Pot industry pushes back against draft law that would put an end to Thailand’s cannabis revolution

webfact

29 minutes ago, shunter said:

Far too many loud-mouthed farangs boast about their cannabis knockout labs and others brag about their growing, selling, and exporting of cannabis backed it is claimed by an international merchant bank on TikTok.  It does not sit well with those in power, nor competitors either. How long before such farangs will be removed by fair or foul actions? 

You blame the Falangs for all this.

Your mad mate.

Stop smoking to much gear, so early in the morning.

Edited by quake
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

They should fight these changes with everything they have, the people who have invested a fortune into these stores and cannabis related businesses depend on the government to support them and the last thing they need right now is a flip-flop and a restart of the war on recreational drugs, which is a ridiculous pursuit on the part of any government. They should hire lobbyists, they should pay off senators, they should do whatever they need to do to make sure no changes take place with this law. 

Trouble is the government constantly flip flop as they pass laws with little research i don’t do any form of drugs what worries me more the amount of deaths on the roads it’s time they introduced proper driving test like the western countries 

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, smedly said:

Thailand has enough to deal with regarding alcohol - it does not need another drug rampaging society, excessive use of weed has been shown to cause long term brain damage - many studies have shown this

Exactly. It's not what the shop owners want it's what the government want. If it's passed then start jailing them. BUT, they should have made a decision and stick to it not pussy foot around. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Nonsense, they never encouraged anyone to open a cannabis shop servicing recreational cannabis - actually they said the opposite no recreational cannabis, you don't compensate stupidity.

Agreed, Thais love an easy money opportunity. If there was a market for dog legs, there wouldn't be a soi dog left in the country with all it's legs.

I am in no way anti weed, i smoke a couple of joints every night (compressed bush, not the outragously priced indoor grown weed) but the way everyone threw money at opening shops to make a fast buck might come back to bite them.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, shunter said:

Far too many loud-mouthed farangs boast about their cannabis knockout labs and others brag about their growing, selling, and exporting of cannabis backed it is claimed by an international merchant bank on TikTok.  It does not sit well with those in power, nor competitors either. How long before such farangs will be removed by fair or foul actions? 

What on earth have you been smoking?

• Haha 2

At 78 years of age I have successfully avoided cannabis, judge not others as you judge yourself... Try having a dig around the assorted  influencer sites.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, JimboB4 said:

Although they should fully promote recreational use of it. Why? Five words, money, economy, tourists good health. 

Regarding nothing is going to change if you’re currently using it. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm happy not being high but make no judgements to those who smoke it.  No more than those that get drunk.  

The most preposterous thing I ever read was people touting that tourism was going to go ballistic because marijuana was legal.  No place on earth has had this happen.  I know people years ago went to Amsterdam, bla bla bla but with marijuana being so widely accepted it will never be a tourist draw.  And I do mean ever.

On a recent trip the cannibis stores on every corner were somewhat ridiculous in SE Asian style.  Trashy and third world looking.  It suits Thailand in a way, and I wonder how the government even allowed them to advertise like that.  

• Confused 4
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

They should fight these changes with everything they have, the people who have invested a fortune into these stores and cannabis related businesses depend on the government to support them and the last thing they need right now is a flip-flop and a restart of the war on recreational drugs, which is a ridiculous pursuit on the part of any government. They should hire lobbyists, they should pay off senators, they should do whatever they need to do to make sure no changes take place with this law. 

Well said.

• Thanks 1

Now I have seen the draft bill, I have extracted key sections regarding recreational use and relevant penalties.

In the definitions. "Recreation means an action performed for entertainment or pleasure whether alone or with other people."

Section 25. The licensee must control and prevent the consumption of marijuana for recreational purposes in the licensed premises.

Section 42. No person is allowed to distribute marijuana, hemp, or extracts to others, whether for commercial gain or not in any of the following ways:

(1)    Distribution of marijuana, hemp, or extracts for recreational purposes.

Section 45. Consumption of marijuana, hemp, or extracts for recreational purposes is prohibited.

Penalties

Section 58. A licensee who violates section 25 shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding one year. or a fine not exceeding one hundred thousand baht or both.

Section 63. Whoever violates section 42 (1) or (2) shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding one year or fined not more than one hundred thousand baht or both.

Section 66. Anyone who violates section 44 or section 45 shall be liable to a fine not exceeding sixty thousand baht.

The maximum penalty of 60,000 is pretty severe for most people but, at least, doesn't involve a prison sentence.  However, if we assume, say, a 20,000 baht fine for first offenders and more for subsequent offenders, it is pretty obvious that many Thai would end up being dumped in prison for non-payment of fines. At one day for 200 baht of unpaid fines, that could mean 100 days in prison for a first offence. 

It seems that the shops will be the main targets, as they will be subjected to a one year jail sentence or a 100,000 or both for distributing cannabis for recreational purposes, even though they have no way of knowing what customers are going to do with it. This law makes them sitting ducks for harassment and extortion which could force the business entirely underground with no quality control or tax.  

There seems to be a whole lot missing, such as how is medical use going to be administered and whether shops can still sell buds or not.  I couldn't find any references to bud, even though the minister had earlier said shops would not be able to sell them at all. They did say a couple of weeks ago that certain details would be specified later in ministerial regulations, which the way politicians amend laws with a stroke of a pen without having to go through parliament, e.g. Anutin's legalisation order in June 2022.

Apparently no penalties for possession with intent to use recreationally but perhaps they will add that for possession without a prescription.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Thanks 2