Foreign man caught damaging police wheel clamp

snoop1130

1 hour ago, thesetat said:

It also begs me to ask the question about where the news services got the idea that other Thais were complaining this man

Very important. Why weren't they listed? First, there was TikTok. Then it was reposted on social media platforms by news agencies and local news pages. Have you heard of facebook or Khaosod?  Do you read Thai? If you knew the names of WHICH social media platforms, what would you do with that information? Issue threats, argue?

1 hour ago, thesetat said:

Especially since most Thais would have done the same with more success and I have yet to see a Thai driver actually follow every traffic law. 

Yep, that's our official position. All Thai crims gotta be caught and fully prosecuted first. The Red Bull heir has to be brought to justice. Only then can farang be criticized in this country in which they're mere visitors, let alone fined, arrested, or charged.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Here we are again folks, another day another misleading headline. 

Why did a cop a Traffic cop no less film him breaking a Padlock instead of approaching him to stop him, was it him that put the chain on? and just waited until he could fine him more for destroying property? who actually owned the padlock and chain? What is the % cops get from fines I've forgotten. Sounds a bit like entrapment, no pun intended.

bi.jpg.d2a08402435e0526be983989f34ba09e.jpg a wheel CLAMP

The article states the video was shared by the 'TikTok user, @_neung132, who appears to be a traffic police officer in the Phuket province'...

But, it is not mentioned who actually filmed the video...  my guess is a member of public did and then sent it to the BiB, who then shared it.

(as usual - the article lacks a certain clarity).

Generally, if caught parking illegally, the BiB lock your vehicle, then move on to other vehicles on their rounds and return to the station. 

If your vehicle is locked you can't see the BiB nearby, you then have to go to the station, pay the fine, then bribe the BiB to 'ride back to your vehicle to unlock it' on your time, or just hang around for them to do it when they are ready.

• Like 1

Lucky it was only around the wheel; one time my wheel was just barely in the red zone and came out to find a large chain wrapped all the way over my bike, wheel and seat both, along with several other bikes. The ticket was under the chain, once paid, an officer came and unchained the bike. Luckily my bike wasn't that new so not a big deal.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

The article states the video was shared by the 'TikTok user, @_neung132, who appears to be a traffic police officer in the Phuket province'...

But, it is not mentioned who actually filmed the video...  my guess is a member of public did and then sent it to the BiB, who then shared it.

(as usual - the article lacks a certain clarity).

Generally, if caught parking illegally, the BiB lock your vehicle, then move on to other vehicles on their rounds and return to the station. 

If your vehicle is locked you can't see the BiB nearby, you then have to go to the station, pay the fine, then bribe the BiB to 'ride back to your vehicle to unlock it' on your time, or just hang around for them to do it when they are ready.

No mention of a ticket being attached though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

No mention of a ticket being attached though.

True...   there was no ticket on our car when it was clamped - Wife actually phoned the local police station who then sent out Plod on their motorcycle - we were lucky we didn't have to go to the station and waste a lot more time. 

Another time, we saw the policeman nearby 'doing another car'...  we just gave him some money and he undid the clamp. 

So.. I'm not sure they actually do give out tickets, the mere act of clamping means you've been caught out... Although that could be different in different areas and even with different policemen.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

Appears to me that the use of these drastic means to immobilize a motorbike, is because of the non-respect of road laws by Thais in Thailand.

So as a Farang, it appears unfair to prevent someone from using his own motorbike, to go pay a fine, for example. The motorbike gets LOCKED. I remember thinking how stupid that was. So much inconvenience, as a result of not understanding parking rules here... Must lose time, pay for a taxi to get to the Police station, pay the fine, get back to the motorbike, and wait for an officer to come and remove the lock, proof of fine payment in hand....

But then any civilized way of doing this, like just writing a ticket, would not be respected by Thai people. Would not pay.

So some drastic actions are taken by Thai governments, because Thais do not respect the laws.

These road divider separating the two directions of traffic on the same road. Very inconvenient, but the only way to prevent drivers to drive in the fashion of sailboats... Laws will not do it.

But then, we have to get used to it.... The law of the land, no matter how unfair they appear....

So in the west we have wheellocks because westerners don't respect the laws?

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

but for others to call for 'legal charges' does start to smell of xenophobic over-reaction...  If it was a Thai guy would the same sanctimonious puritans ask for clarification of charges ?

A phenomenon created I'm afraid, by the internet and in particular, social media.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

So in the west we have wheellocks because westerners don't respect the laws?

Yes quite right. But for people who have a history of not respecting the laws.

In the United States, the device became known as a "Denver boot" after the city of Denver, Colorado, which was the first place in the country to employ them, mostly to force the payment of outstanding parking tickets.[4]

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

But then any civilized way of doing this, like just writing a ticket, would not be respected by Thai people. Would not pay.

Usual bigotry to claim Thais aren't civilized. Clamping also used in the West, same reason.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/30/2024 at 7:26 PM, snoop1130 said:

foreign motorcycle rider was angry that the wheel clamp was preventing him from getting around.

The guy was angry. 🤔

He broke the law, now dear Petal 🌼is angry, omg, bloody snowflakes. 

Sadly, this behavior is common in the west these days, mainly caused by poor parenting. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

Yes quite right. But for people who have a history of not respecting the laws.

In the United States, the device became known as a "Denver boot" after the city of Denver, Colorado, which was the first place in the country to employ them, mostly to force the payment of outstanding parking tickets.[4]

Your claim "is because of the non-respect of road laws by Thais in Thailand" is simply nonsense. People who park illegally get clamped, here and in the west.

• Thanks 1

On 1/30/2024 at 8:57 PM, richard_smith237 said:

If it was a Thai guy would the same sanctimonious puritans ask for clarification of charges ?

Maybe, just maybe, if you could read and understand the Thai language, you could read and understand the comments from the outraged sanctimonious puritans Thai netizens rather than posting another tedious whataboutism comment. IMHO, this fascination with Thai dual-standards is renting far too much space between your ears, and that's not good for you (or us).

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

51 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Their country, their bandwidth, their time.

Not wrong, if their are retired.

Sadly, from my observations, for active Thais an honest day's work is 45% of bitching with coworkers, 45 "netizening" with 10% left for their employers.

3 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:
3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Their country, their bandwidth, their time.

Not wrong, if their are retired.

Sadly, from my observations, for active Thais an honest day's work is 45% of bitching with coworkers, 45 "netizening" with 10% left for their employers.

Versus what now? Cantankerous over entitled farangs beating their gums 100% on anonymous online forums? If you're really talking about your observations of Thai people in the Thai workplace, rather than watching, haven't you got a job or something?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

You claim "is because of the non-respect of road laws by Thais in Thailand", which is simply nonsense unless you're willing to admit that in the west the same issue exists. But since you love Thai bashing you can't admit to that.
Road dividers and wheel clamps are something different.

Please, please, describe for all members, all that you see that is so civilized in this country.

So what I describe can be looked at as untrue.

I am describing what I see, and you describe what I see as something bad, even refer to my description as Thai bashing. You are the one who is using this word, not me,

So for you to use this word, means that what I DESCRIBE, is something that is bad. If you cannot describe how untrue it is, then you are the one Thai bashing, by using this word....

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1