Advice how to deal.

Mui8899

Good morning: I'm asking for advice because I believe I'm doing the right thing and I don't want to have problems. A person purchased something from me, but the item arrived in poor condition. I am willing to refund the amount to the buyer (even if I am not at fault) and I have sent multiple messages asking for the bank account details for the refund. But he doesn't want to give me the details and actually wants to  report me to the police for fraud, when I, and I'm honest, sent the item in good condition. What can I do?

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

How does he want to get the refund? Did he send the item back to you? Keep copies of the messages you send and the replies.

No. He sent me a photo with the items and the scratches on it, saying its is not the one we dealed for.

3 minutes ago, stoner said:
14 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
22 minutes ago, Mui8899 said:

saying its is not the one we dealed for.

"Dealed for"?   That makes it sound as though it was more than the usual online vendor/buyer situation.

poster may not be a native speaker ? 

Maybe, but his OP is written in near as dammit perfect English with no indication that he is not 100% au fait with the language.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Mui8899 said:

Good morning: I'm asking for advice because I believe I'm doing the right thing and I don't want to have problems. A person purchased something from me, but the item arrived in poor condition. I am willing to refund the amount to the buyer (even if I am not at fault) and I have sent multiple messages asking for the bank account details for the refund. But he doesn't want to give me the details and actually wants to  report me to the police for fraud, when I, and I'm honest, sent the item in good condition. What can I do?

Easy-peasy.

Send message to buyer.  "Please return item in original shipping box with all original packing materials for full refund."  Whether that includes shipping is up to you.

If he opened the box and found the item damaged, he should have some photographic evidence.  If the box was damaged, he must have taken a photo PRIOR to opening.  That's standard practice for anyone purchasing mail order.  Then the seller can negotiate with the shipping company for compensation.

As he immediately noticed the damage, he certainly must have kept all the original packing materials to send back.

• Thumbs Up 1

Was it shipping damage? If so, I deal with this all the time for my work. You must take photos and make a claim with the shipper (assuming is was something like DHL or FEDEX).  There must be photos of the damaged shipping box, etc. If no shipping damage, then do as others have suggested. 

I would make a copy of all your email messages to him, offering a refund and him either not replying or refusing and I’d go one better I would go to the police first and report this saying that he’s making a false accusation and threatening you by going to the police, even though you made full disclosure on a refund I wouldn’t really worry about it too much. TIT. 

On 1/19/2024 at 12:27 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Maybe, but his OP is written in near as dammit perfect English with no indication that he is not 100% au fait with the language.

Maybe he's quoting the customer verbatim?

"Aha" I hear you say "Why didn't he put it in quotation marks if that was the case?"

"I really don't know, what's your problem?" I reply.......but not actually giving a ****.

After a minute or so re-writing I move to another thread, forgetting about this one.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 1/19/2024 at 11:40 AM, Mui8899 said:

Send him an email and advise him that you are willing to do the exchange at YOUR local police station if he wants.   Or you can set up a location that is favourable to you to meet him in public.

It's possible that, with all the scammers about, the buyer is reluctant to give you his bank details (he may not be experienced in internet purchases).

As others have said, normal practice would be to make the refund once the item has been returned. So you would need these details at some point. When returned, you can make an educated guess as to whether the item was damaged in shipping or by the buyer. If he refuses/can't return the item, maybe he has onsold the item or is trying to scam you.

Maybe you could ask him how he wants the refund made to him? Does he want a replacement? Is he close enough to arrange a meeting to exchange/refund cash? Does he want a bank cheque?

How did the buyer pay for the item if not through a Bank Transfer ? - don't you have the details already. 

You have done the right thing - You sold an item and the buyer does not agree with your assesment of the condition of the item, or it was damaged in transit etc... You have offered a refund. 

Obviously you cannot give a refund unless you have received the item. 

The buyer now falls into one of two categories:

- Honest but paranoid and suspects you may be trying to scam him.

- A scammer who is trying to scam you. 

As everyone has already mentioned - you have documented proof that you have offered a refund.

The next step is his, the ball is already out of your court.

On 1/19/2024 at 11:40 AM, Mui8899 said:

Doesn’t help with your question re how to send him a refund but is it a certainty that the damaged item he received is the actual item you sent him?

Could be that he already had a similar item (which has been scratched) and he’s trying to pull a fast one.