Your opinion of eradication of dogs

3 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

So, the result is that you do not want them to be culled, but instead suggesting a system that is never going to work.

Not true, It has worked in many countries and it will work here. We just came back from a summer vacation to a southern European country that in the past had a similar problem,

We spend there over a month. We saw perhaps one one or two stray (or we thought were stray) dogs. 

We asked about it and we were told that every municipality offered free sterilization service for both dogs and cats . The person we were talking about us showed us a cat, she said the ear was clipped to show that the cat was caught . sterilized and released. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Not true, It has worked in many countries and it will work here. We just came back from a summer vacation to a southern European country that in the past had a similar problem,

We spend there over a month. We saw perhaps one one or two stray (or we thought were stray) dogs. 

We asked about it and we were told that every municipality offered free sterilization service for both dogs and cats . The person we were talking about us showed us a cat, she said the ear was clipped to show that the cat was caught . sterilized and released. 

If you think so. I think the mentality and behavior pattern here are very different from other countries. That´s why I believe it will not work.

Just now, Gottfrid said:

If you think so. I think the mentality and behavior pattern here are very different from other countries. That´s why I believe it will not work.

People here , especially in issan, don't have a lot of money , no way they would spend the money we do to take their dog to the vet, it need to be made free or of low cost to them. 

We have 5 dogs all rescue dogs and all female. Do you know why all female?

Because no one in this area wants female dogs, because female dogs have babies. They don't care about their male dogs, not their problem. 

Mentalities change.

Why do you think Thais behave one way in Thailand and a totally different way when they migrate to a western country? Did their DNA change? No!

expectation of them changed and people live up to expectations. Put people in a perfectly clean mall and no one (or very few) would throw refuge on the floor. Put the same people in an environment where there is garbage everywhere and they will have no problem contributing to the problem. It is a well known concept in sociology. 

Mentalities change , it was not long ago where the concept of the lovable drunk was all over TV in the US, remember Dean Martin and Foster Brooks ,or do you remember the Maldoro man?  You don't see that anymore,

Mentalities change all time time. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, sirineou said:

People here , especially in issan, don't have a lot of money , no way they would spend the money we do to take their dog to the vet, it need to be made free or of low cost to them. 

We have 5 dogs all rescue dogs and all female. Do you know why all female?

Because no one in this area wants female dogs, because female dogs have babies. They don't care about their male dogs, not their problem. 

Mentalities change.

Why do you think Thais behave one way in Thailand and a totally different way when they migrate to a western country? Did their DNA change? No!

expectation of them changed and people live up to expectations. Put people in a perfectly clean mall and no one (or very few) would throw refuge on the floor. Put the same people in an environment where there is garbage everywhere and they will have no problem contributing to the problem. It is a well known concept in sociology. 

Mentalities change , it was not long ago where the concept of the lovable drunk was all over TV in the US, remember Dean Martin and Foster Brooks ,or do you remember the Maldoro man?  You don't see that anymore,

Mentalities change all time time. 

Sure, you got a point there. However, these people are still in Thailand and will not be able to use the benefits of behavior in a western country. Also, mentalities change with time and with new experiences as the knowledge of other parts of the world. Not by a forced system. Only examine people working here. Something that can be done quickly and at the same time hold high quality. Here you have to choose if you want it quickly, and then take the bad quality factor that comes with such a decision. Alternatively you can go for quality, which is almost impossible, and wait long time. Have you ever told a Thai person to do something quickly? They just look at you and grin or get angry. Something that means, it takes the time it takes.

The result of comparing like that, is that we understand that it´s not only to change and create a system. Rules, laws and systems are not followed here. The only thing is long education and wiat the time it takes for change and understanding, as well as being happy and acceptance of the change.

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

I find it very strange.  When I lived in Thailand, indeed I found many dogs to be a problem.  I had to carry a stick when I went for a morning walk.  They barked continuously and were aggressive and were a real threat to my health!

Perhaps they objected to being hit with a stick. Dogs are funny like that!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

The result of comparing like that, is that we understand that it´s not only to change and create a system. Rules, laws and systems are not followed here.

You are right about that 

Bo problem exists independently and as such there needs to be a comprehensive reaction that consists both of stick and carrot. 

Both the sterilization a and culling options will fail if there is no follow up . 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I personally witnessed a Thai man die when he tried to drive his motorbike around a soi dog sleeping in the road. He startled the dog, the dog jumped and collided with the bike, the guy fell to the road and broke his neck.

But hey - I guess he forgot to put on his amulet that day. Sum num na.

That happened to a manager at the TQ in Pattaya many years ago.  Crashed avoiding a dog, made it to work but succumbed to a brain injury later, is how the story was told to me.  

One night I was standing near Ronpo Market, Jomtien 2nd Rd. A Thai man with a motorbike food vending setup rode past and a soi dog went after him viciously. The Thai guy was even more aggressive and went after the dog with a steel rod.  The dog escaped, but I wish he'd bashed its skull in.  Most dogs are fine but ones like that need to be culled on the spot.  A dog like that can get ahold of someone's calf muscle and instantly hamstring a person. There's no recovery from that injury. 

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

The dogs  don't bother us.Almost 20 years in Thailand , other than the occasional barking  i never had a problem 

3-4 a week we go for a 7-10 km bicycle ride, We take the back roads . No traffic to worry about, quiet , and beautiful country.  Plantty of dogs on our way many from surrounding farms, some times the bark at us. but not one of them has ever bothered us. 

Of course it helps that we pay insurance money to the local dog mafia, :laugh:

image.png.b715b0f9a23ee215a2e0016d3b8bb554.png

Yep.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, connda said:

I work with strays in my Tambon.  Which includes working with two different Buddhist temples where I help provide food, medicine, and funds to spay and neuter the residents.  I have a great working relationship with the abbots and on occasion I'll home a pup with the temple.  We can control them there.  Then I have a 10 dogs of my own.  Only my first two dogs were adopted.  The rest are strays that I've personally homed.  All my neighbors have dogs (that run free - mine are fenced), and the village head lives across the street.  I don't receive any complaints.

Honestly.  If all of you who really dislike the stray issue would start to work with your local village, khet, or temple to spay and neuter dogs then you would be part of the solution.  Instead you b**** and complain.  I challenge every one of you who has problems with strays.  Take it on yourself to work with a temple or a village head to have at least 1 dog spayed or neutered out of your own pocket every year.  More if you can.

It's strange.  The 'stray dog' (many are not strays) issue in Thailand has its roots in Buddhism ethics:  Not killing and having compassion for self-aware beings.

I don't like to jump on the "well find another country" bandwagon, but if you willing choose to live in a Buddhist country then the stray animal issue is going to be in every one of those countries as well.  Learn to accept it and work with dogs and other stray animals instead of despising them.

Who are you to tell me and others what to do and work with? Do your blessed duty if you wish. As you pointed out in your post, your have your dogs fenced, but others have not. See, your project is failing. :-)

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Confused 3

Most soi dogs are a nuisance. Most are mangy, some are disease ridden, many are hungry, tired, and lead terrible lives of desperation. Some attack people, some terrorize neighborhoods. Many harass the domestic dogs, and cause them to bark all night long, like in my neighborhood. Nobody wants to do anything about it. Culling is the answer. If they found a budget for it, they could do it Western style. Round up the dogs, clean them up, vaccinate them, and put them up for adoption. The ones who are not adopted after 60 days are simply put down.

Nothing cruel about it. Not doing something like this, is both cruel to the dogs and to the neighborhoods they infest.

The average dog bite cost alot money. A series of rabies shots, etc. And that is assuming someone was not hurt badly, like a small child. So, we should prioritize the health of mangy, miserable soi dogs over the well being of the human population?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

About a third of the soi dogs in my area in Pattaya (central urban) have collars. All are fed regularly. One stray cat nearby my place was captured and spayed. One old soi dog that hung around the local 7-11 had it's own food bowl and a water bowl out the front of the 7-11. I think the wing riders took care of it but it's now been removed.

If you want to see starving and mangy stray dogs, try the Philippines.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

We live in Buddha land. Being the dog eradicator means coming back as as cockroach.

for some that might be an improvement:tongue:  and on the positive side in the event of a nuclear apocalypse your survival chance increases substantially, that's o fcourse   if you don't get stepped on by a 5 leg mutant. 

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

This one seems to be giving me a run for my money, so don't despair there still a chance for you to take the gold, . 

Yes please. I do not even like Goofy or Pluto. Maybe it comes from me being attacked by a dog when I was a 3 year old.

17 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

Yer your so right--humans do not deserve to have such a wonderful faithful animal that would give its life up to defend you.

Second most stupid post IMO. Just because you and Siri love dogs doesn't mean we all must do so.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, connda said:

Start killing dogs and you'll find yourself in legal trouble and possibly deported.

Who said that we would start killing dogs? Just that some of us request the government to give the order.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Yes I have used the word "eradication" but it means to finish cull kill the stray dogs in places like Isaan 

Obviously I suffer from PTSD from these dog attacks and this morning I'm at the bus stop (Australia) waiting to go to work when I start thinking of the mutts back in Thailand that tried to attack me on the street in Isaan 

The bus starts to arrive and I just start thinking of those dogs and I just shout out *Fxck them !!!

And people at the bus stop let me on the bus first and I tell them I am shouting at the nasty dogs not them ! 

Back in 2017 I went to a remote village with a Thai lady ,I decided to walk by myself to a temple to look at the memorial graves statues 

I could hear barking dogs in the distance but never took much notice

Soon a whole pack arrived barking mutts with spit hanging off their mouths 

Threatened me with words of threats 

Luckily a monk who what was going on .

Later I'm in the back of a motorcycle trailer in the side seat only to have another passing mutt try to attack me 

Your thoughts on culling of these dogs that are angry 

Im for it , there are more dogs than people living in my MoobanMa.

At times during the wee hours of the night , you can hear a concert performed by what seems like it was a reenactment of a werwolf movie.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

The most dangerous dogs are those who have a stupid and bad and above all aggressive owner and the dog resents this and thinks that it is his duty to attack because his owner wants it that way, this is true in every country, this is part of the psychology of the domestic dog.

The free dogs that I see are well cared for with enough food and water and therefore are not dangerous to anyone.

Despite what has been written above, Thais treat their dogs well.

The OP definitely has a psychological problem that only a psychiatrist can help him with.

• Thanks 1

Thailand does have a dog problem no question about that but many I think are the result of unfit owners. Anyone who has a dog should have to take care of the animal not let it run around. Should have all the vaccinations required and anyone ignoring the requirements have aa heavy fine imposed on them. No excuses to be accepted.

I see many dogs, some in bad condition due to neglect of their owner, with collars on and it is not a good thing to see. Until the owners are made to take reasonability for them then I cant see any way other than putting them down. A very sad option yes but possibly better for the animal.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1