Pink Id card for foreigners

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This opens up another can of worms type debate...

Thai law (somewhere) states that "everyone has to carry around government issued ID which has a photo"... OR, has to be able to "show Government issued Photo ID within a 'reasonable' timeframe"....

For those of us 'within' the province of issue the Pink ID serves that purpose....   this is where there exists a lack of clarity hence and ongoing debate, the Pink ID many of us carry states that we cannot travel outside of the area of issue unless we have alien ID, i.e. our passport, thus the Pink ID is superseded...    But, many of us do not carry our passports when out and about in an area outside of the province in which we are registered with the Pink ID.... 

Also, there have also been numerous flip-flopping announcements from various provinces stating it is not necessary to carry our passports, and a photocopy or photo of our passport on our phone is fine to prove ID, then there are other announcements contradicting that and back and forth...  I suspect the Chiefs of Police in their respective provinces make up there own regulations on this.

SO... Pink ID inside the province is sufficient, IMO... And outside of province of issue, a copy of the Passport on the Phone and if thats not good enough, being able to show a passport within a reasonable time frame (i.e. 1 hour is reasonable).

Again... all very vague and an absolute lack of clarity - but neither is it a huge deal, how often are we checked for our passport ?

Me - I've never been asked for it outside of Bangkok. In Bangkok, I've bene asked 3x and 2 of those times I refused and the BiB just went on their way, another they were awkward, wouldn't accept my DL (I didn't have Pink ID at the time) so ended up 'phoning a friend).. 

IMO - everything I know about Thailand indicates that latter situation was a possible shakedown, they wanted me to get out of a taxi, probably pee in a cup give a full search etc... seemed very much like a 'shakedown' and I'm sure they'd have demanded a fine for not carrying a passport after not being able to find anything else...  (luckily since then, such shakedowns became public knowledge and the BiB in the Sukhmivit area backed-off after the bad publicity)...

So there it is... at least IMO - Pink ID should be fine in area of issue unless the BiB are dodgy, in which case they'll look for anything. 
Outside of province, we just have to take our chance and hope they are fine with a Photocopy or photo on our phone as I'm not going to carry my passport when out on the pish.

Of stopped by immigration police, I doubt the pink ID would satisfy them as it says nothing about your visa status. For migrant workers it's different. 

Maybe you'll tell me that your visa is linked to your pink ID🤔

In my experience, immigration have no need or use of a pink ID card. 

I've yet to see anything in the law that states this pink ID is legal identification. 

You are on a national database but only to say you've got an address in Thailand. 

Many foreigners might regret getting such a useless card if the tax dept start going after foreign income. 

14 minutes ago, BigStar said:

If I pay the day rate, of course. :)

No, they ain't stupid. The pink card lacks my signature and, crucially, my gym membership expiration date. Moreover, it has no hole in it so that it can be hung on the board on a numbered hook in place of the key they gave me.

You're beginning to sound like @Neeranam now. He's had a baleful influence, obviously.

#2 in the line of responding posters "countering your claim that you 'need to have your gym membership card in your wallet too.'" Focus.

That seems incredibly inflexible...   If you forget your Gym membership card they will make you pay for the day..... Only because the card has your signature on it and a hole in it...    

Don't they have your expiration date on their computer ?....    this all seems as though you are making up excuses as to why you have to carry around additional cards - seems a bit exaggerated to me. 

22 minutes ago, BigStar said:
37 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No...I disagree with that completely

#2 in the line of responding posters "countering your claim that you 'need to have your gym membership card in your wallet too.'" Focus.

Ah... your comment was unclear and led me to a different conclusion... 

.. So by 'Here you are, #2' you meant...   'Here, in this thread you are #2 to respond'....       and not 'here, in Thailand, you are #2 status'... 

Lets write proper sentences shall we ???  (easier all around)...

5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Of stopped by immigration police, I doubt the pink ID would satisfy them as it says nothing about your visa status. For migrant workers it's different. 

Agreed... If stopped by Immigration Police who really wanted to know your Immigration status I doubt a Pink ID will suffice.

How many Immigration Police do you see around the streets ???

But playing along with you....  you can show immigration a copy of your Passport and Visa Stamp on your phone and if that doesn't satisfy them they can check your records... If that doesn't satisfy them, you have your 'passport available' within a reasonable time frame (i.e. at home or in a hotel safe)... 

Maybe you'll tell me that your visa is linked to your pink ID🤔

No.. but there you go again Gaslighting - you are making up a scenario that doesn't and wont exist to try and win score a point in an imaginary argument in your head.....

Everyone knows the Pink ID is completely unrelated to Visa status.

In my experience, immigration have no need or use of a pink ID card. 

No one has argued it is... there you go again making up a scenario that doesn't and wont exist to try and win score a point in an imaginary argument in your head.....

I've yet to see anything in the law that states this pink ID is legal identification. 

Yet its accepted at Banks, Airports, DLT etc (there was even an infographic of such earlier on in the thread).

You are on a national database but only to say you've got an address in Thailand. 

And that works perfectly well for me, avoids getting another letter of residence / Embassy letter etc...

Many foreigners might regret getting such a useless card if the tax dept start going after foreign income. 

Very possible, but still a flawed comment...  and this is the only 'nearly' valid comment you have made on this subject so far... 

But that has nothing to do specifically with the 'Pink ID card' itself....     and everything to do with having a Tax ID number (which is the number in the Yellow Book too)... 

So, are you also against having a Tax ID and Yellow House Book now as well ?

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Very possible, but still a flawed comment...  and this is the only 'nearly' valid comment you have made on this subject so far... 

But that has nothing to do specifically with the 'Pink ID card' itself....     and everything to do with having a Tax ID number (which is the number in the Yellow Book too)... 

So, are you also against having a Tax ID and Yellow House Book now as well ?

I know farang who got a yellow housebook, that they call tabien baan, only to get a pink ID card, that they have no idea what it's called in Thai🤔

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

And that works perfectly well for me, avoids getting another letter of residence / Embassy letter etc...

If you don't have a work permit or a yellow housebook you need a letter from immigration every 5 years to renew your DL. Pink card will not do it in most places. 

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yet its accepted at Banks, Airports, DLT etc (there was even an infographic of such earlier on in the thread).

Not true, some bank workers who don't know the law might allow it. Government banks certainly don't. 

Only domestic flights, but DL is enough. 

DLT, not in my experience. 

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

That seems incredibly inflexible

It is what it is, pal. You may have noticed, ah, inflexibility in other areas of life in Thailand, often decried on our beloved forum for cathartic purposes. 

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

don't they have your expiration date on their computer ?..

Obviously not, esp. considering they have no computer for such tracking. Where do you think you are?

21 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

this all seems as though you are making up excuses as to why you have to carry around additional cards - seems a bit exaggerated to me. 

Quite the opposite, as you indulge in @Neeranam -inspired sparring for the sport of it.

19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Lets write proper sentences shall we ???  (easier all around)..

Let's focus on the immediate context of a reply and apply reasonable powers of inference rather than jumping to favored broad sociological meanings for achieving more disagreement[,] shall we???

16 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I know farang who got a yellow housebook, that they call tabien baan, only to get a pink ID card, that they have no idea what it's called in Thai🤔

????  so ??  are the language abilities of a 'farang you know'  of any relevance to anything in this thread all ??

When people refer to the house book in these fora they use different terms all readily understood.

- Yellow House Book

- Yellow Tabien Baan

- Yellow Tabien Baan House Book

- Tabien Baan for non-Thai's

On 1/22/2024 at 12:31 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Why do you want a pink ID card? really don't need one

I have one and never use it. The only forms of ID I ever use is the license passport and rarely yellow book 

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

It depends on the purpose of the stop. If merely for ID check, you're in compliance with Thai law. In theory, as Immigration, they can then check your visa status by computer. Obviously, if they want to see original stamps, or you're under suspicion for criminality, then only your physical passport will do, and you have 24 hours to produce or have it produced if you're detained. 

It would help if you stop obfuscating about migrant workers. It's totally irrelevant. In fact, you always love to jump into these pink ID card threads to spread misinformation, irrelevancy, speculation, and confusion, having nothing of any usefulness to contribute. Why is that?

41 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

The law doesn't specify each and every type of acceptable identification you may carry to be in compliance. It also doesn't say that a photocopy or a phone photo is "legal identification."  

YAWN.

45 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Has nothing to do with foreign income. I find my card useful. What's YOUR problem?

15 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
28 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not true, some bank workers who don't know the law might allow it. Government banks certainly don't. 

Only domestic flights, but DL is enough. 

Yawn...   seriously ???   more obfuscation... 

Pink ID widely accepted at numerous banks (already mentioned numerous times in this thread)

Government Banks - no idea.... what relevance is that to any of us with a normal account ?

Domestic flights - Of course... and Yes, its reported a DL also works (so what? your argument is that Pink ID is not accepted as ID).

DLT - Yellow Book and Pink ID widely accepted (only Chonburi and perhaps a couple of others its not).

23 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Not true, some bank workers who don't know the law might allow it.

Please quote your imagined law that says banks can't accept a pink ID with a bank book for, say, over the counter withdrawals? Mine does. Oh, different bank workers including the manager herself.

23 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

DLT, in my experience. Yellow book, that is. Maybe you were blathering on about "legal ID" and migrant workers etc. etc. and screwed yourself.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 0james0 said:

I have one and never use it. The only forms of ID I ever use is the license passport and rarely yellow book 

Fair enough... Do you carry your Passport around with you all the time though, or do you carry your Pink ID without just incase the police stop you and want to check / confirm your ID ?

9 minutes ago, BigStar said:
56 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

It depends on the purpose of the stop. If merely for ID check, you're in compliance with Thai law. In theory, as Immigration, they can then check your visa status by computer. Obviously, if they want to see original stamps, or you're under suspicion for criminality, then only your physical passport will do, and you have 24 hours to produce or have it produced if you're detained. 

It would help if you stop obfuscating about migrant workers. It's totally irrelevant. In fact, you always love to jump into these pink ID card threads to spread misinformation, irrelevancy, speculation, and confusion, having nothing of any usefulness to contribute. Why is that?

100% agree..     so many silly comments from Neeranam the intention of which appears to counter the usefulness  of possessing a the Pink ID with misinformation, irrelevancy, speculation, and obfuscation....    and then repeating the same flawed generalisation and statements as if the repetition itself ads validity.

The law doesn't specify each and every type of acceptable identification you may carry to be in compliance. It also doesn't say that a photocopy or a phone photo is "legal identification."  

YAWN.

Yawn indeed... its like debating with a 5 year old !!!..

The regulation I saw way back (transliterated) states... "we must carry government issue Photo Identification at all times or be able to provide such within a reasonable time frame".... 

(I'd like to be able to find that document which if I recall correctly was a translation of the actual law - but I've looked and can't dig it out).

Has nothing to do with foreign income. I find my card useful. What's YOUR problem?

Those with a Yellow House Book already have a Tax ID... so the Pink ID makes no difference to that whatsoever. 

• Agree 1

On 1/22/2024 at 7:55 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Worked up.. nah....  

.. Countering flawed generalisations in a topic on a forum designed for discussion... Yep !!... 

Whats your input to the thread ?... anything of value ?...  or did you just feel compelled to impart a dash of irrelevant kokwomblery ?

Yes for sure you are very worked up about this. It looks like you are working and lobbying for the pink card company with your ever so heartfelt ranting and raving love for the pink card

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, 0james0 said:

Yes for sure you are very worked up about this. It looks like you are working and lobbying for the pink card company with your ever so heartfelt ranting and raving love for the pink card

Just what I was thinking. 

What pizzles me is the continual accusation that I dislike this card, I just say it has little, if any practical use, based on my own experience with one. 

28 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Please quote your imagined law that says banks can't accept a pink ID with a bank book for, say, over the counter withdrawals? Mine does. Oh, different bank workers including the manager herself.

DLT, in my experience. Yellow book, that is. Maybe you were blathering on about "legal ID" and migrant workers etc. etc. and screwed yourself.

You can withdraw money with just a bank card. 

9 minutes ago, 0james0 said:
On 1/22/2024 at 3:55 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Worked up.. nah....  

.. Countering flawed generalisations in a topic on a forum designed for discussion... Yep !!... 

Whats your input to the thread ?... anything of value ?...  or did you just feel compelled to impart a dash of irrelevant kokwomblery ?

Expand  

As another poster put it in another thread... Just because I hate Hitler, it doesn't mean I love Starlin...   

In this case, because I dislike and object to the flawed misinformation peddled by some posters, it doesn't mean I love the Pink ID, it simply means I disagree with the flawed misinformation presented by some and have countered that with facts where the Pink ID (and Yellow House Book) have proven to be convenient and useful.

I hope that has helped you to step away from binary thinking.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Just what I was thinking. 

What pizzles me is the continual accusation that I dislike this card, I just say it has little, if any practical use, based on my own experience with one. 

No argument there Neeranam....     In your experience, you have found no practical use for the Pink ID - thats fine.

But.. that has not been the basis of your comments - you have been making false statements and generalisations which suggest you have something against the card itself. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
32 minutes ago, BigStar said:

You can withdraw money with just a bank card. 

This is a perfect example of why we 'suspect' you have a dislike for the Pink ID card...

You are switching context to deliberately obfuscate the discussion and have used this tactic repeatedly.

Given the content of your posts in other threads its obvious that you are not stupid which indicates in this thread you are being deliberately obtuse. 

You'll be reminded that the point made is that Pink ID can be used as ID for over the counter transactions and you have falsely stated that it is illegal... 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is a perfect example of why we 'suspect' you have a dislike for the Pink ID card...

You are switching context to deliberately obfuscate the discussion and have used this tactic repeatedly.

Given the content of your posts in other threads its obvious that you are not stupid which indicates in this thread you are being deliberately obtuse. 

You'll be reminded that the point made is that Pink ID can be used as ID for over the counter transactions and you have falsely stated that it is illegal... 

This with a pink ID card think too mutt😊

Of sunshine days a benefit of the card is to withdraw money, I'm going to state you cash do it with just a bankcard, not rocket science 🤔

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No argument there Neeranam....     In your experience, you have found no practical use for the Pink ID - thats fine.

But.. that has not been the basis of your comments - you have been making false statements and generalisations which suggest you have something against the card itself. 

What false statement? 

• Confused 1

55 minutes ago, BigStar said:

46 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

100% agree..     so many silly comments from Neeranam the intention of which appears to counter the usefulness  of possessing a the Pink ID with misinformation, irrelevancy, speculation, and obfuscation....    and then repeating the same flawed generalisation and statements as if the repetition itself ads validity.

Yawn indeed... its like debating with a 5 year old !!!..

The regulation I saw way back (transliterated) states... "we must carry government issue Photo Identification at all times or be able to provide such within a reasonable time frame".... 

(I'd like to be able to find that document which if I recall correctly was a translation of the actual law - but I've looked and can't dig it out).

Those with a Yellow House Book already have a Tax ID... so the Pink ID makes no difference to that whatsoever. 

Good gawd-stroking each other. The person that started this post said it was required to have a pink card but didn’t mention why until later that it was NEEDED in order to open a bank account which of course isn’t required. Then the discussion turns into a little man’s pee match mainly by the 2 above who have essentially hijacked the discussion with narcissistic long winded blow hard raves self glowing chants about a pink card that is not NEEDED. I never carry my pink card, it’s stuffed in a drawer. Driving license in wallet. Photo copies of passport and yellow book in the phone. I only pull out my passport 1 day a year at the bank and immigration. I’m not buying cars and motorcycles all the time. I think it’s ridicules to rant and rave about a pink card that is rarely used. If someone wants one then great, but it’s really not necessary. As some mentioned, it might be more of an ego lift or maybe helps some of you foreigners feel more Thai ha-ha-ha!

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Obviously you don’t read as noted by others. I don’t dislike the pinky card, I have absolutely no use for it, it takes up space in my wallet. All I need in my wallet are the 2 drivers license and credit cards. That’s it, simple isn’t it?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 0james0 said:
29 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Obviously you don’t read as noted by others. I don’t dislike the pinky card, I have absolutely no use for it, it takes up space in my wallet. All I need in my wallet are the 2 drivers license and credit cards. That’s it, simple isn’t it?

Sure its simple...   so is reading post and identifying that it wasn't in reply to you.

You have found that you have had no use for the Pink ID which is a perfectly reasonable response. 

21 minutes ago, 0james0 said:

think it’s ridicules to rant and rave about a pink card that is rarely used. If someone wants one then great, but it’s really not necessary.

But the thread was hijacked, as all pink card threads are, by posters ranting and raving, like yourself, about why pink cards aren't necessary. Yet no one ever says they are necessary, and in fact everyone denies they are necessary. The OP is an exception and no one has agreed with him. People do, in response to the silly anti-pink card rants and raves, note that they themselves find them convenient. And that is just SO infuriating, for some reason. Perhaps you can explain.

In the course of the anti-pink card ranting and raving, a lot of misinformation is of course thrown out by the ignorant. But you don't like it if that misinformation is corrected. Why is that? What do you care?

In short, you've advanced the usual straw man argument. Nobody cares in the slightest whether you find a pink card convenient, have a pink card, like or dislike pink cards. And you have no information to offer or to correct, just want to talk about yourself. No one else to talk to?

So what are you doing here?

Edited by BigStar
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, 0james0 said:

All I need in my wallet are the 2 drivers license and credit cards. That’s it, simple isn’t it?

No one asked you what you need in your wallet, and no one cares in the slightest. YOU aren't the topic of the thread. Simple, isn't it?

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

This with a pink ID card think too mutt😊

Of sunshine days a benefit of the card is to withdraw money, I'm going to state you cash do it with just a bankcard, not rocket science 🤔

The last transaction I made was to withdraw about 900,000 baht...  Not something I wanted to do at an ATM

And can't trx that amount with SCB as NDID is not available for foreigners).

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

The last transaction I made was to withdraw about 900,000 baht...  Not something I wanted to do at an ATM

And can't trx that amount with SCB as NDID is not available for foreigners).

My banks have phone apps, easy to transfer.