Bum gun in bathroom leaking / broken

bbi1

21 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

Those things are so cheap and easy to change yourself (literally couple of minutes) its hardly worth the bother of scheduling someone to call round.

18 minutes ago, eyeman said:

Jesus christ, they cost like 100-200 baht and it's screw in within 5 seconds, they all start leaking eventually usually just a trickle

Does the technician need to turn off all the water to the whole condo room from the valve outside or can you just turn off the valve for the bum gun next to the toilet when changing it?

Edited by bbi1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Does the technician need to turn off all the water to the whole condo room from the valve outside or can you just turn off the valve for the bum gun next to the toilet when changing it?

Try turning off the valve for the bum gun until you see no more water trickling, then replace with new. Some valves are frozen solid by scale though.

I don't entirely agree with "not bothering the landlord". The landlord is supposed to rent out facilities that are in working order.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 6
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, JackGats said:

Try turning off the valve for the bum gun until you see no more water trickling, then replace with new. Some valves are frozen solid by scale though.

I don't entirely agree with "not bothering the landlord". The landlord is supposed to rent out facilities that are in working order.

It was in working order from OP

the tenant has moved in and it was in working state

6 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Just close the valve that feeds water to the bum gun.

First rule of living in Thailand when moving into a house or condo.

Go to homepro or similar and buy all new bum guns and replace them.  At your expense .

Unless of course, you enjoy someone else’s a-s shard with yours.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, JackGats said:

1 minute ago, G_Money said:

Just close the valve that feeds water to the bum gun.

8 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

You can turn of the valve for the bum gun.

The problem is, even when completely turning off the valve for the bum gun, the bum gun still leaks water the exact same as when the valve is on. I would've thought turning off the value would stop any water from going into the bum gun therefore no leak from it.

Edited by bbi1
  • Confused 3

7 minutes ago, G_Money said:

After the valve is closed release the remaining pressure and water left over simply by activating the nozzle.  The remaining pressure/water will be released.

How long do you have to hold the lever to activate the nozzle to release the remaining pressure? I held it for over a minute after closing the bum gun valve, and the water just keeps on dripping out of the nozzle at a decent pace. If I stop holding the lever, the water just keeps dripping down the side of the hose. The bum gun valve has been fully closed. Do I also need to fully close the next valve that supplies water to the toilet cistern too?

Edited by bbi1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

If just dripping when press for spray should not be any issue to install a new nozzle.  Often shut off valves do not close completely as are seldom used.  It could also just be a loose nozzle with leakage from poor seal to rubber washer of washer old/hard and need new one.  But a new nozzle (or even complete set) is not that much.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

How long do you have to hold the lever to activate the nozzle to release the remaining pressure? I held it for over a minute after closing the bum gun valve, and the water just keeps on dripping out of the nozzle at a decent pace. If I stop holding the lever, the water just keeps dripping down the side of the hose. The bum gun valve has been fully closed. Do I also need to fully close the next valve that supplies water to the toilet cistern too?

the pressure should be released within seconds.

from your description it appears the valve may have to be replaced due to age, deposits etc

6 minutes ago, G_Money said:

the pressure should be released within seconds.

from your description it appears the valve may have to be replaced due to age, deposits etc

If the valve needs to be replaced, surely it would be the landlords responsibility as this has nothing to do with the tenant as it's a fixture into the building of the existing plumbing? Maybe I'll just buy a new bum gun and ask the condo technician to fix it.

Edited by bbi1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

If the spray is just a dribble when spray head is pressed on the valve is not the issue - the spray head/hose are what needs to be checked.  As said a dribble from wall will not prevent this check/change.  If you have the same strong spray with wall valve turned on and off - then the main supply line would have to be turned off when making replacement (and wall valve should then be changed).  But this does not sound like what you describe.  

14 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Just attach the new bum gun, you are in the bathroom, so a bit of water spilled won't hurt you. 

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

If the valve needs to be replaced, surely it would be the landlords responsibility as this has nothing to do with the tenant as it's a fixture into the building of the existing plumbing?

Finally the correct answer. 

• Confused 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

Not sure of the law but common practicality should probably suggest the answer. Fix it yourself, for goodness' sake! Are you completely helpless?

Acceptable replacements are not expensive and 5 minutes and easy to install.  Available at Home Pro, Global, Thai Watsadu, Big C etc. 

4 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

If the valve needs to be replaced, surely it would be the landlords responsibility as this has nothing to do with the tenant as it's a fixture into the building of the existing plumbing?

You might think so, and the landlord could even agree (possibly not but probably) and in 6 months or more may eventually do something. 
However if you want it working well today then you do it or pay for someone to do it, then you can try to get the landlord to allow you to deduct it from your next rent payment. Some will, some will not

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, IvorBiggun2 said:
10 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Finally the correct answer. 

But rarely worth the effort.  If he is really so concerned I wonder why he hasn't just asked the landlord/agent to do it?

2 minutes ago, sungod said:

Actually raises a very good point, slightly off topic but who should I contact for changing a light bulb?

4 strong Thai men, who will turn around the table you stand on while you hold the bulb

• Agree 1