Is it possible to have Wi-Fi and Ethernet (fiber) on same computer?

Daffy D

I'm thinking of setting up some security cameras around the house.

Seems most, if not all work on Wi-Fi. Problem is my computer does not have Wi-Fi, so is it possible to set up my computer to work with both, Wi-Fi and  Ethernet ?

I have a Wi-Fi modem/router that works with the various phones and tablets round the house. My PC works with LAN connection.

Seem to be lots of USB Wi-Fi adaptors available that you just pug in to get Wi-Fi

Is it really that simple, and could I just switch between the two as needed?

Linux for sure. On MacOS, I am not sure, even though I use it everyday. Never had that setup. Windows, I do not know.

The issue is one of routing inside the computer. The OS must know which network to use for what communications.

On Linux, this requires dealing with the OS routing tables. It is not for the faint of heart.

53 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

I'm thinking of setting up some security cameras around the house.

Seems most, if not all work on Wi-Fi. Problem is my computer does not have Wi-Fi, so is it possible to set up my computer to work with both, Wi-Fi and  Ethernet ?

I have a Wi-Fi modem/router that works with the various phones and tablets round the house. My PC works with LAN connection.

Seem to be lots of USB Wi-Fi adaptors available that you just pug in to get Wi-Fi

Is it really that simple, and could I just switch between the two as needed?

Yes. 

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, digbeth said:

problem is that some brands of camera might only have apps for reviewing recording etc which requires a phone or tablet, not pc, better check with the camera that you are looking into buying if they support viewing from pc

Sensible answer for the second part it might well be possible to use an Android emulator (Bluestacks) to view via PC.

Also be aware many "WIFI enabled" devices only support 2.4G connection to the router and this sometimes causes issues wth routers that support 2.4 and 5G (And be aware 5G here does not refer to mobile 5G)

Edited by Negita43

48 minutes ago, timendres said:

Linux for sure. On MacOS, I am not sure, even though I use it everyday. Never had that setup. Windows, I do not know.

The issue is one of routing inside the computer. The OS must know which network to use for what communications.

On Linux, this requires dealing with the OS routing tables. It is not for the faint of heart.

On MacOS you can do that.

image.png.98aaa6a5704fb5eff2096677397608d0.png

33 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

On MacOS you can do that.

Cool. But how do you manage the routing over the different interfaces?

I always thought you had to deal with the OS routing tables, which is not in the UI that I see.

It is easy that you can use LAN and WLAN at the same time.

It is not a good idea to have a computer with LAN and WLAN connected at the same time. That only confuses the apps (and the user).

As mentioned above you should use i.e. a router from an internet provider which has LAN and WLAN. They are normally all on the same network. Any device on the LAN can see any device on the WLAN and the other way around.

If you don't want to use an existing router, then buy an Wireless Access Point (WLAN AP). That has a LAN port and provides wireless.

Repeat: Using multiple LAN and or WLAN ports on one PC is technically possible. But is has to be configured correctly and that is something most people won't know. 

• Like 1

Having multiple paths to your network router is not an issue at all.... at least on a Mac.  Thankfully, I've completely healed from the damage that Windows inflicted on me and no longer remember much about that mess.

Change the order of the network services your Mac uses

If you connect to the internet or a network in several different ways (using Wi-Fi or Ethernet, for example), you can change the order of the network connections your computer tries when you connect.

If you have multiple active connections, your computer tries the one at the top of the list first, then tries the others in descending order.

You can’t change the order of virtual private network (VPN) connections because they already take priority over non-VPN connections.

Edited by gamb00ler

10 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

I've completely healed from the damage that Windows inflicted on me and no longer remember much about that mess.

You must be very vulnerable then. No mental damage to me after using Windows from the start. 

For me, Linux & Mac are a nightmare.

YES, you can have WiFi and LAN connections at the same time, and Windows sorts it all out for you.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

speedify.com - allows you to combine different internet connections :)

Thanks for the thought, but it's not free and I don't really want to be paired with the wife and kids devices :w00t:

13 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

If you have multiple active connections, your computer tries the one at the top of the list first, then tries the others in descending order.

I think you will find that the Mac will prioritise the connection with the highest data throughput, it is quite comfortable using both wired and wireless connections at the same time. Most of my security cameras are wired, 2 are wireless only, the Mac sees both.

3 hours ago, digbeth said:

if your computer's connected to the internet via the same router that 'gives' wifi to other devices in your hose it's on the same network and you don't need to do anything, you can add the wifi cameras to your existing network, no need to get wifi working on the pc 

Yes I do want to get to see the cameras on my PC. 

7 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

Yes I do want to get to see the cameras on my PC. 

You do NOT need WiFi on the PC provided everything is talking through the same router.

99.99999% of domestic routers use the same subnet for WiFi and wired networks by default (unless you set it up not to), it "should" just work.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, timendres said:

Cool. But how do you manage the routing over the different interfaces?

I always thought you had to deal with the OS routing tables, which is not in the UI that I see.

I use different connections for different purposes, mostly for VMWare Fusion, as the 2 networks are connected to different routers, on different subnets. There's selection in each VM settings which adapter I wish to use.

I had (not using now) load balancing between 2 different telcos, which was done by using a Microtik NLB. Relatively cheap thing, quite reliable, but not the easiest to set up. My purpose was to have automatic switching between 2 telcos in case one of them went down... until I realised they both connected through the same exchange and it was that exchange that had issue. Since it had only 1 Gbps ports, and routers are 2.5 Gbps it caused significant drop in speed, hence I've removed it now.

The UI that I shared just shows all connections you can create and enable, and order in which they are used. If using Ethernet, and having other Apple equipment, it is recommended to enable both Ethernet and Wifi (even if you don't have Wifi connected to any router) so it can be used ad-hoc for AirDrop, for instance.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Crossy said:

You do NOT need WiFi on the PC provided everything is talking through the same router.

99.99999% of domestic routers use the same subnet for WiFi and wired networks by default (unless you set it up not to), it "should" just work.

Agree, but I'm having trouble getting the App on my PC which is Windows, so can't access or control the camera.

Seems the APP only works with Android. Maybe possible to use an Android simulator. 

It's all getting a bit complicated. Getting a bit to old for this, maybe just forget the whole Idea :wacko:

Ah, understand.

Before going down the emulator route (Bluestacks works pretty well) do check the camera manufacturer's website, our cameras have a PC application :smile:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Ah, understand.

Before going down the emulator route (Bluestacks works pretty well) do check the camera manufacturer's website, our cameras have a PC application :smile:

+1. Or (as in our case) can be accessed via a Web interface.

• Like 1

The main issue with the vast majority of the wifi security cams available now, it seems including your FNKvision, is that you must use their app to interact with them. This means that you are not able to organise what I consider to be the most important function, i.e. recording motion activated images over FTP to a NAS or other device on your LAN. This used to be standard until the mobile app 'ease of use' method of management and the forcing of storage on SD card or in the cloud, with it's associated security issues and costs. I have had to resort to building my own cams with raspberry Pis running motioneye to get localised, minimal data storage and full control over image manipulation.

• Like 1