

A: The flu is worse

The facts as posted and linked above still say COVID, even now, is worse than the flu:

Screenshot_2.jpg.14ef031e4c68a2805a102a0fc60d8f23.jpg.baa74f127b76662198298b9b844e3a54.jpg

AND

Data reported by the U.S. CDC for the latter part of December:

"COVID was responsible for 3.3% of all deaths last week"

"Across all age-groups, flu made up 0.5% of all the nation's deaths last week"

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/influenza-general/us-covid-markers-rise-flu-activity-intensifies

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

I'm seeing lots of sick people too. All fully "vaccinated" and feeling very confused.

1. COVID vaccines are only effective against COVID, and not the flu, RSV or any other number of seasonal illnesses circulating right now that are making people sick.

2. Much of the Thai population, at this point, has at best two original COVID vaccine doses given up to two years ago, and nothing since. And about 20% of the Thai population never got any COVID vaccines at all... Which is not a recipe for comprehensive protection at the society level.

Especially when doctors and public health agencies currently consider the definition of "fully vaccinated" to be at least THREE COVID vaccine doses. and many are recommending a fourth dose with the latest monovalent XBB-focused version.

Lots of the Thai population never got that far, and the latest vaccine version being used in the U.S., U.K., and elsewhere isn't even available in Thailand thus far.

Screenshot_4.jpg.6b901bf182439aa7bf15e826bb016d40.jpg

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/?dashboard=main

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

16 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

61,217 recorded cases on the entire globe on Jan 9. Global population in 2023, 8,045,311,417. A very, very, very, very miniscule number in anyone's books.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Screenshot (1215).png

As the WHO repeats in every single update they post now, many countries -- including Thailand --  have simply stopped counting and reporting COVID cases/infections -- which renders the remaining numbers that are reported vast undercounts to the reality and bigger picture at the global level.

"Globally, during the 28-day period from 20 November to 17 December 2023, 105 countries [out of about 200 total] reported COVID-19 cases and 50 countries reported COVID-19 deaths. Note that this does not reflect the actual number of countries where cases or deaths are occurring, as many countries have stopped or changed frequency of reporting."

"From the available data, the number of reported cases has increased while deaths have decreased during the 28-day period, with over 850 000 new cases and over 3000 new deaths, an increase of 52% and a decrease of 8%, respectively, compared to the previous 28 days (23 October to 19 November 2023).

"Trends in the number of reported new cases and deaths should be interpreted with caution due to decreased testing
and sequencing, alongside reporting delays in many countries."

https://www.who.int/publications/m/item/covid-19-epidemiological-update---22-december-2023

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

As the WHO repeats in every single update they post now, many countries -- including Thailand --  have simply stopped counting and reporting COVID cases/infections -- which renders the remaining numbers that are reported vast undercounts to the reality and bigger picture at the global level.

"Globally, during the 28-day period from 20 November to 17 December 2023, 105 countries [out of about 200 total] reported COVID-19 cases and 50 countries reported COVID-19 deaths. Note that this does not reflect the actual number of countries where cases or deaths are occurring, as many countries have stopped or changed frequency of reporting."

"From the available data, the number of reported cases has increased while deaths have decreased during the 28-day period, with over 850 000 new cases and over 3000 new deaths, an increase of 52% and a decrease of 8%, respectively, compared to the previous 28 days (23 October to 19 November 2023).

"Trends in the number of reported new cases and deaths should be interpreted with caution due to decreased testing
and sequencing, alongside reporting delays in many countries."

https://www.who.int/publications/m/item/covid-19-epidemiological-update---22-december-2023

Yep. No reporting. Not necessary. It's endemic as is the common cold and the flu.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Yep. No reporting. Not necessary. It's endemic as is the common cold and the flu.

And yet you felt compelled to post relatively meaningless statistics above from Worldometers in your attempt to minimize the real and current extent of the ongoing COVID presence in the world.

The most credible COVID statistics out there these days are new COVID hospitalizations and deaths, since those are more widely and credibly tracked and reported. But as the WHO notes, even those aren't being publicly reported in many places.

Which is the reason we have this:

The pandemic’s true death toll

Screenshot_5.jpg.70c40494bfefcaa7428134ca3a975fa7.jpg

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/coronavirus-excess-deaths-estimates

• Sad 1