Confusing situation

My current passport expires on March 8, while my extension expires on March 7.

I have to do a 90 day report on February 7. For the past few years I have done my reports online.

Since my embassy has confirmed that passport renewals take about 2 weeks, as advised by my embassy I intended to do apply for passport renewal at the very end of this month, so I could do extension renewal and move old visa to new passport about mid February.

In the meantime I could still do my online 90 day report. But now I read that those reports may get rejected if your extension renewal is within the next 90 days.

So that may cause an issue, because my new passport may not be returned before February 7, and going to immigration with a passport that expires on March 8 will also not the right solution I assume.

So what would be the best procedure?

• Haha 1

Send your report by mail,passport not required just copies,,also try to report online, it matters not if both are approved.

Renew your passport ASAP

Edited by norbra
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'd pay the fine on the 90 day report if I were .....it's only 1600 baht, and there can be no complaints, as we all know  the rules and can easily calculate when it is time to renew our passports. 

• Confused 2

52 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Since my embassy has confirmed that passport renewals take about 2 weeks, as advised by my embassy I intended to do apply for passport renewal at the very end of this month,

Renew the passport ASAP (like yesterday), that's important.

53 minutes ago, BenStark said:

I have to do a 90 day report on February 7.

Do it online within the days you are allowed to do so. If it gets rejected due to the <90 day thing you mention (unlikely), that's unimportant.

• Thumbs Up 1

It matters not when your extension or passport expires

you still need to do 90 day report, which will likely be

valid to expiry of old passport.

Then when you get new passport go to immigration 

transfer stamps, get a new extension and reset the

90 day report......going to be a long day.   

16 hours ago, retarius said:

I'd pay the fine on the 90 day report if I were .....it's only 1600 baht, and there can be no complaints, as we all know  the rules and can easily calculate when it is time to renew our passports. 

The fine is 2000 baht (5000 baht if caught and 200 baht a day until paid)

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Forget concerns with the 90 day report.

Renew passport asap.

Pretty silly to cut it this fine with permission of stay ending soon ish. 

As I see it, he is not cutting it fine. He have almost 50 days left, and it only takes 14 days to get a new passport.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, rwill said:

I recently did a 90 day report online about 30 days before my next extension.  It was approved.  

Mine gets approved within 7 days, so I'm submitting later and later, as seems to be consistent time now of approval.   I try to schedule it, so I don't need to do one right before extension, and IO does one then.

Luckily have a local Imm office 12 kms from house that is usually empty, and an excuse for a nice scooter ride.  So doing in person isn't much of an inconvenience.   Can't get any easier online though, especially when O&A.

Edited by KhunLA

18 hours ago, BenStark said:

I have to do a 90 day report on February 7. For the past few years I have done my reports online.

Since my embassy has confirmed that passport renewals take about 2 weeks, as advised by my embassy I intended to do apply for passport renewal at the very end of this month, so I could do extension renewal and move old visa to new passport about mid February.

In the meantime I could still do my online 90 day report. But now I read that those reports may get rejected if your extension renewal is within the next 90 days.

So that may cause an issue, because my new passport may not be returned before February 7, and going to immigration with a passport that expires on March 8 will also not the right solution I assume.

I suppose it may vary with each immigration office but I did my online 90 day with Ratchaburi immigration about 10 days ago, extension valid till 23 March and 90 day approved with next report date due on 7 April.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BenStark said:

Just keep on doing your 90 day Report online, when approved and you have your new Passport go to Immigration and transfer the Stamps.

1 hour ago, Lite Beer said:

Get your passport done now.

Why NOW, when my embassy confirms it will be delivered 2 weeks after requesting.

It isn't that passports are cheap and unlimited valid, so you just cut off a few months, is it?

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

From any Country? 

What? No, not from any country, but apparently from his country and embassy and that is what is on question here.

1 minute ago, BenStark said:

What have other countries to do with this?

I have only 1 nationality, so I'm not gonna apply for passports from ANY country

100% right. Sometimes you just have to overlook people that think everything has to do with their own country. Unfortunately that is always UK and US on this forum.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, BenStark said:

It isn't that passports are cheap and unlimited valid, so you just cut off a few months, is it?

My pp has two full years till expiry.

I'm applying next week for renewal as due to frequent travel it's bit worn.

Many passports are valid for 10 years.

In the same way folk do their extensions early many would not cut it as fine as you are.

Demonstrated by replies in your thread. 

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

My pp has two full years till expiry.

I'm applying next week for renewal as due to frequent travel it's bit worn.

Many passports are valid for 10 years.

In the same way folk do their extensions early many would not cut it as fine as you are.

Demonstrated by replies in your thread. 

If you want to waste 2 years on your passport, then that is your personal choice.

If I remember correctly, you are also the one who always suggest wasting money on agents, while it perfectly can be done personally.

My question in the OP was in regard to the 90 day report posts that recently popped up on this forum, not the validity of my passport

17 minutes ago, BenStark said:

If you want to waste 2 years on your passport, then that is your personal choice.

I pointed out that my pp is well worn and renewal early is no big deal.

The point is how much is your pp? $400 for 10 years 

Renew it few weeks early as you plan vs one year early is peanuts. 

If I remember correctly, you are also the one who always suggest wasting money on agents, while it perfectly can be done personally.

That's factually incorrect. I suggest agents when there is an issue.

Always suggest do it yourself with own money as I do for my extensions retirement. 

My question in the OP was in regard to the 90 day report posts that recently popped up on this forum, not the validity of my passport

Just do the 90 day report 15 days prior to due date.

Do it via mail if you have concerns. 

Thread about nothing really

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Thread about nothing really

So you are in denial about the multiple posts on this forum from people whose report was rejected because their extension expired within the next 90 days?

4 minutes ago, BenStark said:

So you are in denial about the multiple posts on this forum from people whose report was rejected because their extension expired within the next 90 days?

Show me one that's not from online application.

TM47 can be made via mail and in person. 

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Show me one that's not from online application.

TM47 can be made via mail and in person. 

Not interested in your cherry picking, the posts are from people who did it online, same as I do for 2 years already.

Because nobody reported HERE mail and in person were rejected, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

23 minutes ago, BenStark said:

you are also the one who always suggest wasting money on agents, while it perfectly can be done personally.

Wasting money? I understand how you might feel that way. I lived in an outer province and did my own for 15 years. Sometimes, there were minor changes such as photo, or needing an extra copy of this or that.. nothing I couldn't do but required leaving Imm to find a copy place or whatever and adding a little extra time and paperwork. 

Now that I live where there are agents, I am so appreciative that they do all the paperwork and certainly properly, for me. I know everything will be done perfectly w/o my involvement or writing my address here and there 10x... My total involvement is signing the completed forms as a young lady flips the pages for me and then showing up at Imm where my agent has already cleared approval and all I have to do is smile and I get my passport back. 

All stress is removed. 

For me, the fee for this is nominal and meaningless. I won't have to skimp on any meals. 

ps - I choose not to change the oil on my car either. So, fr me and others, it is not wasting money but paying fro a service. 

7 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Because nobody reported HERE mail and in person were rejected, doesn't mean it didn't happen

You are missing the point.

If you do it online or via mail and it's rejected then when you attend immigration for you upcoming extension just show immigration officer the application and rejection and (almost 100%) the io will do the report on the spot. 

Or go make the 90 report in person when the window opens and all done.

Mountain out of mole hill. 

IMO it is stupid to even put off a passport renewal for one day, especially when there is a question mark over the last 6 month's validity of a passport in terms of visas etc.

What happens to the plan if the normal two weeks blow out to four or five, and the OP is scrambling to get his visa stamps transferred to the new passport at the same time as his extension?

Why do people insist on having self-inflicted nightmares, when a little forward planning could avoid all the angst?

• Confused 1

59 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

IMO it is stupid to even put off a passport renewal for one day, especially when there is a question mark over the last 6 month's validity of a passport in terms of visas etc.

What happens to the plan if the normal two weeks blow out to four or five, and the OP is scrambling to get his visa stamps transferred to the new passport at the same time as his extension?

Why do people insist on having self-inflicted nightmares, when a little forward planning could avoid all the angst?

Not all Countries are the same.  I agree with those that say the OP is cutting things fine, but otherwise it is sensible to use a decent timeframe for renewal.  It used to be, for example, that UK passports renewed within six months of the expiry date would get ten years starting from the old expiry date.  No loss of days, weeks, or months by applying early to ensure all done before next travel.  Following a quietly unannounced change UK passports are now valid for ten years from the date of issue.  Not a huge issue, but a stealth price hike of, potentially, up to 20%.  If the UK turned applications round as quickly as the OP's country, two weeks, then less of a biggie - but take five or six weeks, so adding in some safety margin, about three months would be a prudent timeframe IMV.

PH

14 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

- but take five or six weeks, so adding in some safety margin, about three months would be a prudent timeframe IMV.

Agree with your post..

To put it in perspective....Oz 10 yr pp is one of the more expensive pp  - 11000b.

When you work it out, costs me ~ 90b a month for my Oz pp

Talk about penny wise pound foolish,

folk are well advised renew pp with months remaining on validity