Pink Id card for foreigners

29 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

He can't (you are right on this), but where you are wrong in your statement is that the Pink ID card DOES NOT contain your tax TIN number---TIN and Pink ID are separate, and must be obtained separately at Different Govt Dept's.

Fair enough it was my understanding that our 10 digit TAX id is included in the Yellow Book which has a 13 digit number, most of which is made up of the same number as the Tax ID...  and that 13 digit ID number is also repeated on the Pink ID.

I accept I may have misunderstood this, as it is information I took from this forum way back in another 'Yellow Book / Pink ID debate, whereby it was mentioned that we could register for our Vaccines with our Thai ID number (from the Yellow Book / Pink Id), in that thread statements were made that Yellow Book / Pink ID were not needed as the Tax ID was the same and could also be used.

From many comments made it seems that for many, the TAX ID number is the Same as the ID number in a persons Yellow House Book - if that NOT the case at all,  then I have misunderstood and am wrong.

Edited by richard_smith237

22 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

We are talking about tax ID numbers.

As above, it was my understanding that for 'most of us' the TIN is also the same as 10 of the digits of our Thai ID in the Yellow House Book.

Is this not the case for many people ? (even if its not the case for you ?)

1 hour ago, couchpotato said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

You have a combined Thai Motorcycle licence and Driving Licence ????

Now you are just being stupid Mr Richard.:saai: 

Explain why ???

When 0james states he has 2 Licences in his wallet (obviously motorcycle and car)...  Neeranam asks why and states he has used only one for years... 

The question is asked to highlight the silliness and obfuscation in many of his responses.

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:
2 hours ago, 0james0 said:

All I need in my wallet are the 2 drivers license and credit cards. That’s it, simple isn’t it?

I agree, 

Why do you need 2 DLs?

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

I just use one, and have done for many years. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I've never had a car stolen... but if I did, a Driving licence is the last of my concerns, and as you mentioned, replacing them is easy.

my licence is in the safe at home, with my passport.

If pulled over by police I tell them I "no hab licence"...... can go either way, stooged for 200b cash or waved on.

200b cash is cheaper than the reason I gave them to pull me over !

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, novacova said:

It’s not needed for anything unless you plan on collecting Thai social security. It’s just that some feel it’s more convenient to have for the once or twice a year event of using it. 

I do not have a pink card.

what do you mean by collecting Thai social security ?

I have SS and it has covered my hospital bills (millions over the years).

Edited by Ralf001

26 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

my licence is in the safe at home, with my passport.

If pulled over by police I tell them I "no hab licence"...... can go either way, stooged for 200b cash or waved on.

200b cash is cheaper than the reason I gave them to pull me over !

A good diversion tactic...  unless of course they double down and charge you for both (whatever it was the pilled you for and no licence)....

Quick Point:  There is a DLT App...  (theoretically) as of Sept 2019 you no longer need to show your physical licence at a Police stop or check-point, you can show the app (which has a picture of your License on it)...  

... I believe this is legal where as a regular photo may not suffice.

... Whether the BiB are up to date with this App and updated regulation is yet to be seen.

4 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Thai SS. I got it without a pink card.

37 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

When 0james states he has 2 Licences in his wallet (obviously motorcycle and car)

It obviously wasn't obvious to me. Not many people have a car and a motorcycle.

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
43 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

When 0james states he has 2 Licences in his wallet (obviously motorcycle and car)

It obviously wasn't obvious to me. Not many people have a car and a motorcycle.

Hence....  the losing marbles and slow on the uptake comment... 

... I thought you were just 'thieving urine' actually...    

(taking the pee)...

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:
2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I'm starting to question if you haven't completely lost your marbles, Neeranam.... 

.... Motorcycle and Car....   

I just use one, and have done for many years. 

You really can't be this slow on the uptake, surely ??????

I was clearly wrong... 

10 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

At the SSO office, you don't need a pink card to start SS nor to continue after finishing work (at my local one)

When did you finish work?

I called the SSO head office and it is a requirement now

It was inttroduced sometme laSt year.

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Have you retired? When you retire you can continue paying SS yourself, otherwise you lose the medical insurance.

In order to continue paying, you need a pink ID card, It was confirmed once again today at my SS office.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The last transaction I made was to withdraw about 900,000 baht...  Not something I wanted to do at an ATM

And can't trx that amount with SCB as NDID is not available for foreigners).

Go to an SCB Branch, complete a form and receive approval by text to mobile and e mail within a few hours. My limit is 2 mio THB but this can be changed on the APP. 

10 minutes ago, rimmae2 said:
4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The last transaction I made was to withdraw about 900,000 baht...  Not something I wanted to do at an ATM

And can't trx that amount with SCB as NDID is not available for foreigners).

Go to an SCB Branch, complete a form and receive approval by text to mobile and e mail within a few hours. My limit is 2 mio THB but this can be changed on the APP. 

You miss out some key information there...     The NDID service allows us to make 'protected transfers'...  If there is fraudulent activity on our account we are still protected...   the form you signed waves that protection, so, while you can make large transfers, if there is fraudulent activity on your account you are no longer protected - I refused to sign... 

The reason for moving the money in the first place was to shift it to Bangkok Bank which does permit NDID for foreigners and hence online transfers remain protected.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, novacova said:

It’s just that some feel it’s more convenient to have for the once or twice a year event of using it. 

You'll need to read through the thread for testimonials of the usefulness and convenience of the pink card. Some members seem to use it fairly often. I used mine to check into a hotel last month, and for a hsp visit this month, as I have Thai SS.

Other members have nothing not absolutely necessary, as they simply eat, sleep, and defecate. For the last, they use no toilet paper, as a bum gun and air dry suffice. If that's you, you'll definitely not want a pink card.

Further, the process of getting one is also so hellish that the thought of it forces many members to tremble and soil their knickers, or diapers. So they troll every pink card thread to whinge and sour grapes and boast and falsely claim people are somehow daring criminally suggest they themselves need pink cards--even though such threads have nothing to do with them.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BigStar said:
3 hours ago, novacova said:

It’s just that some feel it’s more convenient to have for the once or twice a year event of using it. 

You'll need to read through the thread for testimonials of the usefulness and convenience of the pink card. Some members seem to use it fairly often. I used mine to check into a hotel last month, and for a hsp visit this month, as I have Thai SS.

Other members have nothing not absolutely necessary, as they simply eat, sleep, and defecate. If that's you, you'll definitely not want a pink card.

Further, the process of getting one is also so hellish that the thought of it forces many members to tremble and soil their knickers, or diapers. So they troll every pink card thread to whinge and sour grapes and boast and falsely claim people are somehow criminally suggesting they themselves need pink cards--even though such threads have nothing to do with them.

To be fair, I think he may have, as his initial tune was a throwaway comment... 'Just a novelty item'.... 'worthless'...   so I suspect he's read the comments and has grudgingly accepted that some people have found the card, and particularly the Yellow House Book, useful and convenient. 

I think some who've made the negative comments suggesting the card is useless have done so without understanding that it could be of value to others and have instead doubled down on their generalisations. 

On 1/22/2024 at 11:14 AM, novacova said:

I think it’s just a novelty item, worthless 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, DrJack54 said:

A 14 page thread about nothing really.

Stoked by bickering and chit chat.

Its been a well contested debate....    Interesting to see the opinion of the 'other side' and also some of the spin off discussion from which there are learnings to be had.

Thankfully an initial troll disappeared after everyone just started ignoring him.

In 6 months time we can re-hash it all out again !!!... 

No hard feelings, particularly to Neeranam with whom I personally have debated (argued) mostly with in this thread - nothing personal at all, I'd buy him a beer if I saw him... 

25 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its been a well contested debate.... 

I don't see it that way.

Debate over what.

If someone wants a pink ID card then obtain one.

It's not an exclusive group.

If someone does not see any significant advantage is having a pink ID then fine. 

Topic DONE.

To each their own. 

Just a puffing chest thread. 

So to be fair tell me how the card would help me living here for 10+ years

Many that have been posted are rubbish.

Please don't tell me ...renew TDL (dose not work) previously did.

Deal with bank, domestic airline travel, etc etc 

My pp does the trick.

I have purchased few properties...I used my pp.

Open bank account ...won't even justify that nonsense with reply.

Pink card of no use. Now requires COR

So give me one example of when I need it.

12 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I don't see it that way.

Debate over what.

If someone does not see any significant advantage is having a pink ID then fine. 

Topic DONE.

To each their own. 

My pp does the trick.

You are right, you don't need it. The pink card has never been anymore than a 'nice to have '.

But, these threads always turn into a p!ssing contest; those who love the card will try to convince others that you are more 'integrated' and accepted if you have one.

Those of us who don't have the pink card (and do not desire one) will continue to yawn and use our Thai driving licences to check in at hotels and get the Thai price at Nong Nooch Gardens, Supatra Land etc, etc.

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

On 1/22/2024 at 11:04 AM, grain said:

I went with my TGF to our local amphur a few months ago, was told to go get legally married then come back and ask again. So I've given up on ever having one.

I suspect your GF was doing the translating 🤔

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I don't see it that way.

Debate over what.

No one has mentioned anything of 'exclusivity' except you... is that a projection of what you think those who have the Pink ID card think ?...  you think that 'we think we are in an exclusive group'... if so, I can see why the projections of some have led to this objection and opinion of the card... but they are basing their bias on flawed imagination.

Topic DONE.

To each their own. 

I agree... if you want one get one, if you don't, then don't - but people have posted misinformation which is misleading.

I see it as correcting the negative comments where peoples have said its worthless - it was worth it to some of us who have it.

I've had the card for perhaps 8 years or so (can't remember exactly)...   

After the initial leg work, the Yellow House book and Pink ID have made some aspects more convenient... 

'Helped' well, they've saved me a little time and money...  

For example... 

I can't get a Letter of Address from immigration as I never do a 90 day report (travel too much), and in Bangkok we need to have submitted a 90 day report before we can get that letter of address.

The UK Embassy no longer provide the Affirmation of residence document.

It is the Yellow House Book which has enabled me to get my driving licence renewed (at Bangkok DLT) without hoop jumping.

Worked for me last time, and others. We'll see if it still works in 20 months when I have to renew, otherwise I'm in a bit of a sticky spot. 

That said, someone mentioned its possible to get a Letter of Address from our Amphur office - I didn't know that... so that is just one example of something I have learned from this thread.

My pp does the trick.

I used an example of when my Passport was in an Embassy for Visa purposes...  I used my Pink ID to travel with. 

Its likely my DL would have been accepted though, who knows...  But a Pink ID certainly was.

I opened a Kasikorn account less than 6 months ago with a Yellow Book....  

I opened a Bangkok Bank Account about 5 years ago with a Yellow Book... 

Not one mention of required for a CoR...  so your 'won't even justify that nonsense comment' is well... just nonsense. 

I can carry out 'over the counter transactions' using the Pink ID ( no need to carry around the Passport  when I go to a Bank ).

I can't speak for you... You firmly believe you don't 'need' it... and I'd agree - no one 'needs it'... 

I don't 'need' it [Pink ID or Yellow Housebook] either...    but thats where main debating point of this thread keeps popping up...

Its people with a low reading comprehension who keep using words like 'need' and 'necessity'...   No one is arguing that the Pink ID is needed or necessary....   

Both the Pink ID and Yellow House book simply add a layer of convenience that makes them worth while having (in my Opinion) and I've provide example of that throughout the thread.

IF you don't think they'd offer any convenience for you, thats fine...  The 'debate' from my side has been targeting those who are spreading misinformation that they are useless.

28 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

You are right, you don't need it. The pink card has never been anymore than a 'nice to have '.

But, these threads always turn into a p!ssing contest; those who love the card will try to convince others that you are more 'integrated' and accepted if you have one.

Nope.. no one is arguing that....  I think thats what some people project...  

They seem to project that those who have the Pink ID card and Yellow House Book feel they are somehow elevated about other Westerners here, more integrated or special etc... and that gets up their nose...     BUT, thats just an imagined projection, a construct and nothing more.

28 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Those of us who don't have the pink card (and do not desire one) will continue to yawn and use our Thai driving licences to check in at hotels and get the Thai price at Nong Nooch Gardens, Supatra Land etc, etc.

Which is great...     and I'm sure you have an easy means to get a CoR too ... come DL renewal time Chonburi DLT doesn't accept the Yellow Book either, so the Yellow House Book is not useful for you in that aspect either....  

But, because those in your sitation and location would not see any additional convenience to having a Yellow House Book and Pink ID it does not mean nationwide other Westener's wouldn't... 

...as such your sweeping generalisation that 'the Pink ID (and Yellow House book) has only ever been a nice to have' is flawed...

......  for some people they're handy documents to have...   for others they're not worth the effort it takes to get them.

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I opened a Kasikorn account less than 6 months ago with a Yellow Book....  

I opened a Bangkok Bank Account about 5 years ago with a Yellow Book... 

Not one mention of required for a CoR...  so your 'won't even justify that nonsense comment' is well... just nonsense. 

I could pick every one segmented parts of you post. ...all incorrect.

Let's stick with this one. 

The reason Kasikorn opened a bank account is that you perhaps had ongoing annual extensions from perhaps a non O.

I have done exactly the same with same bank. 

You state 5 years ago with Bangkok bank. Yellow book would not cut it today. 

All your posts above are rubbish.

When you renew you TDL in Bangkok your pink card won't cut it.

Previously it did.

You will need a certificate of residence. 

I could go on but it's boring

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I could pick every one segmented parts of you post. ...all incorrect.

And you'd be wrong... 

Let's stick with this one. 

The reason Kasikorn opened a bank account is that you perhaps had ongoing annual extensions from perhaps a non O.

Why would you make a complete guess at my Visa status just to try and disprove my facts...  very silly of you...

I'm on a Thai Elite Visa....  so nothing to do with a Non-O extension etc...  and opening the account was nothing to do with the Elite Visa either, I could have been on a tourist visa for all it mattered... what did matter was the proof of address and the Yellow House Book served as exactly that...   (no need to try and get proof of address from else where).... 

... and as the accounts are opened with the Yellow House Book, the Pink ID serves as valid ID when I need to execute a 'counter transaction' and I don't have a passport with me....  (as I don't cary my passport around with me unless absolutely essential)

I have done exactly the same with same bank. 

Clearly you haven't 'cos you couldn't even get the right visa....  just a flawed assumption of yours.

You state 5 years ago with Bangkok bank. Yellow book would not cut it today. 

Erm... you are guessing and have no idea of that (neither do I though to be fair)... But Kasikorn accepted the Yellow Book 6 months ago without any issue whatsoever, so there is no reason to expect any other bank wouldn't.

I'm curious though - what makes you think a Yellow House Book could not be used (would not cut it) to open a Bangkok Bank account today ??...    anything other than just your opinion ?

All your posts above are rubbish.

Well, usually you provide useful and pertinent information on visas... but on this subject we have clearly found your wading depth....

When you renew you TDL in Bangkok your pink card won't cut it.

Previously it did.

You will need a certificate of residence. 

Pink Card alone never did...  but the Yellow House Book and Pink ID did 'cut it'... 

Theres no reason to expect that it wont next time (I'm not in Pattaya where its not accepted).

Any reports of people having their Yellow House Book rejected at the DLT in Bangkok ???

Or again, is that just your opinion ?

I'll find out in 20 months.

I could go on but it's boring

Then why bother entering the discussion in the first place.. 

You could go on, but you'll be shown to be wrong.

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Pink Card alone never did...  but the Yellow House Book and Pink ID did 'cut it'... 

Theres no reason to expect that it wont next time (I'm not in Pattaya where its not accepted).

Any reports of people having their Yellow House Book rejected at the DLT in Bangkok ???

I'll find out in 20 months.

I'll let you know sometime in early spring/summer this year, have to renew mine again after I get back from a US Visit in April/May, but like you, I renewed both my Motorcycle License and Car License with the Yellow Book and Pink ID. The Pink ID number is what's on my licenses, not my passport number.

• Agree 1