First Batch Of 2,000 Cattle Being Exported To Vietnam

webfact

image.jpeg

THE FIRST BATCH of 2,000 cattle is scheduled for export from Thailand to Vietnam next month, a government official confirmed today (Jan.19).

The 2,000 cattle are currently being groomed for next month’s shipment on seagoing liners from Petchaburi to Quy Nhon in Vietnam, according to the official of the Ministry of Agriculture & Cooperatives.

Petchaburi is home to 100-plus livestock farms which currently raise a combined total of about 8,500 cattle with many more being anticipated in the future.

The export-bound livestock will be officially certified by the Department of Livestock Development as farm produce free of leanness-enhancing agents, foot and mouth diseases and lumpy skin diseases, the official said.

By Thai Newsroom Reporters

Top: Deputy Agriculture & Cooperatives Minister Chaiya Promma visiting a livestock farm in Petchaburi. Photo: Matichon

Full story: THAI NEWSROOM 2024-01-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Get rid of it.  My family only eats Australian, US or NZ Beef and if buying in bulk it's cheaper than Thai beef. 

We tried the local product when we first moved here.  Even the poor old dog wouldn't touch the stuff.

• Sad 2
  • Love It 1
  • Agree 1

I remember when we imported 1'200 cattle from Australia into Thailand some 30+ years ago when I was in freight forwarding. Trust me, that livestock was "the real thing" which might not be applicable to what is shown in this postings photograph ........

• Like 1

I try not to eat any beef here because it is always so horribly hard and endlessly chewy, and that goes for Aussie and NZ beef too. My wife very occasionally gets an inner fillet at the market. Most of this cut is sold to restaurants, so most of the time it is not available but the smallholder knows my wife likes it so buys it when it is available. Even that is lacklustre.

Even so called Wagyu beef is awful here.

On the upside the pork is fantastic I think and the chicken and duck are ok.  

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, mikebell said:

The only cattle I see hereabouts are gaunt sad-looking specimens with ribs showing through under-nourishment.

Unlike the well-fed cattle down Walking street... They seem to have more meat on the bone than 10 years ago.

• Sad 1

sawiwal

7 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

I remember when we imported 1'200 cattle from Australia into Thailand some 30+ years ago when I was in freight forwarding. Trust me, that livestock was "the real thing" which might not be applicable to what is shown in this postings photograph ........

They are "real cattle "Red Brahman beef bulls, breeding originally come from the USA, they will probably be used by the locals in Vietnam to improve they local stock.

Yes, Thailand did import a lot of dairy cattle 30-40 years ago some from Australia dairy, not beef breeds, and a lot from New Zealand, the cattle where Sahiwal x Frisian, idea was the Sahiwal are a tropical breed, cross them with a dairy breed will give you cattle with some resistance to the heat and a big problem tic fever, had a lot in my area known in Australia, as Australian Sahiwal locally as ASKB, Australian Sahiwal kicking Bar Stewards ,and could they kick.

This is not new exporting cattle from Thailand to Vietnam,10 years ago a lot of Thai dairy heifers were exported to Vietnam, to increase the dairy herds in Vietnam. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

After moving here I tried beef occasionally but gave up due to the poor quality and I wasn't going to pay for imported beef.

I no longer miss it and mainly eat chicken, some pork and fish.

Every now and again i treat myself to a steak at a restaurant......I have found quite good ones here and there. Yes, can be a bit over-priced. But I do enjoy it and feel I have missed them!

These cattle are Brahman cross and their quality of meat is not what I would say great. Aberdeen-Angus or Hereford beef cattle produce the best beef for steaks.  As far as Thai-French beef you buy here,  it's like chewing on a leather sandal ....  those who think otherwise need to go out and order a good Hereford rump or rib eye steak and then you'll know what proper beef tastes like.  

19 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Unlike the well-fed cattle down Walking street... They seem to have more meat on the bone than 10 years ago.

Are you talking about Pattaya police?  They used to have tight fitting uniforms in the crotch area; now the crotch is overhung by the belly.  This statement is based on a survey of the one cop I have seen in the last four months.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, mikebell said:

Are you talking about Pattaya police?  They used to have tight fitting uniforms in the crotch area; now the crotch is overhung by the belly.  This statement is based on a survey of the one cop I have seen in the last four months.

I am getting concerned by what you do in your spare time!

As I am the founder of the Official Pattaya Cop Spotting Club, I go into town three times a week; admittedly before the hours of darkness.  I play table-tennis to an ultra-high level in the over 80's division; the other days I go to the gym.

On 1/20/2024 at 9:01 PM, kickstart said:

sawiwal

They are "real cattle "Red Brahman beef bulls, breeding originally come from the USA, they will probably be used by the locals in Vietnam to improve they local stock.

Yes, Thailand did import a lot of dairy cattle 30-40 years ago some from Australia dairy, not beef breeds, and a lot from New Zealand, the cattle where Sahiwal x Frisian, idea was the Sahiwal are a tropical breed, cross them with a dairy breed will give you cattle with some resistance to the heat and a big problem tic fever, had a lot in my area known in Australia, as Australian Sahiwal locally as ASKB, Australian Sahiwal kicking Bar Stewards ,and could they kick.

This is not new exporting cattle from Thailand to Vietnam,10 years ago a lot of Thai dairy heifers were exported to Vietnam, to increase the dairy herds in Vietnam. 

Very interesting professional feedback, thank you for that. The cattle then, back in the day, was for milk production (so we were told) and, not being experts in cattle to start with, we assume that the programme was successful as milk is readily available everywhere these days. Unclear though, how much is rehydrated milk powder and how much is locally milked dairy ;-)