Video: Is there any hope for Thai education?

webfact

6 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Smart people will challenge others.  Dummies lay down. I actually think this countries leaders prefer stupid people. 

Knowledge is power, that's why the leaders do not want a highly educated population.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, JoePai said:

Nothing will change while the entrenched fossils are in charge of the country

They are making new fossils to replenish the old ones, every day.

The people themselves, need to change,  not just the government.

6 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

see, thing is, taught in everything here from uni to primary to gvt schools to international and lest not forget the classic english program. they usually dont get violence from us and still fail to put in any effort. be it noted, i have had some very bright and amazing kids over the years... and there are always a few in every class. 

Did you mean to say English program. 

Again, my did got and is getting a fine education here, much better than he would have received in California. 

12 hours ago, webfact said:

The Program for International Student Assessment (PISA) evaluates the knowledge and skills of 15-year-old students worldwide in reading, mathematics and science every three years.

Each time the PISA results are announced, it becomes a hot issue, as the performance of Thai students declines. Thai PBS World spoke to experts in the field of education to find out whether there is a light at the end of the tunnel for our national education system.

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-01-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

this rankng should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Whilst the Thai education system is deplorable and archaic so it is in many of the higher ranking countries.

Thai's education system is closely tied in with the counrtry's penchant for graft, neptism and corruption - it leads to all sortd of problems for the countr and needs to be totally reforms - but looking at this survey their is no obvious answer because countries with equallt bad education systems do quite well.

THe results of the Thai education system manifest themselves in all aspects of Thai life - poorly trained doctors, incompetent CEOs and politicians the dire road safety record, wildlife and conservation failures ALL have their roots in poor education and the subsequent failure to get in outside professionals as it may cause them to loose face.

THe problem is that people love to decry the Thai system but nobody is offering a solution.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I'm guessing not just TH.  Helped raise 2 kids in the USA (only other experience), and public schools there are a joke.   Took them out and placed them in private (Catholic  of all thing) school.  Now a whole lot better, but at least the safe.  That was in suburbia.  Forget inner city schools, stay home, stay alive.

I have a huge family tree back home that tree starts with public school all of my cousins, their kids, public school. 

Nearly all are professional , Doctor, Lawyers, my niece two girls 18,22, both got full scholarships at Stanford,  tuition is 70,000 USD a year. The oldest graduated with honor and was highly recruited to do research at UCSF.

One of my cousins started with McDonnell Douglas Engineer space division left and went with Elon Musk startup he recently retired driving away in EV truck loaded with his stock🤣

They all came from inner city public school.

I was offer a great education public school  unlike my cousins while they were studying I was out breaking into peoples homes🙄 Every expert inside of Thailand who isnt afraid to speak and outside express nothing will change to help the masses in Public schools unless they make a major change and Thailand that isnt going to happen.

Edited by thailand49

21 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Thai students bag 30 awards in international mathematics contest

Thai students have won 30 awards, including 11 gold medals, seven silvers and three bronzes, at the 2023 international mathematics contest held in Seoul, South Korea.

Thai students among top winners at Regeneron ISEF 2023

Thai student teams took home several awards, including top prize Regeneron Young Scientist Award from the Regeneron International Science and Engineering Fair (Regeneron ISEF 2023). Organized by the Regeneron and Society for Science, Regeneron ISEF 2023 was held from 13 to 19 May 2023 in Dallas, Texas, USA.

Thai Students Win Innovative Marketing Awards at Global Level

Two student teams from Chulalongkorn University in Thailand have won Gold Awards at the 2023 Global Brand Planning Competition (GBPC) in Singapore.

Two Thai students wins Diploma of Excellence at Stockholm Junior Water Prize 2021

Thai students win international award for space technology

A group of engineering students from Thailand’s   has won an international award in Japan for their space technology project, which aims to develop a special drug to protect human DNA from cosmic rays.

Thai student team wins Intel AI Global Impact Festival Grand Prize

NSTDA President Prof. Dr. Sukit Limpijumnong recently offered his congratulations to Thai student team consisting of Tanapat Charunworphan, Noppawit Chunram and Matt Tanthai Cosh for winning the global grand prize at the Intel AI Global Impact Festival 2022. The Prince Royal's College students won the award for the 13- to 17-year-old age group with their innovation called CS-M Tool.

THAI STUDENTS WIN FIVE MEDALS AT INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIAD ON ASTRONOMY AND ASTROPHYSICS, HOSTED BY THAILAND

Maybe you could supply a list of what schools these students attend or attended. International schools perhaps?

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

I have a huge family tree back home that tree starts with public school all of my cousins, their kids, public school. 

Nearly all are professional , Doctor, Lawyers, my niece two girls 18,22, both got full scholarships at Stanford,  tuition is 70,000 USD a year. The oldest graduated with honor and was highly recruited to do research at UCSF.

One of my cousins started with McDonnell Douglas Engineer space division left and went with Elon Musk startup he recently retired driving away in EV truck loaded with his stock🤣

I was offer a great education public school  unlike my cousins while they were studying I was out breaking into peoples homes🙄 Every expert inside of Thailand who isnt afraid to speak and outside express nothing will change to help the masses in Public schools unless they make a major change and Thailand that isnt going to happen.

Right

34 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Maybe you could supply a list of what schools these students attend or attended. International schools perhaps?

Reading comprehension must not be your strong suit.

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

If they didn't have to pass threw metal detectors to enter the school, then probably not from the same inner city schools I'm thinking of, where the drop out rate of 25% or more isn't a rare occurrence.  That's Philadelphia.   Come out to suburbia, Chester, PA, USA.

"The graduation rate of Chester High School can be as low as 46%"

Edited by KhunLA

10 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If they didn't have to pass threw metal detectors to enter the school, then probably not from the same inner city schools I'm thinking of, where the drop out rate of 25% or more isn't a rare occurrence.  That's Philadelphia.   Come out to suburbia, Chester, PA, USA.

Mentions universities but what were their schools before higher education. Nothing wrong with my reading comprehension. Again how many of these students are from an international or private school background? Can you answer this simple question? Education problems in Thailand are far more based in the government sector. You quoting the list you have demonstrates nothing apart from what is more than likely children of the privileged doing well.

16 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

School.png.b2b49fa2d85dba3bf3070bc4af5e4a1f.png

baltimore high school student 0.13 gpa - Google Search

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Mentions universities but what were their schools before higher education. Nothing wrong with my reading comprehension. Again how many of these students are from an international or private school background? Can you answer this simple question? Education problems in Thailand are far more based in the government sector. You quoting the list you have demonstrates nothing apart from what is more than likely children of the privileged doing well.

If you read the links, it says where the kids went to school. 

The best high school in Thailand is a government school.

Triam Udom Suksa School - Wikipedia

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Seriously ... would you like to see their parent's tax returns also, and what car they drive.

My daughter didn't go to an international school here/TH.  Actually damn inexpensive high school, about 35k baht, all in for whole year.   Uni (top 5 for TH) wasn't much more, and she is on her way to early retirement in 20 yrs.   As stated earlier, good job, plus self employed, w/RE investment, and all of 24 yrs old.   And the little bi-atch lives in a 5+M baht condo.

Amazing when students apply themselves, at school, and in life.

15 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

What they need is a schools or education and teacher unions, yes? 

44 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

We can tick for tack all day if you want to use your point of U.S. 

Ive been to Phil, no family but for some work, family in New York. Chicago. L.A. Oakland all in the inner city public school. As for the metal detectors who cares once inside you there to learn and that is what my family did learn. 

Regardless of decline in U.S. the teacher are educated certified can teach any any International school in Thailand, which one of my cousins did years back in Chiang Mai. Teachet have more freedom to teach and speak out there is very little in Thailand reason Thai dont lead they follow.

My two nieces I referred to them their parent came from China, I help sponsor them with my parents. Both stay at my parents home for a year while working washing dishes they struck out on their own buying a affordable condo in Black ghetto area. They were harassed and push around daily when they haf their two girls attended predominate black student population. With 4.0 graded they got tested and accepted into a top public school in the country. This entire school is loaded with 4.0

Students and yes they have metal detectors or police on compass yet they learn and got scholarships to Stanford.

Thailand public government schools the poor the majority cant do what you do or live where you live they dont have the option. In my village Thai not a gate community I see kids 5 walking around during the day because family cant afford to senf more than one to school not even money for the uniforms.

My Thai wife was such a case big family she was 5th after a few years she was yank what she learn came from her older brother and sister.

Public government school in general Thailand id going nowhere for the masses. Nowhere sadly!

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Ive been to Phil, no family but for some work, family in New York. Chicago. L.A. Oakland all in the inner city public school. As for the metal detectors who cares once inside you there to learn and that is what my family did learn. 

Regardless of decline in U.S. the teacher are educated certified can teach any any International school in Thailand, which one of my cousins did years back in Chiang Mai. Teachet have more freedom to teach and speak out there is very little in Thailand reason Thai dont lead they follow.

My two nieces I referred to them their parent came from China, I help sponsor them with my parents. Both stay at my parents home for a year while working washing dishes they struck out on their own buying a affordable condo in Black ghetto area. They were harassed and push around daily when they haf their two girls attended predominate black student population. With 4.0 graded they got tested and accepted into a top public school in the country. This entire school is loaded with 4.0

Students and yes they have metal detectors or police on compass yet they learn and got scholarships to Stanford.

Thailand public government schools the poor the majority cant do what you do or live where you live they dont have the option. In my village Thai not a gate community I see kids 5 walking around during the day because family cant afford to senf more than one to school not even money for the uniforms.

My Thai wife was such a case big family she was 5th after a few years she was yank what she learn came from her older brother and sister.

Public government school in general Thailand id going nowhere for the masses. Nowhere sadly!

No tick for tack, as you simply prove my point, students that apply themselves, can reach their goals.   Those that don't, will be left behind, as the system, any system, doesn't care.   Fairly obvious when you can have drop out rates of 25-50%, if not more, as one member pointed out.

TH no different than any other country or students applying themselves.    My daughter has friends, many going to same or other Bangkok Uni s, but instead of getting the internships while there on last year, then a job and working at a successful life, they partied on, and simply returned to their family & friends back in Isan (Udon Thani), that doesn't provide much for job opportunities.   If they were going to do that, they could have saved their parents a few baht, and simply went to the local Rajabhat University .

40 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

So which of the "Nearly all are professional , Doctor, Lawyers, my niece two girls 18,22, both got full scholarships at Stanford..." ended up teaching Chiang Mai? 

Incidentally, McDonnell Douglas closed up long before Elon Musk's US startup, so how long was your "cousin" unemployed between the two?  

2 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Part of education is challenging the teacher, unfortunately they are not encouraged to do this. Until challenges can be made by the students little progress will be made.

So, when the teacher says 2+2=4, you would encourage your kids to argue it's not? 

Were you an Education major?

Yellow Tail 

When my cousin took a leave of absence from Mac, he got married he and his wife traveled around the world for a year. Both were highly skilled in their profession when they returned I think he went back to Mac, after it closed they were still in the military business thereafter he went to NASA, and his wife hooked up with the Forty Niners medical team thereafter went back to being a researcher at UCSF.

Later he said he was going to work for a guy named Musk, one visit back home invited him to his home for dinner he had one of those sport-designed electric models being charged in his driveway the cost was 100,000 USD. I've read about movie stars buying these models.  He talked about the amount of stock he was getting each year bonus a few years later his wife quit work her salary was 6 figures from family rumors she became a real estate broker and started her own company selling luxury homes in Silicon Valley and investing. She didn't have to work 9-5. Today, their home is much larger all their kids are grown professionals who attended public schools but of course, public schools in Silicon Valley are a whole different ball game.

Edited by thailand49
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

So, when the teacher says 2+2=4, you would encourage your kids to argue it's not? 

Were you an Education major?

I would encourage them to question anything they are unsure of. Maybe you prefer being a member of the sheep family, in which case baaaaa

2 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

I would encourage them to question anything they are unsure of. Maybe you prefer being a member of the sheep family, in which case baaaaa

So, if they are not sure 2+2=4, you would encourage them to spend the day arguing with the teacher, rather than accepting it and moving on, yes? 

If not, please provide some examples of what the students should be arguing with the teachers about. 

You were an Education major, yes? 

Baaaaa indeed

21 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

No tick for tack, as you simply prove my point, students that apply themselves, can reach their goals.   Those that don't, will be left behind, as the system, any system, doesn't care.   Fairly obvious when you can have drop out rates of 25-50%, if not more, as one member pointed out.

TH no different than any other country or students applying themselves.    My daughter has friends, many going to same or other Bangkok Uni s, but instead of getting the internships while there on last year, then a job and working at a successful life, they partied on, and simply returned to their family & friends back in Isan (Udon Thani), that doesn't provide much for job opportunities.   If they were going to do that, they could have saved their parents a few baht, and simply went to the local Rajabhat University .

I think we might be on the same page.

Being a Chinese American I noticed the poor the masses and from your posting, you aren't talking about them. The more you talk the more it is clear you are talking about your situation and if you haven't heard it before " Bangkok is not part of Thailand " 

Thailand's funding is based on the size of the registered population and the size of Bangkok they are getting the majority of the money from the country.  From personal experience, the education system is far better in particular funding than the majority of the province which there are 72. I don't dispute the school system is far superior to why several Thai families I know from Pattaya after a certain age sent them to Bangkok.

Even Pattaya, in the economic zone, gets a waiver more money due to the tourists the government schools are far below what Bangkok has up country it is worse since the population is less thus less funding in general. Teachers can't teach anywhere they want they are assigned to each province from my understanding.

You speak of Bangkok and your daughter's situation I've seen it firsthand in general myself. My brother's oldest daughter half American half Thai thinks like a Chinese, not many parents in Thailand think the same as how the Chinese think in general education is life or death. In the city where I was born, parents would lie and steal for their kids to get into a certain public school and buy a house in that zip code so they could. I know a former City Supervisor who went to jail and lost his position cause he did this so his daughter could get into a particular school.

Call it what you want to label it but as an Asian stupid me I thought all Asians thought like me but not here it is keeping up with the Jones, partying and drinking is their priority. My Brother's daughter has a 4.0  average his first kid in the U.S. at 4 was told to be a genius and she attended a public school experiment where her whole class was segregated from the rest of the school population majority of their studies were beyond the teaching of teacher they brought in professionals from Stanford to teach the math. She was awarded a full scholarship to MIT, Harvard, and Yale, but instead wanted to stay close to home so she attended UC Berk.

What you talk about in Thailand seems to be part of their culture with the poor it is even worse with the poor today it is worse with the Internet.

In my son's situation, many around him finish school with basically a B.A. yet what is their best option 7//11 ?  His wife from a government school has a master's in accounting can she get a job at a Bank NO! reality you got to know someone and better come up with 200,000 baht to get that job!  This country top to bottom is nepotism and who you know.

My brother's daughter found that out a long time ago as she attends a full scholarship to a college in Bangkok " Rangit " She tells me she is out of a place student friends from better-off family doing as you noted. She once talked about getting into politics and said good luck she told me I was right I responded nothing I would like better for you to be PM, if I had the resources and an Army I would take over this country for you and hand it on a silver platter.

She indicated she has one year left when done she is leaving for China which she knows is part of her future but says she is Thai and hopefully she can return and make a difference one day. I tell her if not you got your U.S. passport because there isn't a future in Thailand. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/16/2024 at 5:47 PM, steven100 said:

I also blame the top dog of the education system .... he has obviously failed in teaching his managers, principles, supervisors, hired teachers, staff and anyone else ..to explain and instill in the kids that a good education is an absolute must and the reasons why.  

Last I read it's an ex cop linked to a high profile case who got the Minister of Education post.

On 1/16/2024 at 11:37 AM, KhunLA said:

Thai students bag 30 awards in international mathematics contest

Thai students have won 30 awards, including 11 gold medals, seven silvers and three bronzes, at the 2023 international mathematics contest held in Seoul, South Korea.

Thai students among top winners at Regeneron ISEF 2023

Thai student teams took home several awards, including top prize Regeneron Young Scientist Award from the Regeneron International Science and Engineering Fair (Regeneron ISEF 2023). Organized by the Regeneron and Society for Science, Regeneron ISEF 2023 was held from 13 to 19 May 2023 in Dallas, Texas, USA.

Thai Students Win Innovative Marketing Awards at Global Level

Two student teams from Chulalongkorn University in Thailand have won Gold Awards at the 2023 Global Brand Planning Competition (GBPC) in Singapore.

Two Thai students wins Diploma of Excellence at Stockholm Junior Water Prize 2021

Thai students win international award for space technology

A group of engineering students from Thailand’s   has won an international award in Japan for their space technology project, which aims to develop a special drug to protect human DNA from cosmic rays.

Thai student team wins Intel AI Global Impact Festival Grand Prize

NSTDA President Prof. Dr. Sukit Limpijumnong recently offered his congratulations to Thai student team consisting of Tanapat Charunworphan, Noppawit Chunram and Matt Tanthai Cosh for winning the global grand prize at the Intel AI Global Impact Festival 2022. The Prince Royal's College students won the award for the 13- to 17-year-old age group with their innovation called CS-M Tool.

THAI STUDENTS WIN FIVE MEDALS AT INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIAD ON ASTRONOMY AND ASTROPHYSICS, HOSTED BY THAILAND

But ask any one of these students to point out Luxembourg on a map and it would result in getting splinters in their fingers from scratching their heads.

1 hour ago, Surasak said:

But ask any one of these students to point out Luxembourg on a map and it would result in getting splinters in their fingers from scratching their heads.

Without knowing it's a really small country, I probably couldn't find it on a map.  I only know where it is about, because geography interests me, and I did work for an international airlines.

Why the hell does a Thai person need to know where Luxembourg is.  That's one useless piece of info.

I know if the world was to go sh!t, I'd seek out Thais before expats, as I know most of them can live off the land.  Electric would go out, Lotus's & Villa Markets would close and expats would starve.

Edited by KhunLA