Thailand expects major rise in EV imports under new four-year plan

snoop1130

ET-auto-1-820x547.jpg

The director-general of the Excise Department projected a significant increase in electric vehicle (EV) imports, with an estimated 175,000 units expected to reach Thailand within two years. This comes as part of a four-year plan, EV3.5 (2024-27), which requires importers to establish a production base in the country from 2024-25 onwards, to replace imports with domestically produced EVs.

The plan predicts a domestic production of between 350,000 and 525,000 EV units by 2027. The estimated subsidies provided under this scheme amount to 34 billion baht. Ekniti Nitithanprapas elaborated on the objectives of EV3.5, stating that the plan aims to spur investment in EV production, bolster competitiveness, promote carbon neutrality and net-zero emissions, and align with the Excise Department’s strategy for sustainable growth.

Under EV3.5, by 2026, participants must establish a production base in Thailand and initiate domestic production to balance out imports. The ratio for this is set at 1:2, meaning that for every imported EV that receives a subsidy, two units must be produced locally. This ratio is set to increase to 1:3 by 2027. EV manufacturers wishing to benefit from the subsidy provided under EV3.5 must register with the Excise Department.

By Alex Morgan

Caption: PHOTO: via ET auto

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-01-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Thailand is ensuring its manufacturing base grows and is protected from other ASEAN nations.  A very enlightened move.

Yeah considering the discovery of lithium bearing rock in Thailand it would make sense and also offer more employment opportunities for the population.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

After getting more details apparently the prospectors can be sent home...... not as much Lithium there as the original sensationalist type headlines suggested. 

Well spotted

I wonder how long it will take before there are enough EV fires in inconvenient locations to makes this trend stop.

Like some burning EVs in difficult accessible parking areas deep in the ground or on a high floor or something like that.

How many do we need before EVs will be banned from some parking spaces?

I guess this trend will stop. The questions is how long it will take. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I wonder how long it will take before there are enough EV fires in inconvenient locations to makes this trend stop.

Like some burning EVs in difficult accessible parking areas deep in the ground or on a high floor or something like that.

How many do we need before EVs will be banned from some parking spaces?

I guess this trend will stop. The questions is how long it will take. 

Well, it could be a very long time as EV's are between 10 and 120 times less likely to catch fire than ICE vehicles.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

The graphic is just 3 of about a dozen different charging providers, Thailand has an excellent charging infrastructure.

This is the reason I will not buy one. Not enough infrastructure, despite the silly picture. 

• Confused 4
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

Well, it could be a very long time as EV's are between 10 and 120 times less likely to catch fire than ICE vehicles.

In accidents or while being charged?

I see all the time reports from burning EVs all over the world. Obviously seeing a couple of videos is not a statistic. But it seems in many cases those fires are a huge headache for everybody involved.

If a car burns somewhere "unimportant", then that is no big deal.

But let this happen in the parking area of a steel structure building, and that is a huge problem.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In accidents or while being charged?

I see all the time reports from burning EVs all over the world. Obviously seeing a couple of videos is not a statistic. But it seems in many cases those fires are a huge headache for everybody involved.

If a car burns somewhere "unimportant", then that is no big deal.

But let this happen in the parking area of a steel structure building, and that is a huge problem.

if you look just in thailand ... how many times have fire cost lives in nightclubs, pubs, discos, factories, homes and so on ...

i wouldn't mind if thailand shuts down all low life entertainment venues because of the deadly fires ... 

imho, any entertainment venues in thailand are more of a (deadly) fire threat than an ev car ... but i am sure, you see that diffrently!

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Thailand is ensuring its manufacturing base grows and is protected from other ASEAN nations.  A very enlightened move.

Where is the electricity to come from to power these vehicals?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I wonder when the insurance companies will work out that repairing damage to EV's, even after a minor accident, is often far more expensive than would be the case for an ICE car involved in the same bump? Sooner or later, the same thing will happen here as has happened back home and insurance costs for EV's will skyrocket. Nice to have a sub-800K Baht EV, not so nice to have to pay 40K or 50K per annum for insurance. Then there's the public car parking space issue that's a problem only just surfacing in the West. As EV's occasionally self-combust (like anything powered by a lithium ion battery), car parks will have to have bigger parking spaces for them so that they don't cause their neighbours to catch fire if they happen to start burning. This will reduce the number of parking spaces and so make parking more expensive. It may also mean that car parking areas for EV's will have to be fireproofed. I'm not against EV's at all, but the technology is far from mature (e.g. there's a number of alternative battery types being developed that are more environmentally friendly than those based on lithium) and the politicians are over-incentivising the public to rush for EV's when they haven't even solved the known problems, let alone worked out what all the unknown ones are. Look at the damage done in the UK when Gordon Brown decided that diesel engines were the way of the future.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Rental giant Hertz dumps EV's, including Teslas, for gas cars. Selling 20,000 citing higher expenses related to collision and damage for EV's even though it had aimed to convert 25% of its fleet to electric by 2024 end. Tires an issue due to the weight of the vehicles wearing tires faster than the lighter ICE vehicles. Insurance costs are through the roof mainly due to expenses related to fire, collision and damage, primarily associated with EVs. Its decision underscores the bumpy road EVs have hit as their sales growth slows, causing carmakers like General Motors, and Ford, to scale back production plans. 

https://www.energy.gov/articles/history-electric-car

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, OzzBlizz said:

Rental giant Hertz dumps EV's, including Teslas, for gas cars. Selling 20,000 citing higher expenses related to collision and damage for EV's even though it had aimed to convert 25% of its fleet to electric by 2024 end. Tires an issue due to the weight of the vehicles wearing tires faster than the lighter ICE vehicles. Insurance costs are through the roof mainly due to expenses related to fire, collision and damage, primarily associated with EVs. Its decision underscores the bumpy road EVs have hit as their sales growth slows, causing carmakers like General Motors, and Ford, to scale back production plans. 

https://www.energy.gov/articles/history-electric-car

Topic is .... Thailand & EV sales & production.

.... not the failure of Hertz rental, using EVs.

You could repost here and probably get a better response, although that news-blip has been posted about 3 times already.

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Topic is .... Thailand & EV sales & production.

.... not the failure of Hertz rental, using EVs.

You could repost here and probably get a better response, although that news-blip has been posted about 3 times already.

Thailand expects major rise in EV imports under new four-year plan.

Hertz isn't failing, they are finding out they made a mistake with EV's. Not sure what you mean by a news-blip, but I am finding this is not really a free and fair open forum, and I'm seeing too many moderators want to strictly control the narrative especially when they don't agree with what is said, when I don't agree with what someone says, I just keep scrolling, and... I have never cared for a response from anyone on here, because there are more negative ones than positive, and its not why I share anything. You also made the other thread after this one. Why?

12 minutes ago, OzzBlizz said:

Thailand expects major rise in EV imports under new four-year plan.

Hertz isn't failing, they are finding out they made a mistake with EV's. Not sure what you mean by a news-blip, but I am finding this is not really a free and fair open forum, and I'm seeing too many moderators want to strictly control the narrative especially when they don't agree with what is said, when I don't agree with what someone says, I just keep scrolling, and... I have never cared for a response from anyone on here, because there are more negative ones than positive, and its not why I share anything. You also made the other thread after this one. Why?

I did state, '.... not the failure of Hertz rental, using EVs."

They did struggle past few years, even filing bankruptcy, but pulled themselves up a bit, under the protection of Chapter 11.