Phuket To Koh Lanta, Which Options?

thaigerd

We drove there about 2 months ago. Was really easy. Left Kata about 08.00, drove at a calm pace, and we arrived at our Lanta hotel by 12.30. Just take the road to Krabi, take the Krabi by pass, and go on about another 20 Km, where you turn right and drive another 30 Km to the first ferry. Clearly sign posted. 2 ferries with car and 1 pax cost about 150 baht.

I've heard of a ferry from Phukt to Lanta, but not sure it runs in the low season. You could get a public bus from Phuket Town to Krabi, then the ferry fom Krabi to Lanta. Or talk to any tour shop and maybe there is a shared mini bus all the way to Lanta.

Be aware that Lanta is very very quiet in the low season, many places close down from 1st May (we arrived 5 May). Quite hard to find a decent resturant (other than hotel).

Edited by LivinginKata

Well I think the Lanta boat would have shut for the May - Oct season.. Thats what I had read.

Other options are the usual minibus, inter province slow bus, or a private driver.

Personally I find it a nice drive.. Round to Krabi is all pretty good roads.. Then Krabi Lanta easy.. 2 boat rides and your over.. Plus the west coast of Lanta is one long road the entire Island so having some transport may help once there??

Someone posted a Krabi Phuket boat timetable recently.. Now IF that runs in the low season there is also a Krabi Lanta boat.. No real info on them but you could check if they are running and if they are able to make it in one day. Could also check the Phi Phi option ??

My speedboat guy said he wasnt able to go over to Lanta, he said he didnt have the 'right papers' tho I guess it may be a local mafia thing more truthfully. Plus it would be a long old way in a bumpy boat !!