Renewing a Driver's Licence Without a Yellow Book

My license is up for renewal. Does anybody know which documents are needed? Just saw another thread where the yellow book was mentioned but I don't have it. Isn't there a document we can get at immigration?

If anybody has done it recently please let me know how long it took at the Department of Land Transport. I hope I don't have to be there all day. Thanks in advance!

You can present a letter from your immigration office confirming your address etc.

You do not need a yellow book.

Took about 15-20 minutes, 500 baht. Copies of passport front page, last entry, last extension (but verify at your own IO, may want other stuff).

Not in Bangkok, and came in after lunch, place was empty the whole thing with the 'tests' was about 45 minutes, including waiting.

Did the online thing ahead.

Edited by Morch
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Medical Certificate

Oh yeah, that too.

Managed just before heading to the IO office, 20 minutes including waiting. only basic stuff checked.

2 hours ago, Morch said:

You can present a letter from your immigration office confirming your address etc.

Thanks. Do you know the name of this letter? Address certificate? That's the first thing I need to get.

1 hour ago, Somjot said:

However, I tried to get an online appointment - full until July

Appointment where? I keep hearing about places where you can just walk in to renew.

2 hours ago, Robbkk said:

Thanks. Do you know the name of this letter? Address certificate? That's the first thing I need to get.

No, I do not. Both times we just went there and told them what I need, and they knew what's to be done.

As for pictures, no - they'll take your pic on the spot.

Also, I think you can walk in, but depending on hour and location, this can be a long wait. In our case, a non-issue. Different in Bangkok.

5 hours ago, Morch said:

Oh yeah, that too.

Managed just before heading to the IO office, 20 minutes including waiting. only basic stuff checked.

The health certificate is valid for a month. So a good idea to do it in advance.

10 minutes ago, Morch said:

Also, I think you can walk in, but depending on hour and location, this can be a long wait. In our case, a non-issue. Different in Bangkok.

They officially promise on their site that walk-in is possible for DL extension at all offices.

"officially" :smile:

In all cases do the e-learning beforehand and have the QR code.

I think walk-in without might be denied.

2 hours ago, Somjot said:

However, I tried to get an online appointment - full until July!

Our office does not even participate in the SmartQueue procedure.

I have registered just to find out.

Edited by KhunBENQ

On 1/27/2024 at 7:59 PM, BenStark said:

Is medical certificate now needed for every renewal, also the 5 year ones?

A couple of years ago was my last renewal.  I did not need a medical certificate for it.  Just the residence certificate.

The last time in addition to the vision/reaction tests I had to watch a video that lasted about 45 minutes.  But no test on it.

Edited by rwill
  • Like 1

On 1/27/2024 at 1:49 PM, Morch said:

You do not need a yellow book.

Took about 15-20 minutes, 500 baht. Copies of passport front page, last entry, last extension (but verify at your own IO, may want other stuff).

Not in Bangkok, and came in after lunch, place was empty the whole thing with the 'tests' was about 45 minutes, including waiting.

Did the online thing ahead.

you are so lucky

samut prakarn, it is, oh you have nothing better to do, come back next week

you can try to call first, to see if it is ready, nobody ever picks up

better go 3 days later then planned 

2024 and they cannot do it directly, or send by EMS.. offered a few hundred baht to mail it as a taxi ride to the <deleted>hole in the middle of nowhere costs double, to no avail

On 1/27/2024 at 2:16 PM, Morch said:

Oh yeah, that too.

You got checked lol I just grabbed the letter off the stack and paid 100 b , never been checked 

I renewed my driving license in Bangkok ( Bang Chak DLT 3)  Aug last year so this might be a bit out of date, i tried booking via the smart queue it showed a 4 month wait, so went to Bang Chak ( note you could not walk in everything was by appointment, i went there and got an appointment 8 weeks later, they told me i did not need to do the online test but bring certificate of residence and medical certificate, the said both were only valid 30 days they also check your visa/ extension of stay

At Chang Wattana you must bring your tm47 (your last 90 day report) and copy your passport bio and Visa, the cost is 200 baht and they post it to you takes about 10 days, there is no express service.

I have read that Chatachuk DLT does walk ins

I'm up for renewal in March. Do I remember this order of things correctly: 

1st. visit your local DLT to get an appointment (no need for documents at this time)

2nd. visit bring Medical Cert, Residence Cert, Passport copies (all pages) and do a couple of tests. 

Is this still valid? I don't want to go all the way over there and have missed something for the first step, so I'm happy for any help here. 

On 1/30/2024 at 8:57 PM, aldriglikvid said:

2nd. visit bring Medical Cert, Residence Cert, Passport copies (all pages) and do a couple of tests. 

Is this still valid? I don't want to go all the way over there and have missed something for the first step, so I'm happy for any help here. 

Yeah that list seems fine, however, don't forget the obvious, i.e., bring your expired DL with you.

On 1/30/2024 at 8:57 PM, aldriglikvid said:

I'm up for renewal in March. Do I remember this order of things correctly: 

1st. visit your local DLT to get an appointment (no need for documents at this time)

go online to the DLT office you plan on using, and all info should be there.  I wouldn't just show up, 'to get' an appointment.

It's changed since your last renewal.