To all our Laos expats

To all our Laos expats what's it like living in Laos? Perhaps Vientiane

I know one of our members on here Simon used to live there but your  thinking in terms of cost , lifestyle, gyms , things to do , people attitude,health systems etc ok 

But .. what about the cultural aspects, art , history, 

What is the cultural aspects and influence of the city of Vientiane

The people vibe?

One thing I judge a city on is ,... graffiti, or street art , is it any good it tells me about the city 

I just watched a YouTuber vlogging a horse I think it was called on Vientiane ,looks like Isaan 

I realise Vietnam is the upcoming now place for retirement and secondly  Philippines ( I didn't really like) and Bali to a certain extent but Laos may by pass them 

Thus vlogger showed rubbish in Vientiane but I can tell you nothing compito the awful Philippines, angry males not minding their own business

I can't tell you how many times when I was in the Philippines taking a photo or looking at a building how many times I was approached by a  Filipino male asking what I was doing?

"What are you staring at? Etc

Anyway this post is NOT about the Philippines it's about Laos !! 

Give me your rundown on Laos 

Edited by georgegeorgia

Skim my posts, I did it to death.

Short version: the room is more expensive, they’re practically giving the food away. 

Bangkok Hospital just opened a branch in Vientiane, so an oldie might now consider it.

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, simon43 said:

I've never lived in Vientiane (and nor would I want to!).  When living in Laos I have always lived in Luang Prabang, (where I am now). If you want to judge the city by its graffiti then I have never seen any graffiti in Luang Prabang....  This is a quiet place (I think they still operate a curfew at night). Most people are in bed by 9pm and up at 6am.  It's not for party-goers or mongers.

What long term visa is available? I wasn't aware of any.

14 hours ago, simon43 said:

I've never lived in Vientiane (and nor would I want to!).  When living in Laos I have always lived in Luang Prabang, (where I am now). If you want to judge the city by its graffiti then I have never seen any graffiti in Luang Prabang....  This is a quiet place (I think they still operate a curfew at night). Most people are in bed by 9pm and up at 6am.  It's not for party-goers or mongers.

Sounds like a great place 

Is there  a gym nearby ??

Is it safe to walk at night?

Can I come and live with you for a short time?

14 hours ago, simon43 said:

Most people are in bed by 9pm and up at 6am.  It's not for party-goers or mongers.

Sounds great , just like our village. Early to bed early to rise .

I hear this is the place where the party is (if you like that):

"Vang Vieng has become a backpacker-oriented town, with the main street featuring guest houses, bars, restaurants, internet cafes, and tour agencies. Attractions of the town include inner tubing and kayaking on the Nam Song River, which, until 2012, was lined with bars selling Beer Lao and Lao-Lao, and equipped with rope swings, zip lines, swimming and diving into blue lagoon, and large decks for socializing."

They calmed down a little but party is still going on:

"A few years ago the local government decided to close down some of the bars that lined the shores of the Mekong River and the notorious parties stopped. Today, backpackers still come to Vang Vieng in search of drugs, alcohol, fun and relaxation. They find all of those, but the town is much quieter and calmer.
28 Aug 2023"

Opium tea. You will sleep like the dead. Don’t drink too much of it with booze or that may turn literal.

The only gym in the country is currently closed. Laos is still very Covid-like. Much of it is still closed, a lot of it will never reopen.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...