Pink Id card for foreigners

25 minutes ago, 0james0 said:

Obviously you don’t read as noted by others. I don’t dislike the pinky card, I have absolutely no use for it, it takes up space in my wallet. All I need in my wallet are the 2 drivers license and credit cards. That’s it, simple isn’t it?

I agree, 

Why do you need 2 DLs?

• Confused 2

27 minutes ago, 0james0 said:

Good gawd-stroking each other. The person that started this post said it was required to have a pink card but didn’t mention why until later that it was NEEDED in order to open a bank account which of course isn’t required. Then the discussion turns into a little man’s pee match mainly by the 2 above who have essentially hijacked the discussion with narcissistic long winded blow hard raves self glowing chants about a pink card that is not NEEDED. I never carry my pink card, it’s stuffed in a drawer. Driving license in wallet. Photo copies of passport and yellow book in the phone. I only pull out my passport 1 day a year at the bank and immigration. I’m not buying cars and motorcycles all the time. I think it’s ridicules to rant and rave about a pink card that is rarely used. If someone wants one then great, but it’s really not necessary. As some mentioned, it might be more of an ego lift or maybe helps some of you foreigners feel more Thai ha-ha-ha!

You're jumping into the debate searching for an argument rather than a discussion. 

No one has said the Pink ID is 'NEEDED'...     

I have said that the Pink ID card can be useful and adds a layer of convenience,  and as it only takes an additional 10mins and 40 baht to obtain, they there's no good reason not to get one....   people have debated against this with flawed reasoning.

Its not useful to you.. fair enough...  you didn't make a false statements until above when you incorrectly commented that it has been said that the Pink ID is 'NEEDED'....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm starting to question if you haven't completely lost your marbles, Neeranam.... 

.... Motorcycle and Car....   

I just use one, and have done for many years. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The last transaction I made was to withdraw about 900,000 baht...  Not something I wanted to do at an ATM

And can't trx that amount with SCB as NDID is not available for foreigners).

My banks have phone apps, easy to transfer. 

Pay attention...    NDID is not available for foreigners (at SCB Bank), 

Thus, the max transfer is 49,999 baht...  and I'm not about to make 17 separate online transactions.

Hence the counter transaction for which I used the Pink ID and Bank Book.

You really can't be this slow on the uptake, surely ??????

• Love It 1

Just now, Neeranam said:
4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm starting to question if you haven't completely lost your marbles, Neeranam.... 

.... Motorcycle and Car....   

I just use one, and have done for many years. 

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

I was clearly wrong... 

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

My banks have phone apps, easy to transfer. 

Did anyone say they don't? Did anyone deny you can use them for transfers?

What other neat things can you do that nobody said you couldn't do? Let's talk about all of them. Gratuitous womanly self-revelation is very popular here, as evinced by other posters as well. 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Pay attention...    NDID is not available for foreigners (at SCB Bank), 

Thus, the max transfer is 49,999 baht...  and I'm not about to make 17 separate online transactions.

Hence the counter transaction for which I used the Pink ID and Bank Book.

When going to the bank to take out that much cash, did you take your passport with you, just in case? 

As far as I can see, the Pink ID card number also serves as a Tax Identification number for foreigners but I can't find a definitive statement to confirm this, does anyone know for certain?

The Thai PIN is 13 digits, the TIN is 10 but the first three numbers of a PIN relate solely to Thai's and naturalized citizens.

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:
24 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I was clearly wrong... 

No need for personal insults :( 

On the contrary... I was doubting my own judgement on your speed of uptake...

It'd be amusing to have this debate over beers in a pub...  I'd have been pishing myself in hysterics by now... 

I do believe you are deliberately messing with us...   especially on this last page.... 

Just now, Mike Lister said:

As far as I can see, the Pink ID card number also serves as a Tax Identification number for foreigners but I can't find a definitive statement to confirm this, does anyone know for certain?

The Thai PIN is 13 digits, the TIN is 10 but the first three numbers of a PIN relate solely to Thai's and naturalized citizens.

Kind of correct...      You need a Yellow House Book (or Blue House Book if you qualify) to get your Thai ID number which also contains your TIN... Thus.....      of course, you can also have a TIN without the Yellow House Book.

The Pink ID is just the same info on a Photo ID card (for no Thai, Thailand ID).

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Kind of correct...      You need a Yellow House Book (or Blue House Book if you qualify) to get your Thai ID number which also contains your TIN... Thus.....      of course, you can also have a TIN without the Yellow House Book.

The Pink ID is just the same info on a Photo ID card (for no Thai, Thailand ID).

You can get a TIN without having a yellow tabien bahn or anything else, all you need in the North is a Residence Certificate and in Bangkok even that is not required. My question though is, if you have a Pink Card and no other Thai style ID, does that number serve as your Thai TIN?

1 minute ago, Mike Lister said:

You can get a TIN without having a yellow tabien bahn or anything else, all you need in the North is a Residence Certificate and in Bangkok even that is not required. My question though is, if you have a Pink Card and no other Thai style ID, does that number serve as your Thai TIN?

You can't have a Pink Card and no other Thai Style ID...  you can't get a Pink ID card without first having being registered with the Amphur and in a Yellow House Book (or in a Blue House Book if you qualify).

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

You can't have a Pink Card and no other Thai Style ID...  you can't get a Pink ID card without first having being registered with the Amphur and in a Yellow House Book (or in a Blue House Book if you qualify).

Yes, fair enough, I'd overlooked that.  But the question still stands, if as a foreigner you have a Pink ID Card, do you also need to go and register for a TIN at the Revenue Offices or will the Pink Card suffice?

3 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Yes, fair enough, I'd overlooked that.  But the question still stands, if as a foreigner you have a Pink ID Card, do you also need to go and register for a TIN at the Revenue Offices or will the Pink Card suffice?

TIN required if you are going to file a tax return. Pink ID does not suffice for that.

7 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Do you know that for fact?

Yes I do, But I feel as a moderator you should really research it for yourself with the relevant Govt Dept so that you can be 100% sure. Of course only a suggestion.

Edited by couchpotato

2 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Yes I do, But I feel as a moderator you should really research it for yourself with the relevant Govt Dept so that you can be 100% sure. Of course only a suggestion.

I am researching it, I'm asking the readership if they know the answer and lo and behold, one member has confirmed it thank you. Do I need to research it further?

34 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

No, the first number means your status, ie 8 for naturalized Thais, or PRs. 3 for Thais born pre 1984, 0 for refugees, etc. 

2nd and 5th numbers for province and district. 

6-12 is to do with birth Certificate number. 

13th is a checksum. 

There was a good post on the 'Story of my Thai Citizenship' thread about it. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No, you don't. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
40 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No, you don't. 

Please elaborate... 

How can a foreigner get a Pink ID without being registered in a house book ??

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Please elaborate... 

I'm starting to question if you haven't completely lost your marbles, Neeranam Richard....

We are talking about tax ID numbers.

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Please elaborate... 

He can't (you are right on this), but where you are wrong in your statement is that the Pink ID card DOES NOT contain your tax TIN number---TIN and Pink ID are separate, and must be obtained separately at Different Govt Dept's.

• Like 2