What are you cooking today?

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

I love these. Haven't had any in a long time. Now, I've got to find some.

Yea me to , 

They were really not very hard to make  . They just took a bit of time, the little trick I learned for rolling them really helped. 

I got the grape leaves from this place on Lazada and I must say they shipped fast and the leaves were top quality, I will certainly order from them again. 

image.png.8baa6275b423dce3e3f98e24e6a9847e.png

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i3635746374-s21187488494.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1

Oh one thing I did that might have helped was that before using the leaves I put them in boiling water for a minute and then left them in the hot water for about 10 minutes. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Yea me to , 

They were really not very hard to make  . They just took a bit of time, the little trick I learned for rolling them really helped. 

I got the grape leaves from this place on Lazada and I must say they shipped fast and the leaves were top quality, I will certainly order from them again. 

image.png.8baa6275b423dce3e3f98e24e6a9847e.png

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i3635746374-s21187488494.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1

Oh one thing I did that might have helped was that before using the leaves I put them in boiling water for a minute and then left them in the hot water for about 10 minutes. 

Do the leave add a lot of flavor? Cabbage seems cheaper and easier. 

• Like 1

Posting to tell what not to try.  Used S&B Japanese Curry w/some peanut oil as a marinade on my chicken legs.   In fridge for about 3 hrs.   Chicken was itself was great, tender, juicy, skin crisped up enough.   But you'd never know I marinated it for 3 hours, as curry flavor was non existent.

Served up with a side of taters, for 1st meal of the day, just before noon.

image.png.d78415502692aebfb46f2deddb994fd6.png

Made this again the other day, and always turns out good, posted before.

Basic Asian marinade; soy sauce, oyster, honey (sugar), garlic/ginger, 5 spice seasoning

image.png.5036139c9b87ea7e39e1b0bea5884c13.png

50 minutes ago, Denim said:

Just made up a tub of pork liver pate to spread on my home baked bread.

Delicious and easy.

That sounds great.

Do you have a recipe for that that you could post?

1 1/2 lbs. chicken livers (can use duck)

1 large onion, chopped  

2 eggs, hard-boiled (can use duck)  

Kosher salt

Black pepper

Chicken fat, mayonnaise, oil +/or butter

1/4 cup Chinese cooking wine, dry sherry or chicken stock- a little

Optional: 4-6 cloves garlic, smashed & minced   

Wash the livers and sauté them in 2 tablespoons of chicken fat, oil or butter over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, until just about done. Transfer to a large bowl.

Sauté the onions & mushrooms in chicken fat, oil or butter until browned. Add the garlic, if using, near the end to brown, but not burn.

Add the wine, dry sherry or chicken stock and deglaze the pan, scraping the sides and boiling for about 15 seconds. Pour into the bowl with the livers.

Add the eggs, salt & black pepper to the bowl. Toss quickly to combine.

Blend the mixture in a food processor until a thick paste develops; remove to a large bowl.

Blend in the amount of chicken fat, mayonnaise, oil +/or butter you prefer and season to taste.

Chill and serve. 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Michaelaway said:

1 1/2 lbs. chicken livers (can use duck)

1 large onion, chopped  

2 eggs, hard-boiled (can use duck)  

Kosher salt

Black pepper

Chicken fat, mayonnaise, oil +/or butter

1/4 cup Chinese cooking wine, dry sherry or chicken stock- a little

Optional: 4-6 cloves garlic, smashed & minced   

Wash the livers and sauté them in 2 tablespoons of chicken fat, oil or butter over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, until just about done. Transfer to a large bowl.

Sauté the onions & mushrooms in chicken fat, oil or butter until browned. Add the garlic, if using, near the end to brown, but not burn.

Add the wine, dry sherry or chicken stock and deglaze the pan, scraping the sides and boiling for about 15 seconds. Pour into the bowl with the livers.

Add the eggs, salt & black pepper to the bowl. Toss quickly to combine.

Blend the mixture in a food processor until a thick paste develops; remove to a large bowl.

Blend in the amount of chicken fat, mayonnaise, oil +/or butter you prefer and season to taste.

Chill and serve. 

Thank you for that recipe, though I would probably swap out the chicken livers for pork liver.

49 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Thank you for that recipe, though I would probably swap out the chicken livers for pork liver.

KIS ....Keep it simple. Too many ingredients will discourage you from making it and don't make a huge impact on the final result.

I use the following method ( in video ) except I don't use as much liver as if you make too much it might go off before you eat it all and I have found it does not freeze that well ( water gets in )

Secondly, I only marinate the liver in milk for about 30 minutes....not several hours. So all you really need is 4 cloves of garlic and a small onion plus the liver. Cook these up in a pan with a slice of butter. Add black peeper and salt ( plus optional mixed herbs if you have them.

One cooked let cool and put in a blender. As you blend, graduallky add cream ( I just use milk ) and blend until you get the texture you want. Don't put all the cream or milk in at once as if you overdo it it will be runny. Slowly slowly until it is nice and smooth. Put in a tub then pop it in the fridge. You can melt butter on top if you wish or sprinkle black pepper on it.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Denim said:

KIS ....Keep it simple. Too many ingredients will discourage you from making it and don't make a huge impact on the final result.

I use the following method ( in video ) except I don't use as much liver as if you make too much it might go off before you eat it all and I have found it does not freeze that well ( water gets in )

Secondly, I only marinate the liver in milk for about 30 minutes....not several hours. So all you really need is 4 cloves of garlic and a small onion plus the liver. Cook these up in a pan with a slice of butter. Add black peeper and salt ( plus optional mixed herbs if you have them.

One cooked let cool and put in a blender. As you blend, graduallky add cream ( I just use milk ) and blend until you get the texture you want. Don't put all the cream or milk in at once as if you overdo it it will be runny. Slowly slowly until it is nice and smooth. Put in a tub then pop it in the fridge. You can melt butter on top if you wish or sprinkle black pepper on it.

I will have to try that, but after Songkran will be easier after everybody has gone home.

Posted (edited)

Songkran weekend and hiding in the house. 

what better time to make Mango turnovers.

The difficult part was finding mangoes this time of year :laugh:

but I managed to get my hands on a couple. 

peeled them removed the seed and chop them up

Three tbs of sugar, 2 tbs of cornstarch to thicken the mix . and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. 

over low heat for 3-4 minutes until sugar is melted. 

butter puff pastry squares with a few lines cut on the center of the top half. A tablespoon of filling on the center of the bottom half. 

Paint edges with egg wash

fold over and pinch edges  with fork. and paint outside with egg wash. 

bake at 400 f until golden brown, flip over and bake for a few more minutes . 

The white you see outside is a cake butter and sugar cake topping I had leftover from last week when I tried to make a layer cake. (not very successful but a good effort for a first time.) 

Anyway here are the pictures, cause I know many of you have problems with words . especially big ones :tongue: 

mangofill.jpg.05373bbde905dd0e982e060b1197e9ba.jpg

mangoturnovers.jpg.c2783fd2a18f9796cb64163a2a5c7758.jpg

plenty of them to last me the weekent. Someone please call me and let me know when it is safe to go outside again.

But I warn you!! If I come out and don't see my shadow, I am going back in :laugh:

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't 'make' anything, just done better than any vendor ...

... Canadian bacon has the extra charring I like, why split

... taters are crispy

... eggs are not

... I passed on the side of dog food

image.png.4dc96ef2f183ab2572c37ac2b1772213.png

2 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Finally some real food for the country boy; pork chops 😋

1715338729924.jpg

That gravy looks nice!

Is that sweet potato on the side?